123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Default ENTP Midlife Crisis

Any ENTPs here currently experiencing their midlife crisis or who have observed this phenomenon and can help me understand?

Midlife

At midlife ENTP's can allow their tendency to experiment recklessly to get out of hand and may destroy or discard the work of half a lifetime, both in personal relationships and in careers. Energy spent in sorting out priorities and values may be a good investment at this time. Developing an increased awareness of emotional reactions and expanding the intensity and range of these through self-development work may be something ENTP's might want to consider at midlife. An increased repertoire of introverted-type activities; for example, gardening, painting, or reading may be a source of pleasure to ENTP's.

ENTP - The Innovator

MBTI
    ENTP

Problem with your boss? I remember you mentioning him in a past thread. I don't know about any other ENTP's but I have had a midlife crisis since I was about eleven years old. We are just reckless and troublesome. I describe it as living in a storm. Doing quiet things helps me slow down. Slowing down the mind is key. I like to draw and read and go bird watching by myself. When I am in nature and watchful and mindful, it just feels so calming.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Yikes, I talk too much. *blush* I'm flattered you remember.

Um, it's possible it could be about my boss, could be just some, ah, hypothetical person. It has no direct effect on me so it's not really a problem for me, and they don't think it's a problem, but from the outside looking in, it's just shocking to see somebody go nuts just about the time you might think they'd be settling down (in their late 40's). It is like watching a storm, that's for sure. It was a little comforting to learn that it's typical of the type, but I'm wondering why.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Yikes, I talk too much. *blush* I'm flattered you remember.

Um, it's possible it could be about my boss, could be just some, ah, hypothetical person. It has no direct effect on me so it's not really a problem for me, and they don't think it's a problem, but from the outside looking in, it's just shocking to see somebody go nuts just about the time you might think they'd be settling down (in their late 40's). It is like watching a storm, that's for sure. It was a little comforting to learn that it's typical of the type, but I'm wondering why.
    Oh, no. We all share things here. You should not be worried if anyone remembers the things you share. I found your story very touching. You are obviously a very tender and caring person.

I can't speak for your hypothetical friend, but every year brings new and different challenges for me. In adolescence you struggle on the precipice of becoming an adult. In early adulthood you struggle with what to do next. And so and so on. Always, however, obsessing over the big questions and your place in this world. I keep expecting that I will eventually settle down, but mostly I just learn how to deal with myself and recognize that the way that I am is just something that I have to make work for me. To strive for health and growth and acceptance, rather than some concept of settling down.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

It seems the title of Innovator goes beyond just ideas -- it's about the very self. As soon as some state of stability is reached, it's interpreted as inertia, and there's an urge to rock the boat, would you say that's true? It's as if things staying the same feels threatening, a situation that must be corrected.

MBTI
    ENTP

It seems the title of Innovator goes beyond just ideas -- it's about the very self. As soon as some state of stability is reached, it's interpreted as inertia, and there's an urge to rock the boat, would you say that's true? It's as if things staying the same feels threatening, a situation that must be corrected.
    You have great insights. I hope you share more of them.

Yes, now that I think about what you wrote. Stability can be seen as death. If there is no pain, no struggle, how do you OVERCOME? How do you grow?

In love for example, love is either growing or diminishing. There is no real stability, more like a cycle. It is easy to see all of life in these terms, if we fail to recognize the basic variable nature of life itself. Stability, in other words, does not exist. It is all a Hericletean flux.

For me, I have just internalized this process and have tried to become healthy by looking at it this way: maybe my real struggle is to learn to not need to struggle. To master my self by washing away by need for mastery.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I think love may appear to grow or diminish but it really just is. We might feel it more or less from day to day but for me, love is a matter of faith and trust -- I mean, it's an infinity that exists where you put your faith and trust. As long as you're willing to keep meeting each other in that place, or waiting for one another in that place, I think love can be a constant.

Oh, I know! It's whether you are the pond or whether you are the pebble. And I guess one can't be the other. The pond has to be still and looking at the sky and the pebble has to be making the ripples.

All my life I've tried to get my externals to a point of stability, where there is enough to suffice but not so much to distract or create another set of demands in managing it, and I've finally come to that point, and now I can work but I have the peace of mind and leisure time to pursue other interests. The last thing I want is my externals all rearranged. I take for granted that at some point they will be, but I don't feel a need to get there first.

What is the need to overcome? What is that about?

MBTI
    ENTP

I think love may appear to grow or diminish but it really just is. We might feel it more or less from day to day but for me, love is a matter of faith and trust -- I mean, it's an infinity that exists where you put your faith and trust. As long as you're willing to keep meeting each other in that place, or waiting for one another in that place, I think love can be a constant.
    I like that you see it this way. And I love the way you describe it. It is very pure and hopeful.

Oh, I know! It's whether you are the pond or whether you are the pebble. And I guess one can't be the other. The pond has to be still and looking at the sky and the pebble has to be making the ripples.
    What do you mean here? Please elaborate.

All my life I've tried to get my externals to a point of stability, where there is enough to suffice but not so much to distract or create another set of demands in managing it, and I've finally come to that point, and now I can work but I have the peace of mind and leisure time to pursue other interests. The last thing I want is my externals all rearranged. I take for granted that at some point they will be, but I don't feel a need to get there first.

What is the need to overcome? What is that about?
    I don't know why there is this need to overcome. I do not think it is healthy. I think it is just a means of survival, rather than an optimal way to live life.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote:
    What do you mean here? Please elaborate.

I'm like a pond -- The ideal inside the pond that it yearns to express is to be calm and reflect -- that's the success of the pond, or its goal.

The ideal of the pebble is to jump into the pond and cause ripples. Or to roll down the path, hit other pebbles, which hit other pebbles, which eventually cause a landslide.

You can't criticize the pond for not being the pebble, or vice versa.

MBTI
    ENTP

This accurately sums up my feelings about how the ENTP / INFJ complement one another. The INFJ is stable and calm, the ENTP is active and chaotic. Together they CAN work well, though I think it is mostly incumbent on the ENTP to let themselves accept love.

Another way to look at it is the yin-yang or in terms of active vs. passive energies.