• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NT Musician

Reverie

In orbit
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx
I would say Nick Cave. I'm not entirely sure what brand of NT though ...maybe INTJ or ENTP.

I skimmed through an interview of Serj Tankian in a paper where he said something very Ni-ish about himself as a person not being the author of his songs.Like he just fishes them out of some etheric song space. A kind of a scribe for the muses.... and when the journalist said it's not possible he began to just rip the guy a new one. Hurled every possible insult on the guy... ...maybe INTJ ( no offense INTJs)

I think Marilyn Manson is an NT, personally. I read his autobiography. It did not scream "feeler" to me. None of his lyrics (read up to -96 when I stopped buying his records) are "we" in any way, which I'd really really expect from a supposed INFJ.

IRL I think the punk scene is a good place to find ENTPs and INTPs a plenty... ;)

Last edited:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm a composer, yet I find music completely opposite of my NTness. I'm a different person there.
I perform and occasionally arrange rather than compose, but I can understand this. Not so much that I am a different person when I play, but it allows me to express a much different side of myself from my other pursuits.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Seen strong cases for Maynard James Keenan (A Perfect Circle and other related acts) being an INTP. I would agree based on his lyrics. I am also fairly certain that Marilyn Manson is an INTP.

When I write music though, I do it with an NF perspective.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Eminem: quite possibly INTJ
Bruce Dickinson: ENTP
Billie Joe Armstrong: ENTP

Bruce Dickinson is more likely ESTP. I mean, the guy used to be a member of the British fencing team, and his favorite hobby is to fly with aircrafts. His lyrics are also ESTP-ish. So much Se in it, in my opinion. I mean, you are supposed to take the lyrics literarily in how they describe a certain experience or emotion. All the sensory details point towards the inward experience (inferior Ni).

Songwriters: DICKINSON, BRUCE / SMITH, ADRIAN
Slowly bleeding, watch the vortex feeding
Like a swirling vulture on your face
Every hour the unseen rays devour
Your screaming eyes cry out but they are blind

Father, forgive me my sins
Give me the nails, I'll hammer them in

The road to hell is full of good intentions
Say farewell, we may never meet again
Get on the left-hand highway with no sinister regrets

Brave new world of secret fantasy
That hovers just beyond your bloody grasp
Close enough to thrill, the danger of the kill
Price for failure of your will

Father, forgive us our sins
'Cause we're all the junkies who never can win

Down the left-hand highway with no sinister regrets

Father, forgive me my sins
Give me the nails, I'll hammer them in

Parody of hope is the one that I must kill
We all have to live with our family inventions

sprint race

Off the top of my head...

Frank Zappa - INTP
Cedric Bixler-Zavala - INTP
Isaac Brock - INTP
Robert Fripp - INTP
Syd Barrett - INTX
Maynard James Keenan - INTX
Gord Downie - INTJ
Zach de la Rocha - INTJ
Tom Morello - INTJ
Omar Rodriguez-Lopez - INTJ
Steve Vai - ENTP
Neil Peart - ENTP
Weird Al - ENTP

Neil peart definately doesn't seem to like debates or challenging other peoples views the way an ENTP would. Granted he often can talk the hind leg of a donkey but i'm fairly confident this is because he has aspergers, not because he's an extrovert type. I could see him being a number of introvert types to be honest - INTP, INTJ,INFP and ISTJ all seem to fit him to one degree or another.

sprint race

Sounds about right. The few songs Geddy has written lyrics for seem to be introspective and emotion based, i.e. "Tears," and he seems to have a really dry sense of humor shared by many IN's.

As for Alex Lifeson, the lyrics he's written are more about learning from your experiences, etc. and aren't very emotion based. He also has varied interests including motorcycle riding and flying planes. So he seems pretty ESTP.

Geddy doesn't seem INFP at all to me. I think he's an STP or and NFJ (whether intovert or enxtrovert i can't tell).

sprint race

I think Kurt Cobain was a unhinged INTP, who had aspergers (there are interviews where he interprets questions very literally), and this condition gave him anger-regulating difficulties a la craig nicholls. Not that INTP's don't typically have anger issues cos they usually do, but over the long-term they usually find a way to effectively deal with it, and usually want to cos they don't like succumbing to illogical things like intense emotions. Kurt Cobain was different because of his condition. Add constant drug taking into the mix and no wonder he was so angry. However people look at how emotional he was and conclude he was INFP, and that seems to be the ONLY reason people come to that conclusion. For me his cynical nature and nihilism point to INTP. The fact that his emotions weren't heavily expressed through facial expressions, or by any external expression other than screaming doesn't mean he was an Fi user, as again having aspergers can give you a blunt affect, where its not obvious on the outside what your feeling no matter how intensely emotional your feeling on the inside.