First 34567 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    never read it, but i don't have to in order to know i'd have ate that up repeatedly. oh god, and those bug/animal/plant encyclopedias. heaven!
    Here is what I got: "Why on EARTH would you ever want to read an [entire set of] encyclopedia[s]???"

the glory of having an INT for a dad was my saving grace on those few occasions when it was his turn at the drama wheel. his bathroom was my church. my intro to entire collections of ripley's, UFOs, and conan the barbarian.
    Beautiful way to phrase it. I consider libraries "sacred ground" ... but never took it as far as to include the family watercloset... despite the actual shelf that was in our bathroom growing up.

Quote Originally Posted by oberon167
    One was a compendium of all the reptiles and amphibians native to Florida, and the other was a similar book about sharks, each entry featuring a photo and a paragraph of descriptive text.
    Gathering those tomes only got worse for me as I aged. Currently, I have compendiums on many different topics, that I saw on sale and thought would be interesting to read and learn about -- running on topics from knot-tying and mushroom species and mythology systems to the quintessential "shark" anthologies and how all sorts of machines work (conceptually) and a large tome on all different sorts of booze and how it is made.

(Along with my "What Life Was Like" Time-Life historical review of various cultures and time periods, plus four or five other entire series.)

It is just crazy.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Rubber Nipple Salesperson ladypinkington's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by oberon67 View Post
    The Bradbury book included a couple of stories that REALLY got my attention, namely "The Fog Horn" and "A Sound of Thunder," both of which remain to this day some of the best fantasy/sci-fi stories ever written IMHO.

Regarding bug/plant/animal encyclopedias: My grandfather loved to get behind the wheel of his giant old Chrysler and just drive, and on one of his extended road trips he went to Florida. He came back with two cheaply-printed, saddle-stapled books for me: One was a compendium of all the reptiles and amphibians native to Florida, and the other was a similar book about sharks, each entry featuring a photo and a paragraph of descriptive text.

I wore those books out.

I had a wildlife book that I was really into like you as well and just wore the poor thing out. For the longest time I knew way too much about animals and could tell you the gestation period of just about any animal,lol. Elephants have a gestation period of 22 months man, yikes! LOL

I may be an INFJ- but I'm not into novels really or fantasy in books, I like encyclopedias and facts and nonfiction. I like autobiographies and biographies. I like fantasy and fictional stories through the form of movies and t.v. but not for reading.
    Me and hubby made an RPG Nutrition Game
    Play and Vote July 14th to Aug 14th
    http://www.appsforhealthykids.com/ap...ing-vegetables

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Here is what I got: "Why on EARTH would you ever want to read an [entire set of] encyclopedia[s]???"
    I've heard that from friends. My parents encouraged it - I think because a teacher I had in 3rd grade made a special visit to the house for tutoring when I was really sick for three weeks. They'd never heard me speak french before, and that was all she'd speak to me. They were shocked.

I'd read dictionaries for fun, too.

Beautiful way to phrase it. I consider libraries "sacred ground" ...

I refer to books as my friends - out loud as well as in my head.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by ladypinkington View Post
    I may be an INFJ- but I'm not into novels really or fantasy in books, I like encyclopedias and facts and nonfiction. I like autobiographies and biographies. I like fantasy and fictional stories through the form of movies and t.v. but not for reading.
    I have always been into both fiction and non-fiction... but I have noticed that I read a LOT more fiction when I was younger (escapism? Still learning?) and nowadays I don't read much fiction at all and just read lots and lots of non-fiction (i.e., priming the pump for my own thoughts).

That's how I see it, anyways. Now I create my own "worlds" and need information to do it; while younger, I was just reviewing what other people had done and getting my imagination to engage.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    people can say what they want, but this is why i adore these sites. few people IRL would nod and say, "yeah, i did the same thing" instead of, "yeah, soooo.... whatya say we order a pizza?"
    I think your post amounts to an entire explanation for the existence of the Society for Creative Anachronism. Different people, same process.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

I could place a bakers dozen of examples onto where I figure in my life I turned more NT but basically I've always been like this. No change other than maturing.

I do recall being sickeningly obsessive with decimal searches, other's stopped at 5 decimal places...WIMPS!!! 15 is for REAL men!! Other than that in hindsight I'd say every problem I overcame using my brain pushed me more to use my brain cause I enjoyed that feeling of achievement.

Other than that it's all smoke and mirrors to me.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Rubber Nipple Salesperson ladypinkington's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    I could place a bakers dozen of examples onto where I figure in my life I turned more NT but basically I've always been like this. No change other than maturing.

I do recall being sickeningly obsessive with decimal searches, other's stopped at 5 decimal places...WIMPS!!! 15 is for REAL men!! Other than that in hindsight I'd say every problem I overcame using my brain pushed me more to use my brain cause I enjoyed that feeling of achievement.

Other than that it's all smoke and mirrors to me.
    Have you ever gone around the house looking to see if you have household items that have the Golden Ratio? We found that our dog came quite close,lol.
    If you haven't you should give it a try, it's fun.
    Me and hubby made an RPG Nutrition Game
    Play and Vote July 14th to Aug 14th
    http://www.appsforhealthykids.com/ap...ing-vegetables

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by ladypinkington View Post
    Have you ever gone around the house looking to see if you have household items that have the Golden Ratio? We found that our dog came quite close,lol.
    If you haven't you should give it a try, it's fun.
    Nope. And I have no clue what the Golden Ratio is!

I did however spend 6 months with a roleplay book designing automatic rifles to their formulae and discovered the perfect round by rearranging the formulae but that was years ago.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Nope. And I have no clue what the Golden Ratio is!

I did however spend 6 months with a roleplay book designing automatic rifles to their formulae and discovered the perfect round by rearranging the formulae but that was years ago.
    John Moses Browning did that back in 1906...oh, wait a minute! That was in real life!

Sorry. :rolli:

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by oberon67 View Post
    John Moses Browning did that back in 1906...oh, wait a minute! That was in real life!

Sorry. :rolli:
    Well he got it wrong. Most have messed around with straight cartridges where as I worked with necked rifle rounds. Plus most people have made moves toward changes in regard toward one thing or another where as I was just aiming for overall efficiency. The most efficient size was something like an 11.76mm round I think 54mm in length. Depending upon barrel length and extra toys though it could weigh up to 11kgs or more (about 24lbs for you backwards lot). Oh and also I think that this was using electrothermic charges and not standard refined powder weapons.

I presume your referring to the Browning of the high power fame, the guy who designed one of the best recoil operated handguns for many years? Can't say that history is my strongest suit you see. If you are referring to him then you do know that the 9x19mm parabellum round is not really that good right? It's used lots cause that's what people make. A bit like the 5.56mm superseding the 7.62mm. I bet they wish they hadn't bothered now. All that retooling only for people to plink from 400yards or go in with carbines (which would better suit the 5.56 admittedly but it's not a hard and fast rule).

Oh and if you think this is really geek like, try me on 120mm computer fans