User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Thread: INTJ humor

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    True. I've noticed that some of the stuff INTJs call humor isn't really humor. It's a morbid observation said in the same tone as everything else they say. And then they act all surprised when you didn't "get it," because, after all, they had pegged you as smart. No, I got that it was a weird thing to say...you just didn't go far enough for it to be an actual joke. In order to do deadpan, you have to have the "over-the-top" element. There are obviously exceptions, but a lot of INTJs are more unintentionally funny than funny in earnest.

This isn't meant to be a dig on INTJs--just kind of explains why their humor isn't reaching other types like they want it to be. For instance, the Ethopian joke--it just feels like there should be more to it, something that makes it more clever than just "Get it? They don't have any food over there!" It needs a more original way to get that point across. Sometimes just the observation isn't enough.
    I'm going to have to agree with this. The problem is to INTJs the morbid observation IS the joke. For some reason we just find morbid things funny. It doesn't even have to be a joke. It could be something very serious and we might laugh. For example, assuming empathy doesn't interfere I could find a book about genocide absolutely hilarious. What INTJs don't usually understand is that most other types don't think like this. So it's kind of a hit or a miss for an INTJ to tell a joke.

In my opinion, an INTJ needs to understand the theory of making a good joke before they can really do so consistently. I've noticed that INTJs pay a lot of attention to the shock factor but forget the fundamental rule that a joke isn't funny unless it's told right. Remember INTJs: The funniest element of a joke is the setup, not the content. We need to understand that comedy is the art of trickery and deception.
    Is not to be held accuntable for peeling errors.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Shaula View Post
    I'm going to have to agree with this. The problem is to INTJs the morbid observation IS the joke. For some reason we just find morbid things funny. It doesn't even have to be a joke. It could be something very serious and we might laugh. For example, assuming empathy doesn't interfere I could find a book about genocide absolutely hilarious. What INTJs don't usually understand is that most other types don't think like this. So it's kind of a hit or a miss for an INTJ to tell a joke.

In my opinion, an INTJ needs to understand the theory of making a good joke before they can really do so consistently. I've noticed that INTJs pay a lot of attention to the shock factor but forget the fundamental rule that a joke isn't funny unless it's told right. Remember INTJs: The funniest element of a joke is the setup, not the content. We need to understand that comedy is the art of trickery and deception.
    I think when INTJs mix a morbid observation with a bit of wit, that's a legitimate joke. But just a morbid observation alone is cheap (unless timing is perfect), especially if you've been around the person for a while, and there is no more "surprise" factor to it, like the first couple times you heard it.

deleted

My INTP friend always says what a weird sense of humor I have.

Humor? I didn't know I have a sense of humor.

I guess the more evil an INTJ, the more their humor comes alive.

Thus I am evil from his point of view. Something I knew nothing about.

I do make jokes that I believe to be quite hilarious on occasion, but no one including me laughs. Isn't that the point of a joke, that's so funny I forgot to laugh?

I do laugh in random circumstance, but I doubt it is my humor causing it.

My jokes are not design to be funny. At least not to average people.

When I tell a "joke" my intention is not to make people laugh and if someone does, that is even better. It is just that I like to shock people from time to time and watch reactions. Plus, because of the introversion I have the element of suprise what makes it even more interesting.

deleted

Element of surprise is one of my greatest advantages, because I am the most introverted person I know.

Few days ago I shocked my old grandmother. She fell so she has a giant bruise on one side of her head.

Since she was so full of enthusiasm I have figured out that she is testing me.

Grandmother: Come here and look at it. Isn't it wonderful ?
    Me: If you like I can make you another one like that from the other side

You should see her face.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Few days ago I shocked my old grandmother. She fell so she has a giant bruise on one side of her head.

Since she was so full of enthusiasm I have figured out that she is testing me.

Grandmother: Come here and look at it. Isn't it wonderful ?
    Me: If you like I can make you another one like that from the other side

You should see her face.

So what did her face look like after you were done?

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post

So what did her face look like after you were done?
    I didn't do anything to phisically hurt her. It is just that she served herself on a plate. She knows how my jokes look like so it wasn't that bad.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I didn't do anything to physically hurt her. It is just that she served herself on a plate. She knows how my jokes look like so it wasn't that bad.
    This dear readers, is an example of humour miscommunication.

I saw your joke Anti and went with it

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    This dear readers, is an example of humour miscommunication.

I saw your joke Anti and went with it
    I know, since it was a short qustion that fits on my post quite well.
    The thing is that many people in real life think that I could do things I say.
    So I decided to explain myself rather then diging myself in this.