User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: The E in ENTP

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Default The E in ENTP

I have taken the mbti test in many different places many different times over the years and have always come back an ENTP. My percentages have started to come down from the 90s but I just took it again and it had my E down to 55%..

So here's my question, with an ENTP, we're pretty off in our own world and while I tend to make myself spend time with people because I know I need it I also NEED a lot of time to be in my own brain. My thought after answering the questions was that every question like "you require a lot of alone time" I totally agreed but also every question like "you feel comfortable in a large crowd" I totally agreed.

I guess it just sorta feels like a flaw in the tests for ENTPs simply because it seemingly wouldn't be possible for an ENTP to be 100% E as that's diametrically opposed to the amount of time we need to plot and question life.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I remember several threads about this, some very recent. Perhaps a title search for ENTP would come in handy.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

I remember several threads about this, some very recent. Perhaps a title search for ENTP would come in handy.
    Didn't go past a title search but I did already do that prior to posting this.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by TucsonENTP View Post
    I have taken the mbti test in many different places many different times over the years and have always come back an ENTP. My percentages have started to come down from the 90s but I just took it again and it had my E down to 55%..

So here's my question, with an ENTP, we're pretty off in our own world and while I tend to make myself spend time with people because I know I need it I also NEED a lot of time to be in my own brain. My thought after answering the questions was that every question like "you require a lot of alone time" I totally agreed but also every question like "you feel comfortable in a large crowd" I totally agreed.

I guess it just sorta feels like a flaw in the tests for ENTPs simply because it seemingly wouldn't be possible for an ENTP to be 100% E as that's diametrically opposed to the amount of time we need to plot and question life.
    I think it has been mentioned a couple of other times, but I find that the easiest way to explain it is that for the ENTP extraversion isn't necessarily about people, but rather ideas. We view discussion as a means to explore our ideas through constructive dialogue.

Yes, we do need time to reflect on these ideas and assess where we are in regards to our logical thought process, but we are still engaging in extraversion to help drive the process. It is for this reason that I don't believe that the tests are inaccurate, because as a quantitative measurement there is still a definitive cut off point at 50 percent.

The MBTI gives just an indication of a person's preferences, and from that point I think it is up to the individual to decipher and take from it what they want. The Introversion-Extraversion axis is always context specific regards of the number score, so I probably wouldn't trouble yourself so much with finding a definitive score.
    Good Dog Nigel

Arf, arf, he goes, a merry sight,
    Our little hairy friend,
    Arf, arf, upon the lampost bright
    Arfing round the bend.
    Nice dog! Goo boy,
    Waggie tail and beg,
    Clever Nigel, jump for joy
    Because we're putting you to sleep at three of the clock, Nigel. -John Lennon

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Snowey1210 View Post
    I think it has been mentioned a couple of other times, but I find that the easiest way to explain it is that for the ENTP extraversion isn't necessarily about people, but rather ideas. We view discussion as a means to explore our ideas through constructive dialogue.

Yes, we do need time to reflect on these ideas and assess where we are in regards to our logical thought process, but we are still engaging in extraversion to help drive the process. It is for this reason that I don't believe that the tests are inaccurate, because as a quantitative measurement there is still a definitive cut off point at 50 percent.

The MBTI gives just an indication of a person's preferences, and from that point I think it is up to the individual to decipher and take from it what they want. The Introversion-Extraversion axis is always context specific regards of the number score, so I probably wouldn't trouble yourself so much with finding a definitive score.

Very interesting.
    Om–ba–ara–minaya–sabaha
    4w5 sx/so/sp

MBTI
    ENTP

Snowey1210 makes a valid point. I almost have to dream and think with other people to transmute my lead into gold; conversational alchemy. Other people catalyze what is inside me and it all comes bubbling out. I think it is because my thinking is so associative and my mind is normally difficult to quiet. So, around others my attention is focused.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    LoLz

Interesting stuff. So, ENTPs can come off as introverts?

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by raz1337 View Post
    Interesting stuff. So, ENTPs can come off as introverts?
    In social situations I imagine I often come off as a misanthrope; abrasive and aloof yet socially interacting. Other times, if I am feeling "on", I will be effusive and charming. It depends on my mood and the energy of the people around me. But, I would say that many people might see me as an introvert in the sense that I am not reliably warm or accessible.

MBTI
    LoLz

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    In social situations I imagine I often come off as a misanthrope; abrasive and aloof yet socially interacting. Other times, if I am feeling "on", I will be effusive and charming. It depends on my mood and the energy of the people around me. But, I would say that many people might see me as an introvert in the sense that I am not reliably warm or accessible.
    I'm thinking this guy is an ENTP.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5Pe75Zn6x8"]Sly Winkle[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by raz1337 View Post
    I'm thinking this guy is an ENTP.
    I related to that, though I was more of a nerd. Always scheming though. Trying to find the angle.