• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] ENTP/ENTJ starting a law firm; will this work?

ENTP2L

MBTI Type
ENTP
Has anyone had any experience working with or managing a law firm (or any business for that matter) with an ENTJ; or have any professional experience observing ENTP's and ENTJ's in co-power positions. As an ENTP, I see a ton of sucessful traits in my friend, and I think we have the same long-term vision of building a competitive firm, but I have a feeling I'm going to (a) have to talk him off the ledge every other day; and (b) smooth things over with clients on a day-to-day basis. I have no problem letting him "field marshal" as long as it fits into the main objective. Any thoughts?

Provoker

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'd be nervous about going into business with an ENTJ as I think they're too prone to megalomania and bossiness for me. ENTJs are ok in small doses, but on a daily basis they'd drive me bonkers. But then again, I am not an ENTP.

I would also be skeptical with going into business with an ENTP, though not to the degree of the ENTJ. With respect to the ENTP, my biggest concern would be their level of reliability, and I'd be worried about getting screwed over.

In any event, I think that as long as tasks are delegated properly, and we each have our personal and demarcated sphere of responsibility and a certain level of distance between eachother, it could work.

MBTI Type
INxJ
In any event, I think that as long as tasks are delegated properly, and we each have our personal and demarcated sphere of responsibility and a certain level of distance between eachother, it could work.

Agreed. Good advice.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
my boss is an entj and we get along fine. You may well have to define power between you first. I would think the ENTJ will do all the stuff the ENTP doens't like doing and vice versa - a good partnership I would think

L

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I think that I would work fine with an ENTP. I'm a megalomaniac, but ENTPs usually are too - that's often a resonant trait. Perhaps the only problem would be J vs P - i.e. I generally respect deadlines very carefully, and get somewhat annoyed when other people consistently don't.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Has anyone had any experience working with or managing a law firm (or any business for that matter) with an ENTJ; or have any professional experience observing ENTP's and ENTJ's in co-power positions. As an ENTP, I see a ton of sucessful traits in my friend, and I think we have the same long-term vision of building a competitive firm, but I have a feeling I'm going to (a) have to talk him off the ledge every other day; and (b) smooth things over with clients on a day-to-day basis. I have no problem letting him "field marshal" as long as it fits into the main objective. Any thoughts?

I've had numerous ENTJ friends and I've had a (dubious) honor of working for various law firms, big and small. ENTJs tend to be good businessmen so you have that going for you, but I hope you like playing a second fiddle. ENTJs are not very big on power sharing, unless you display a skill that is so clearly superior to theirs that they have to step aside out of fear of interfering with your awesomeness.

Also if you are doing work related to litigation, you definitely will be needing an SJ on the team because of various detail oriented, mind numbing procedure following shit that only an SJ has the ability to handle with efficiency.

If it's mostly transactional stuff, then you two will be OK

ENTP2L

MBTI Type
ENTP
It will be mostly litigation, both criminal and civil. He wants to stick only to the criminal stuff where I plan to do both. I completely agree to the "needing an SJ on the team" as they seem to have excellent organizational skills (something I do not possess), and make pretty good lawyers; but seem to make the best paralegals.

As the the ENTJ, I understand they make great "business people," and I can see this in my friend, but how are they with clients? I feel his "blunt-ness" may be problematic (mine can be too, but I try to use humor to make my point most of the time; as there is nothing more enjoyable than making a point and making people laugh contemporaneoulsy), in the sense that he doesn't sugar-coat anything (ironically, I think he would say the same thing about me).

Also, I suppose I'm trying to figure out where possible power struggles would occur. If we are working on different cases and both have a relative level of autonomy, I figure we'll be ok.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
It will be mostly litigation, both criminal and civil. He wants to stick only to the criminal stuff where I plan to do both. I completely agree to the "needing an SJ on the team" as they seem to have excellent organizational skills (something I do not possess), and make pretty good lawyers; but seem to make the best paralegals.

