User Tag List

12311 Last

Rubber Nipple Salesperson ladypinkington's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Default Defining Moments in the making of an NT.

Have you ever had a defining moment that defined you as an NT?

For example, was there any book or conversation that really sparked your imagination like no other?

Or was there a defining moment that caused you to be interested in science, philosophy, journalism ect...?

If so could you share what the event was and the effect it had on you?

I am interested in defining moments in people's lives and I was curious what that would look like for an NT.
    Last edited by Bellflower; 07-23-2007 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Couldn't deal with the misspelling anymore, aaack!!!
    Me and hubby made an RPG Nutrition Game
    Play and Vote July 14th to Aug 14th
    http://www.appsforhealthykids.com/ap...ing-vegetables

MBTI
    INFP

The very first time they correct a teacher for something other than pronunciation of their own name.

My guess.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

I wish I could give you something concrete, but I pretty much followed the IJ -> INJ -> INTJ path without any "from now on I'm going to be a thinker!" kind of moments. It was a boringly natural progression I suppose!
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I'm not really an NT, but my first great passion was astronomy at age 13. My bedroom was filled with posters of galaxies, the moon, solar system, the 'known universe'. I would look through my telescope every evening. My mother bought me two astronomy books for Christmas that were my most valued possessions. I never made many close friends at school. Most of the girls were giggling about boys. I had some long-term crushes even as a child, but never got involved with the fleeting social attachments that more emotionally driven kids did.

As a teenager, i dealt with emotional scars from childhood. I solved the problem of personal emotional crisis by switching my thinking to analyze something completely detached. I learned to use analysis and reason as a tool to cope with emotional pain imposed on me from my environment.

It's not so much a moment, but a process that led me to value objectivity. My mother, sister, and brother have all wrestled with very strong feelings and subjective reasoning. They are all deeply kind people, but have gotten attached to and hurt by some very malicious people. I'm the youngest, but observing this dynamic, I determined to stay detached and aware. My mind and its ability to reason is my greatest asset. I determined to marry the most logical, clear thinking man I could find, and I did exactly that. This has enabled me to be a source of objectivity for my dear family who often fall into the trap of dark, hopeless subjectivity. My mother typically leaves our conversations with a sense of reassurance and balance. She has also chosen me to be the one to make the tough calls if she is ever incapacitated. She trusts in my clarity of thought.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    The very first time they correct a teacher for something other than pronunciation of their own name.

My guess.

Lol, this does remind me of a time in the 5th grade when I had to correct the teacher on a math problem. The question was "If a quarter is one inch in diameter, and you lay quarters flat on the ground with the edges touching each other and forming a straight line for a distance of one mile then how much money is there?" The teacher said it was $158.40. I said no it's $15,840. You can't possibly have an answer ending in $.40 when dealing with quarters. The class then started joking that she should sit down, and I should stand up and teach the class.

Looking back I think that must have been an embarrasing moment for the teacher, but luckily she had already liked me a lot before that, so I think that made it easier for her to get over. Go go ENTP l33t skeelz!
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

For as long as I can remember, I have been asking why things happen and are done a certain way, have been interested in science related areas (Starting out with space, the solar system, history and evolution of life, geological history of the earth, and going from there into math, chemistry, some physics, some basic "how things work", etc.) I also apparently have always been competitive, or at least wanted to be good at anything I did.

I have also over time gotten to be less showing of emotions, less relying on emotions to make decisions, more controlled in what I show. This happened later, though, in late middle school, high school, and even some college. It occurred after noticing that decisions based on emotions often went bad, and showing lots of emotions and revealing things like desires often resulted in someone taking advantage of it. I also tend to be suspicious of authority and social groups, though I'm not sure how much is directly "type" influenced, how much is random life experience, and how much slight personality changes would have completely changed these things. (A different set of parents, or teachers around me, may have changed a lot.)

Jivin Jeff hit the nail on the head for me. I was in fifth grade and wrote an essay that I included the word "hone" in. The teacher marked it wrong because she claimed there was no such word. I can't remember very many occasions as satisfying as showing her the word in the dictionary. That's when I learned that just because someone is older than you or in a position of authority doesn't mean they're smarter than you.

MBTI
    INTP

When I was nine, I got a 10 minute lecture regarding my usage of the word 'damn' from my teacher and principal. That was when I knew I was gonna be in for a long -- and irrational -- school life.:rolli:
    One by one, over the months, the other bulbs burn out, and are gone. The first few of these hit Byron hard. He's still a new arrival, still hasn't accepted his immortality. But on through the burning hours he starts to learn about the transience of others: learns that loving them while they're here becomes easier, and also more intenseto love as if each design-hour will be the last.

Thomas Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

I can't go on, I'll go on.

Samuel Beckett - The Unnamable

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    Jivin Jeff hit the nail on the head for me. I was in fifth grade and wrote an essay that I included the word "hone" in. The teacher marked it wrong because she claimed there was no such word.
    It's good to see that ignorance isn't an impediment to becoming an instructor.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    It's good to see that ignorance isn't an impediment to becoming an instructor.
    Well, you know what they say: Those who can't, teach...
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]