User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    972 so/sp
    Socionics
    EII Ni

I was one of those pesky, annoying kids that always went "Why? Why? WHY?" about everything, and got in trouble a lot for it I was considered the most voracious reader of non-fiction books from the library of my small, rural school ever (to the pure delight of the librarian). I was a so-so student, though because of my ADD and because class was boring since I already knew most of the stuff.
    Autistic INFP

MBTI
    XNTX

Quote Originally Posted by ladypinkington View Post
    Have you ever had a defining moment that defined you as an NT?

For example, was there any book or conversation that really sparked your imagination like no other?

Or was there a defining moment that caused you to be interested in science, philosophy, journalism ect...?

If so could you share what the event was and the effect it had on you?

I am interested in defining moments in people's lives and I was curious what that would look like for an NT.
    I guess retrospectively looking back it was the concept in maths that the 9x tables were just really the 10 times tables less one of the multipliers.

After that, well, I guess as a kid aged 9 cutting out Stockmarket tables to analyse the various mathematics and understanding P/E ratio's yields and so forth... Oh, that was after I first started trading in stamps with my school friends... I memorised the value of every mint and used stamp ever issued (In my home country at the time) and therefore always profited on any trade, even more interesting I was concerned about every trade improving the total portfolio of wealth of my stamp collection.

Worst issue in life has been assuming everyone is analytical and therefore all their actions are concious decisions... wrong move with blondes thats for sure.. did and still do baffle me.

Its great being an INTJ though, so many Eureka's in life.... biggest problem is finding intelligent people to talk with!!

MBTI
    INTJ

I catched snails in my free time and kept them in a jar.
    I even tried to get them married because I wanted to see them have kids.

Plus, once I caught two locusts (one small, one big) and one of them disappeared. I was so sure that one ate the other (because that's what they do when they mate) and was really excited about what happened(it was like seeing something come true).
    I-31, N-25, T-55, J-27
    "Place the visible at the service of the invisible" - Redon, Odilon

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Veneti View Post
    Worst issue in life has been assuming everyone is analytical and therefore all their actions are concious decisions... wrong move with blondes thats for sure.. did and still do baffle me.
    For all our wits, there's an ESTJ (I think) who's out-thunk us on that one: Link

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Apparently when I was really young, I would argue with my mother every single night about going to bed.

Mom: You're tired. It's bedtime.
    Me: How do you know I'm tired.
    Mom: I can look at you and see.
    Me: No. How do you know?
    Mom: I can tell. Now go to bed.
    Me: But why do I look tired?! (Likely looking for something to change for tomorrow night so that I could stay up later.)

After many exasperating nights of me agonizingly asking WHY!, it eventually caused my mother to come up with this:

Mom: When you close your eyes, a number appears on your eyelids ranging from 1-10. If it's 1, it means you're fully refreshed and ready to play in the morning. If it's 7, you better brush your teeth but there's still time for a bedtime story, but if it's 9... whoa, you better get to bed before you hit 10!!

And I believed her. So I ended up going to her all the time and closing my eyes, asking for a numerical quantification of exactly how tired I was. I believed her for a lot longer than I should have.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Many years ago my preschool teacher reported that, when the class was following her in a song, I not only sang different words but when called out, cheerfully asserted that the teacher was incorrect.

MBTI
    XNTX

Actually another defining moment of a NT is as a child starting school and having the teacher making us all endlessly practice our hand writing...

And I say, "what is the purpose of writing, we should be learning something like maths". or me squaring up with the teacher and saying "You only think you're right because you're taller than me". (There's always a train of logic).

Or how about as a 4 year old, taking a bite out of one of my mothers home make cookies (that was still on the tray just having come out of the oven).... and then with an incredible leap of logic to cover my tracks.... I duly took a bite out of ALL the cookies (The perfect crime)... pity parents are smarter than I took them for... lol lol...

The first defining moment was probably my first day at school.

I didn't like the class bully so I smacked him out. I ended up sitting outside on the bench feeling a bit sorry for myself and thinking "They don't realise that if I am the top then they won't get bullied, yet I'm in trouble, its not fair".
    Last edited by Veneti; 09-02-2007 at 07:40 AM.

I don't have too many memories of when I was younger than about 8 years old.

A few of the memories before 8 years old are:

There was annoyance over the numbers eleven, twelve and thirteen, and fifteen(less so with this one). I thought they should be "oneteen", "twoteen", "threeteen", and "fiveteen".

There were a lot of other pattern inconsistencies I didn't like--apparantely to the amusement of my extended family. I think I remember these because they've become family anecdotes.

I also remember learning to tie my shoes without anyone teaching me. I watched how someone tied up present they were giving someone and copied that way for my shoes. When I got older, I found out I don't do it "right", but I still tie my shoes the same way I taught myself.

This is also true for a lot of things I learned on my own without anyone "teaching" me the "right" way.

The earliest NT moment I remember clearly was when I was eight years old and read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe and being annoyed at the professor's "Logic Lesson". I was thinking there is no way Lucy always tells the truth, and that Edmund always lies, and if we take away the "always" part the professor's lesson falls apart. How likely the thing that Edmund and Lucy are describing (existence/nonexistence of a wardrobe to another world) HAS to play a big role. I didn't realize at the time that my annoyance was due to a vague understanding of Bayes' Rule.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I think it was when I was perhaps about 10-12. We subscribed to 2 newspapers, most of which I read every morning. I started to become angry at the popularistic, simplistic left-wing style of the other newspaper whereas the other, a bit right-wing, had more accurate insight and took an educated person's view on the world. I asked my mom and dad why people read the first newspaper, when it has everything so wrong. I remember mom telling me that it had a much greater number of subscribers.
    I was astounded and I realized that most people liked things being told for them in a simple, appealing way, corners cut, and they wouldn't understand the position of authority or someone who is trying to look at the society from an expert point of view. I noticed I was different from most of the adults in that regard.

I didn't voice out my views very eloquently. I remember saying something like "people are so dumb!"

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    There was annoyance over the numbers eleven, twelve and thirteen, and fifteen(less so with this one). I thought they should be "oneteen", "twoteen", "threeteen", and "fiveteen".
    That makes two of us.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume