• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJ humor

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
I know, since it was a short qustion that fits on my post quite well.
The thing is that many people in real life think that I could do things I say.
So I decided to explain myself rather then diging myself in this.

You obviously left a dull impression on granny's mind.

Boom, boom.

MBTI Type
INTJ
My jokes are not design to be funny. At least not to average people.

When I tell a "joke" my intention is not to make people laugh and if someone does, that is even better. It is just that I like to shock people from time to time and watch reactions.

Then it's not a joke, it's just a grenade. That might be the root of the problem we have here about INTJ humor - some might not see that the purpose of a joke is to be funny.

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't really like morbid humor.
I do like sarcastic humor.
Also blunt humor.
Witty, also.

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
True. I've noticed that some of the stuff INTJs call humor isn't really humor. It's a morbid observation said in the same tone as everything else they say. And then they act all surprised when you didn't "get it," because, after all, they had pegged you as smart. No, I got that it was a weird thing to say...you just didn't go far enough for it to be an actual joke. In order to do deadpan, you have to have the "over-the-top" element. There are obviously exceptions, but a lot of INTJs are more unintentionally funny than funny in earnest.

This isn't meant to be a dig on INTJs--just kind of explains why their humor isn't reaching other types like they want it to be. For instance, the Ethopian joke--it just feels like there should be more to it, something that makes it more clever than just "Get it? They don't have any food over there!" It needs a more original way to get that point across. Sometimes just the observation isn't enough.

Hm yeah.
Often when I try to make jokes people don't get them.
However I often find that when I just make blunt observations or theories, people then laugh.

Hendo Barbarosa

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I've gotten more and more into sarcastic, but I find most people don't do it well enough. The best sarcastic humor happens in a moment, and timing is key. I like absurd humor a lot, personally. Non sequitur is a favorite. I love that scene in the Simpsons where, in a POW flashback in Vietnam an angry elephant like, swallows a dude whole, only to flash back to the present with Skinner saying "That elephant almost ate my entire platoon!"

Or something to that effect.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Then it's not a joke, it's just a grenade. That might be the root of the problem we have here about INTJ humor - some might not see that the purpose of a joke is to be funny.

I in my own deffence I am not doing this often, just when someone serves himself/herself on a plate.
It is a joke but some people can have problem with that kind of humor.
On the other hand some people trully love it when I hit someone with a blunt comment.

pippi

MBTI Type
xxxx
I in my own deffence I am not doing this often, just when someone serves himself/herself on a plate.
It is a joke but some people can have problem with that kind of humor.
On the other hand some people trully love it when I hit someone with a blunt comment.
If they serve themselves up then it's a very cheap brand of humor to point out the obvious. Someone else on this thread used the word "cheap" as well. I've learned that it's much more satisfying to dig a little deeper for the better quality jokes and avoid "cheap" humor, it does not reflect back on you very well. Sarcasm is best used sparingly, it has more impact that way.

There are lots of styles of humor and sometimes INTJs get stuck in a rut using only one or two of those. Sure maybe you'll look like a fool the first few times you try something else, but learning new tricks is worth it. Instead of always making fun of someone else learn to make fun of yourself. Learn how to add to someone else's humor, or set up a joke for them. Humor isn't all about delivering the punch line.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
If they serve themselves up then it's a very cheap brand of humor to point out the obvious. Someone else on this thread used the word "cheap" as well. I've learned that it's much more satisfying to dig a little deeper for the better quality jokes and avoid "cheap" humor, it does not reflect back on you very well. Sarcasm is best used sparingly, it has more impact that way.

They serve themselfs but they don't know they served them selfs. That is why it works.
Also I think that everybody should calculate in cultural differences when they post in this thread.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Since people think that I am robotic as a person I poke other people over that.

Other person: How are you today?:D
Me: All systems are functioning inside normal parameters. :dry:

OR

I wish you favorable statistical probability that is not obvious (aka:Good luck!)

It is interesting how people roll eyes on this kids of statements if you hit them by suprise.

Chimerical

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w5
*sigh*
INTJ's have really dry dry dry dry humor a lot of times. I get my hopes up thinking they'll be funny because I'm an INTJ only to reallize it's not.

Hazle Weatherfield

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w4
Well, are you INTJs telling jokes to actually get other people to laugh, or are you just amusing yourselves? I think that's a key question to ask here, and the answer might explain much of why others find it tough to get your "jokes," because maybe often times they are not actually jokes.

On another note, I chat with an INTJ nearly everyday and we find ourselves laughing a shit-ton together. He is sometimes my greatest source of laughter, chuckles and giggles in a given day.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Since people think that I am robotic as a person I poke other people over that.

Other person: How are you today?:D
Me: All systems are functioning inside normal parameters. :dry:

OR

I wish you favorable statistical probability that is not obvious (aka:Good luck!)

It is interesting how people roll eyes on this kids of statements if you hit them by suprise.

Yeah, that's because they have to have some context. If they had JUST poked fun at you for being a robot and you said something like that, they might laugh, because you are sharing a joke. But if they made a comment about you being a robot two weeks ago, and you bust out with this kind of stuff out of the blue? Yeah, they're not gonna get it. It's amusing to you, but it'll just seem weird to them. A lot of the time, if you're saying things that are just amusing to you, and others don't have a context for it, you're gonna come across as the resident weirdo.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Yeah, that's because they have to have some context. If they had JUST poked fun at you for being a robot and you said something like that, they might laugh, because you are sharing a joke. But if they made a comment about you being a robot two weeks ago, and you bust out with this kind of stuff out of the blue? Yeah, they're not gonna get it. It's amusing to you, but it'll just seem weird to them. A lot of the time, if you're saying things that are just amusing to you, and others don't have a context for it, you're gonna come across as the resident weirdo.

I am using that kind of jokes only on people who know me for sometime and they always think that I have some "unusual" traits.

In my culture rolling eyes are not always a negative response.

Btw I don't do this that often.

ColonelGadaafi

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
Si
I quite liked the INTJ humor expressed here. Edgar is adept at provoking laughter.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
I quite liked the INTJ humor expressed here. Edgar is adept at provoking laughter.

Yeah, I gots mad skillz, yo

skillz.jpg