MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Eminem: quite possibly INTJ
    Bruce Dickinson: ENTP
    Billie Joe Armstrong: ENTP
    4w5 sp

From what i've read in this topic and the vast research on him, i would say there's a good chance maynard keenan is intj rather than intp. For one he's definately an N, Ni would be my best guess, just because of the weird song titles, themes and the fact that he wants the listener to figure out their own meaning for the songs, rather than wanting the listener to understand the metaphor in the context that it was constructed(Ne?). You can also see a very obvious development of functions in his career. Opiate and Undertow were very much NT-driven albums, and very forthright in the opinions presented however in Aenema there were some very reflective lyrics, like in the song H. Lateralus continued upon this road and i thought was very nf driven, except in a sort of more intelligent than usual way. Perhaps a demonstration of a development of Fi?

I've also read he did exceptionally well in maths in his days in the army(which he did so they could pay for him to go to university for sculpture lol). I think he was raised in a very J household, ESTJ (step)father, infj mother? Thats just a huge guess. He also seems extremely dedicated to his winery. All of that could go either way i suppose.. Who knows, however i did read Bill Hicks once supported them on tour. Now that would've been a kick ass show.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    --Pete Wentz (bass/lyrics) of Fall Out Boy is about as narcissistic-ENTP as it gets. You guys can laugh at me for it but I'm actually a fan of this band, and every lyric (plus the ridiculously over the top, almost self-mocking song title puns!) is dripping with double-meanings and sardonic venom. ("Make us poster boys for your scene, but we are not making an acceptance speech / I found the safest place to keep all our old mistakes / Every dotcom's refreshing for a journal update." "So hum hallelujah, just off the key of reason / I thought I loved you, it was just how you looked in the light / A teenage vow in a parking lot / Till tonight do us part / I sing the blues and you swallow them too.") and so on and so forth. He openly tells us repeatedly in the lyrics to his records that he is conning us for millions of dollars in record/ticket/merch sales, but the masses are "so stupid" that they keep buying it anyway--I can hardly think of something more attractive to the self-brilliance-obsessed ENTP.
    Agreed on all points. Wentz's lyrics are very Ne and, whatever one might think of the band, quite clever. He could hardly be anything but ENTP. I get a kick out of Fall Out Boy, mainly for the sardonic lyrics (and, yes, ridiculously catchy music).

No, they are both solidly NF. I've seen them live a whole bunch of times and actually met both of them at least once after shows; Linnell is INFJ and Flansburgh is ENFP (Flans tends to come out and talk to fans more often, as well as being responsible for most of their stage banter.)

Linnell's lyrics are also more INFJ in nature--introspective, replete with irony, deadpan humor, allusions to other works and even self-mocking at times, Linnell's songs are the ones that usually try to offer a serious commentary about the way we all work together in this big crazy world, and the tragic implications of emotional disconnection--though still with an obvious respect for the power of love. (One of my favorites is "They'll Need a Crane!" Check it out.)
    First, agreed that the They Might be Giants guys are likely NF. I could see thinking that Flansburgh is NT, but Linnell is definitely NF. Second, your description of INFJ Linnell's lyrics reminded me heavily of Morrissey's -- and as an INFJ, I really appreciate both, so that makes a lot of sense.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Music tends to attract more F's than T's, so that means finding profession NT musicians is going to be fairly difficult.
    Why do you think that ? The beauty in classical music played on a piano is something incredibly calming on the mind + soul.
    Lost Frequencies - All or Nothing

"People do not like you to be different. If ever in your life you act differently from others, you will find it so, mademoiselle."
    ~Saint's Progress by John Galsworthy

MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

It should also be noted that it's not the same being a musician that being successful in the world of music, maybe NTs just lack the discipline and patience required, or even the faith in their own project (faith being some kind of distant dream/happiness/objective/goal, though that'll be diferent for Ps or Js).

Maybe NTs keep the music for themselves xD.
    For Sure!

I$•: xNTP, 5w4, Aries, and so damn sexy you'd scream and cry.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    3w2 so

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6yuR8efotI"]Cello Suite No.1 i[/YOUTUBE]
    Lost Frequencies - All or Nothing

"People do not like you to be different. If ever in your life you act differently from others, you will find it so, mademoiselle."
    ~Saint's Progress by John Galsworthy

Are there really a plethora of SJ musicians? News to me.
    "There is no god; there is only us. Savage and fragile."

Senior Member Array Samurai Drifter's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Neil Peart gives me an awfully INFP vibe, but I haven't read/watched his personality all that much, so maybe not.
    Neil Peart is almost certainly an INTP. He doesn't like being famous, and his songs are often philosophical as well as critical of religion, spirituality, and collectivism. In other words, he's reserved, skeptical, individualistic, and speculative.
    Hands in the air, it's a robbery.

Junior Member Array
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Isy View Post
    It should also be noted that it's not the same being a musician that being successful in the world of music, maybe NTs just lack the discipline and patience required, or even the faith in their own project (faith being some kind of distant dream/happiness/objective/goal, though that'll be diferent for Ps or Js).

Maybe NTs keep the music for themselves xD.
    Every NT musician I've ever known writes and usually keeps their music for themselves. It only makes sense to do it that way as an NT. There's no point in compromising it for an audience because then you won't enjoy it. Music in its most raw pure form isn't watered down and compromised and that's why most professional NT musicians are the most authentic, innovating, and original. I don't think being successful in the world of music carries any weight with an NT, as long as they know they're doing something right.

Freshman Member Array simulatedworld's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Drifter View Post
    Neil Peart is almost certainly an INTP. He doesn't like being famous, and his songs are often philosophical as well as critical of religion, spirituality, and collectivism. In other words, he's reserved, skeptical, individualistic, and speculative.
    Fair enough. I'd say Geddy is definitely INFP, though, and Alex Lifeson comes across as rather ESTP, in the few interviews I've read.

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by DennisThePenetrator View Post
    Every NT musician I've ever known writes and usually keeps their music for themselves. It only makes sense to do it that way as an NT. There's no point in compromising it for an audience because then you won't enjoy it. Music in its most raw pure form isn't watered down and compromised and that's why most professional NT musicians are the most authentic, innovating, and original. I don't think being successful in the world of music carries any weight with an NT, as long as they know they're doing something right.
    Nope, that's not an NT thing. It's an introvert thing.

ENTs have a much greater need to prove competence and be appreciated for it.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast