User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: NT Musician

MBTI
    ENTP

I always thought Van Morrison was an INTP.

I'm arty. I'm a musician (I play six instruments and have done vocal grades & I write songs too), I do amateur photography and I paint and sketch. And I have performed on stage a lot in the past, too.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    No, they are both solidly NF. I've seen them live a whole bunch of times and actually met both of them at least once after shows; Linnell is INFJ and Flansburgh is ENFP (Flans tends to come out and talk to fans more often, as well as being responsible for most of their stage banter.)

Linnell's lyrics are also more INFJ in nature--introspective, replete with irony, deadpan humor, allusions to other works and even self-mocking at times, Linnell's songs are the ones that usually try to offer a serious commentary about the way we all work together in this big crazy world, and the tragic implications of emotional disconnection--though still with an obvious respect for the power of love. (One of my favorites is "They'll Need a Crane!" Check it out.)

Flansburgh's songs are more just about funny, zany, off the wall things. He's outwardly creative with a finely honed sense of personal warmth and charm, but his main focus is to be an entertainer above all--and it works; every band needs a frontman. Robot Parade ftw!!
    Well we are all just guessing on these types, but they seem to sing a whole lot about science for a couple of NF's. I'm still pretty sure that Flansburgh is an ENTP.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    --Brian "Dexter" Holland (vocals/guitar) of The Offspring, believe it or not, has a doctorate in molecular biology and was Valedictorian of his high school class. This guy has to be an NT, and probably some sort of NTJ at that. Best guess: ENTJ.
    Makes perfect sense to me.. his lyrics are very direct and forceful. You can hear it in his voice, too.

Bad Religion's Graffin and Pennywise's Lindberg also have to be NT's, probably xNTJ's. The Descendents and many other similar punk bands.. probably the same.

From Graffin's stage performance and lyrics, I'd guess INTJ. His lyrics aren't typically as creative as their other primary songwriter's (Mr. Brett), but they're definitely opinionated and usually more.. well, direct. He's also got a doctorate in zoology and teaches at UCLA.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    :run

I don't know about Ben Folds being INTP but Isaac Brock (from Modest Mouse) definitely is.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    I've seen pretty strong cases made for Jay-Z being an INTJ. Trent Reznor for sure.

INTP musicians, though... I'm extremely interested to see other candidates people cite. (Not being sarcastic.)
    Paul Banks of Interpol is def. INTP.

Kool Moe Dee, also likely.

(Reznor is ENTP.)

Off the top of my head...

Frank Zappa - INTP
    Cedric Bixler-Zavala - INTP
    Isaac Brock - INTP
    Robert Fripp - INTP
    Syd Barrett - INTX
    Maynard James Keenan - INTX
    Gord Downie - INTJ
    Zach de la Rocha - INTJ
    Tom Morello - INTJ
    Omar Rodriguez-Lopez - INTJ
    Steve Vai - ENTP
    Neil Peart - ENTP
    Weird Al - ENTP

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

My dad is an INTP, and he's been a drummer for about 50 years, him being 56. He's a pro. He also plays about 6 string instruments and writes songs, and has about 200 songs memorized for the band he's in.
    () 9w8-4w3-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Well we are all just guessing on these types, but they seem to sing a whole lot about science for a couple of NF's. I'm still pretty sure that Flansburgh is an ENTP.
    They sing about science in that "isn't-it-cute-and-wonderful-that-we're-teaching-kids-with-our-lyrics?" kind of way. Flans is ridiculously F, I'd say, but at least we can agree he's certainly an Ne dominant.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisThePenetrator View Post

Frank Zappa - INTP
    Cedric Bixler-Zavala - INTP
    Isaac Brock - INTP
    Robert Fripp - INTP
    Syd Barrett - INTX
    Maynard James Keenan - INTX
    Gord Downie - INTJ
    Zach de la Rocha - INTJ
    Tom Morello - INTJ
    Omar Rodriguez-Lopez - INTJ
    Steve Vai - ENTP
    Neil Peart - ENTP
    Weird Al - ENTP
    I read somewhere that Cedric and Omar are both INFJs. I still tend to think INTJ more for Omar, but after considering it, INFJ makes a lot of sense for Cedric.