As the the ENTJ, I understand they make great "business people," and I can see this in my friend, but how are they with clients? I feel his "blunt-ness" may be problematic (mine can be too, but I try to use humor to make my point most of the time; as there is nothing more enjoyable than making a point and making people laugh contemporaneoulsy), in the sense that he doesn't sugar-coat anything (ironically, I think he would say the same thing about me).

Also, I suppose I'm trying to figure out where possible power struggles would occur. If we are working on different cases and both have a relative level of autonomy, I figure we'll be ok.

Well first things first - you two will not be running an emotional support clinic, so I wouldn't worry too much about "bluntness". It is an attorney practice after all and most of the people are appreciative of "no bullshit" approach when a lot is at stake. So if you get an emotionally hypersensitive client who might be put off by the whole ENTJ-ness then you probably do not want to deal with that client in the first place. The last thing you want is to be forced to change your whole legal strategy in the middle of the case because your client can't handle the emotional stress of it all.

Having said that, there is a good number of attorneys who are notorious assholes who are so belligerent it's almost comical. They piss off everybody including clients and judges and eventually end up disbarred or sued to the ground, etc. But since you are planning on starting a practice with this ENTJ, I figure you know him long enough to know that he is not one of those folks.

The first and foremost power struggle will be over money, of course. So I hope you guys know exactly how the fees will be split.

Assuming that is taken care of, expect the ENTJ to tell you whats need to be done, and then once he breaks down the tasks, expect him to tell you what to do. ENTJ are generally not micromanagers, but he doesn't like how you did it, expect him to tell you what to do AND how to do it the next time. That in itself isn't so bad (some people do need guidance and reminders), however, if you have a history of being pushed around and have an aversion of being told what do generally, there will likely be trouble.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
If you, the ENTP, will provide the intellectual dynamics; and he, the ENTJ, will make the decisions; then the answer is "Probably."

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I tend to butt heads pretty consistently with ENTJs. My flakiness drives them batty.

I think the key to this conflict, though, is that most of the ENTJs have been my superiors. Without the power imbalance, it would be better.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I tend to butt heads pretty consistently with ENTJs. My flakiness drives them batty.

As I said, I think that could be the greatest problem. As far as bossiness goes, that depends on the single ENTJ - some of us are more bossy than others - I am not bossy at all, but I dislike changing decisions mid-stream, for example.

Bougal

HUZZAH!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I currently work in a law firm and the lead litigator and my boss is an ENTP and his wife, who is also a partner, is an ENTJ. He lets me be in charge of all of the organization aspect and some of the client relational aspects in the business, and we don’t have any problems. As long as you make it clear to the ENTJ that you are an equal partner then there shouldn’t be any problem with the domineering aspect of their personality. His wife is very good with her clients and is a wonderful advocate, but is very harsh to opposing council and to insurance companies. I think there is enough of an outlet for the ENTJ’s aggressive nature.

ENTP2L

MBTI Type
ENTP
I've pretty much made it clear to my friend that I make my own decisions. He's tried a couple times in the past to get me to do something that I didn't want to do and I "put him in his place" rather quickly. I think he realizes that I don't mind him making decisions, but when it comes to dictating MY actions, he knows he's hit a wall.

Also, I see no problem with being harsh to opposing council and insurance companies.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
This will not work without a balance. ENTP and ENTJ are two to radical types of the same gender.

Maybe it works but only in favour of the law :D

ENTP2L

MBTI Type
ENTP
As along as I don't rifle him off a seven story building; yea I think we'll do some damage in the bean (Boston, for you N.E. neophytes)

LeonardoLestat

MBTI Type
ENTJ

ENTP and ENTJ are both quite bossy in temperament, but because they respect each others intelligence it will work out like a charm - they will lead together.

Blackup

MBTI Type
Entp
im pretty sure my dad was an entj, i would argue tooth and nail with him to resist his power over me.... i think it could be a good experiance for you, you could learn alot and he could be a good partner to keep your arguing lawyer skills. from personal experience entjs are pretty effective.