User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Default ENTP/ENTJ starting a law firm; will this work?

Has anyone had any experience working with or managing a law firm (or any business for that matter) with an ENTJ; or have any professional experience observing ENTP's and ENTJ's in co-power positions. As an ENTP, I see a ton of sucessful traits in my friend, and I think we have the same long-term vision of building a competitive firm, but I have a feeling I'm going to (a) have to talk him off the ledge every other day; and (b) smooth things over with clients on a day-to-day basis. I have no problem letting him "field marshal" as long as it fits into the main objective. Any thoughts?
    Extroverted (E) 80%
    Intuitive (N) 90%
    Thinking (T) 84.38%
    Perceiving (P) 81.82%

8w7

"Determine never to be idle...It is wonderful how much may be done if we are always doing."
    -Thomas Jefferson

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful and committed citizens can change the world... because its the only thing that ever has."
    -Marget Mead

"I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
    -Thomas Paine

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ

I'd be nervous about going into business with an ENTJ as I think they're too prone to megalomania and bossiness for me. ENTJs are ok in small doses, but on a daily basis they'd drive me bonkers. But then again, I am not an ENTP.

I would also be skeptical with going into business with an ENTP, though not to the degree of the ENTJ. With respect to the ENTP, my biggest concern would be their level of reliability, and I'd be worried about getting screwed over.

In any event, I think that as long as tasks are delegated properly, and we each have our personal and demarcated sphere of responsibility and a certain level of distance between eachother, it could work.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

If you have good communication, it should be fine.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Provoker View Post
    In any event, I think that as long as tasks are delegated properly, and we each have our personal and demarcated sphere of responsibility and a certain level of distance between eachother, it could work.
    Agreed. Good advice.

MBTI
    ENTP

my boss is an entj and we get along fine. You may well have to define power between you first. I would think the ENTJ will do all the stuff the ENTP doens't like doing and vice versa - a good partnership I would think

L

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I think that I would work fine with an ENTP. I'm a megalomaniac, but ENTPs usually are too - that's often a resonant trait. Perhaps the only problem would be J vs P - i.e. I generally respect deadlines very carefully, and get somewhat annoyed when other people consistently don't.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ENTP2L View Post
    Has anyone had any experience working with or managing a law firm (or any business for that matter) with an ENTJ; or have any professional experience observing ENTP's and ENTJ's in co-power positions. As an ENTP, I see a ton of sucessful traits in my friend, and I think we have the same long-term vision of building a competitive firm, but I have a feeling I'm going to (a) have to talk him off the ledge every other day; and (b) smooth things over with clients on a day-to-day basis. I have no problem letting him "field marshal" as long as it fits into the main objective. Any thoughts?
    I've had numerous ENTJ friends and I've had a (dubious) honor of working for various law firms, big and small. ENTJs tend to be good businessmen so you have that going for you, but I hope you like playing a second fiddle. ENTJs are not very big on power sharing, unless you display a skill that is so clearly superior to theirs that they have to step aside out of fear of interfering with your awesomeness.

Also if you are doing work related to litigation, you definitely will be needing an SJ on the team because of various detail oriented, mind numbing procedure following shit that only an SJ has the ability to handle with efficiency.

If it's mostly transactional stuff, then you two will be OK

MBTI
    ENTP

It will be mostly litigation, both criminal and civil. He wants to stick only to the criminal stuff where I plan to do both. I completely agree to the "needing an SJ on the team" as they seem to have excellent organizational skills (something I do not possess), and make pretty good lawyers; but seem to make the best paralegals.

As the the ENTJ, I understand they make great "business people," and I can see this in my friend, but how are they with clients? I feel his "blunt-ness" may be problematic (mine can be too, but I try to use humor to make my point most of the time; as there is nothing more enjoyable than making a point and making people laugh contemporaneoulsy), in the sense that he doesn't sugar-coat anything (ironically, I think he would say the same thing about me).

Also, I suppose I'm trying to figure out where possible power struggles would occur. If we are working on different cases and both have a relative level of autonomy, I figure we'll be ok.
    Extroverted (E) 80%
    Intuitive (N) 90%
    Thinking (T) 84.38%
    Perceiving (P) 81.82%

8w7

"Determine never to be idle...It is wonderful how much may be done if we are always doing."
    -Thomas Jefferson

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful and committed citizens can change the world... because its the only thing that ever has."
    -Marget Mead

"I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
    -Thomas Paine

MBTI
    ENTP

^^^^
    "As *to* the ENTJ ... "
    Extroverted (E) 80%
    Intuitive (N) 90%
    Thinking (T) 84.38%
    Perceiving (P) 81.82%

8w7

-Thomas Jefferson

-Marget Mead

-Thomas Paine

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ENTP2L View Post
    It will be mostly litigation, both criminal and civil. He wants to stick only to the criminal stuff where I plan to do both. I completely agree to the "needing an SJ on the team" as they seem to have excellent organizational skills (something I do not possess), and make pretty good lawyers; but seem to make the best paralegals.

As the the ENTJ, I understand they make great "business people," and I can see this in my friend, but how are they with clients? I feel his "blunt-ness" may be problematic (mine can be too, but I try to use humor to make my point most of the time; as there is nothing more enjoyable than making a point and making people laugh contemporaneoulsy), in the sense that he doesn't sugar-coat anything (ironically, I think he would say the same thing about me).

Also, I suppose I'm trying to figure out where possible power struggles would occur. If we are working on different cases and both have a relative level of autonomy, I figure we'll be ok.
    Well first things first - you two will not be running an emotional support clinic, so I wouldn't worry too much about "bluntness". It is an attorney practice after all and most of the people are appreciative of "no bullshit" approach when a lot is at stake. So if you get an emotionally hypersensitive client who might be put off by the whole ENTJ-ness then you probably do not want to deal with that client in the first place. The last thing you want is to be forced to change your whole legal strategy in the middle of the case because your client can't handle the emotional stress of it all.

Having said that, there is a good number of attorneys who are notorious assholes who are so belligerent it's almost comical. They piss off everybody including clients and judges and eventually end up disbarred or sued to the ground, etc. But since you are planning on starting a practice with this ENTJ, I figure you know him long enough to know that he is not one of those folks.

The first and foremost power struggle will be over money, of course. So I hope you guys know exactly how the fees will be split.

Assuming that is taken care of, expect the ENTJ to tell you whats need to be done, and then once he breaks down the tasks, expect him to tell you what to do. ENTJ are generally not micromanagers, but he doesn't like how you did it, expect him to tell you what to do AND how to do it the next time. That in itself isn't so bad (some people do need guidance and reminders), however, if you have a history of being pushed around and have an aversion of being told what do generally, there will likely be trouble.