MJK I used to type as INTJ but now am pretty certain he's INTP. He's way too self-absorbed and obsessed with proving his own brilliance for the goal-oriented INTJ.

Neil Peart gives me an awfully INFP vibe, but I haven't read/watched his personality all that much, so maybe not.

The only one on your list that really gives me pause is Zach de la Rocha. Have you listened to him speak? He's constantly focused on his moral crusades and educating the public about his important causes and so on. I agree on the N and J, but I get a hardcore NFJ vibe from him, probably ENFJ. He's a little angrier than most, but it's there.

Quote Originally Posted by greed View Post
    From Graffin's stage performance and lyrics, I'd guess INTJ. His lyrics aren't typically as creative as their other primary songwriter's (Mr. Brett), but they're definitely opinionated and usually more.. well, direct. He's also got a doctorate in zoology and teaches at UCLA.
    INTJ is probably a good guess for Graffin, but I think INTP is equally likely. He has a pretty apparent Ne penchant for concocting borderline-pedantic wordings and phrases just for their own aesthetic value (INxJs usually don't have time to play this game), and his metaphors and lyrical tricks don't seem as bizarre and seemingly unrelated as those of most Ni dominant lyricists do. This is all speculative, of course, but he sounds pretty Ne+Ti in his mission to turn the world against God! (Bear in mind this is coming from a big BR fan.)

From what I've seen, Ne tends to use metaphors that, if you're clever, you can connect the dots and discern the meaning, because it's based in externalized patterns that are out there just waiting for anyone who notices them to figure it out. Ne desires to be understood and appreciated by others. Ni dominant lyricists, on the other hand, because they don't give a shit if the symbolic connections they've discovered internally make sense to anyone other than themselves, often seem totally out of left field and too vague to really discern specific meaning from--it's all about the symbolism; they'd much rather offer a vague analogy that summarizes the general feeling/thought process that inspired the song than actually make sure to use lyrics that other people can piece together (see Thom Yorke of Radiohead--big time INFJ.)

Ne wants people to guess the particular meaning from the clues provided; Ni just wants to get the message of that song out in whatever form is most internally therapeutic--externalized meaning be damned. Graffin's lyrics are typically very pointedly about particular topics, though he still makes you read between the lines a little to pick it up. (Also, I think Graffin's lyrics are usually more interesting than Gurewitz's...what songs convince you otherwise, out of curiosity?)

I work with an INFJ guitarist/songwriter who always puts the wackiest, most irrelevant titles on his songs, with no apparent relation to the lyrics or song topic (if the topic can even be discerned without explicit explanation from the writer) whatsoever. It's obvious to him, of course, how they symbolize what he wanted, but Ni doesn't care if anyone else can follow or understand the train of connections.

How about Gurewitz, though? xNTP sound right?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

The only one on your list that really gives me pause is Zach de la Rocha. Have you listened to him speak? He's constantly focused on his moral crusades and educating the public about his important causes and so on. I agree on the N and J, but I get a hardcore NFJ vibe from him, probably ENFJ. He's a little angrier than most, but it's there.
    Yeah you're right. I didn't even realize I put him on the list, I thought I only had Morello. I thought Zack was INFJ but ENFJ makes a lot of sense. Also I didn't realize I put Gord Downie there either who I believe is INFJ.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Socionics
    SLI

Quote Originally Posted by DennisThePenetrator View Post

Frank Zappa - INTP
    Well, the little quiz thingy I took said famous ISTP's included Frank Zappa.

Also:

INTP musician: Busdriver

INT(J?) musician: MC Frontalot