User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ERTP

the signs were there all along i think but i actually never really noticed it untill I read please understand me. makes sense, actually, as the NT-temperament is a keirsey construct and a far shakier one than classic MBTI at that.

In kindergarten, the teacher had laminated characters for each letter of the alphabet. Each day, she went around the room, making them do a silly dance to a silly song, and made each of us make something up about the characters. I don't remember what I said, but the entire class laughed at me (or what I said? ), and the teacher had a bewildered and amazed look on her face. Soon, my parents began talking about me in terms of "looking at things differently" and "having a big imagination."

In first grade, I drew our new and improved family car. The outside world was a scary place (major introvert then), so I equipped it with a periscope so that we could see out without being seen. Not shown on the drawing, but carefully pointed out by me, was a propeller and waterproofing which made the car fully submersible. I could never figure out why other kids wasted time by drawing people in their cars.

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

hmm. defining moments. that would be the ones where i noticed i was different? that would be when i was first exposed to other children. so, around kindergarten (age 4). the things i remember that i did around that time and others around me didn't:

-made a pet out of a fly by hobbling it (figured the end justified the means as he'd get a lot more love in the long run)

-read constantly. anything. everything. if it had words, i read it. however, that's not what really set me apart. what did that was when other kids would try to pull me outside to play, and i'd decline. to read a gardening catalog. i never liked being interrupted by someone trying to get me to do what they wanted to do at that moment.

-i didn't correct teachers at that young an age. what i did do was apparently as irritating though. i questioned. asked things that people didn't know the answers to or didn't want to talk to me about. maybe assumed i couldn't handle it (a wrong assumption).
    for instance... at church, while at a 'sunbeam' meeting at age four, i asked my sunday school teacher how man multiplied if it was just adam and eve and they only had two sons. she became angry, while i remained calm... but still kept asking. i wanted to know, and she was supposed to know this! finally i got the same answer i'd get many times, "some things you just have to wait and ask god about". pfft.

-decided that learning to use the greek alphabet would be a good idea, then did so.

-got in trouble for telling kids the "real" grimm's fairy tales.

-during the time we'd get to play outside, i chose to explore the woods behind the school, followed the life of some tadpoles in a puddle, wanted to see what smoking a cigar was like, so tried it with one i'd stolen, puked...

-noticed in the first grade that i was the only kid who got upset because we could only check out three books at a time from the school library.

-also noticed, still in the kindergarten year, that i was the only one in the sections i gravitated towards... dinosaurs, greek mythology, anything about UFOs, ripley's believe it or not books, aesop's fables, etc.

-as far as showing my competence, i saved that for when the competence seemed to matter the most to people (thus had the biggest effect), in sports, fights, games, arguments, etc. unless it was something like a spelling bee.
    Last edited by digesthisickness; 07-24-2007 at 10:46 AM. Reason: grammar is our friend

heart on fire

I am not NT, but I can say there are no defining moments or as Dr Phil (ugh) likes to say "changing days" in my life. When I look back over my life, I can see that any time I have been influenced it has come over time and never just one factor. There seem to be many trends and threads of change that came in groups along with each other.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    -also noticed, still in the kindergarten year, that i was the only one in the sections i gravitated towards... dinosaurs, , greek mythology, anything about UFOs, ripley's believe it or not books, aesop's fables, etc.
    The first book I ever bought for myself was a collection of short stories by Ray Bradbury. It was a cheap paperback in a bright red cover, I got it at the mall bookstore for 75 cents. It was titled Golden Apples of the Sun. I still have it.

I first picked it up because it had snakes and bats and a skull on the cover, but I kept it because the inside was full of stories like I'd never read before. I think I was 11 at the time, which makes me rather a late bloomer...but we lived in the country, and I didn't get out much.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by oberon67 View Post
    The first book I ever bought for myself was a collection of short stories by Ray Bradbury. It was a cheap paperback in a bright red cover, I got it at the mall bookstore for 75 cents. It was titled Golden Apples of the Sun. I still have it.
    Harlan Ellison, I have no mouth and I must scream. I had vivid, terrifying fantasies after reading that short story. So much so that when watching The Matrix years ago, during the scene where the Agents are first interviewing Neo and his mouth morphs shut I felt like I was 11 yo again.

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post
    Harlan Ellison, I have no mouth and I must scream. I had vivid, terrifying fantasies after reading that short story. So much so that when watching The Matrix years ago, during the scene where the Agents are first interviewing Neo and his mouth morphs shut I felt like I was 11 yo again.
    yes, I thought of the same story!

Ellison is great. A little cocky, but his writing sickens me (out of pure envy on my part, I fully admit it) -- he makes it look so easy.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

Ellison, Merril, Bloch, Dick, Delaney. Old faithful friends <sigh>

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

never read it, but i don't have to in order to know i'd have ate that up repeatedly.

oh god, and those bug/animal/plant encyclopedias. heaven!

I first picked it up because it had snakes and bats and a skull on the cover, but I kept it because the inside was full of stories like I'd never read before. I think I was 11 at the time, which makes me rather a late bloomer...but we lived in the country, and I didn't get out much.
    aww. i feel for the little you. i was poor and was moved around a lot due to family drama. books were (and still are) beauty, and the library was where the "real" world came to life. however, being that i only had access to a school library at that time, the glory of having an INT for a dad was my saving grace on those few occasions when it was his turn at the drama wheel. his bathroom was my church. my intro to entire collections of ripley's, UFOs, and conan the barbarian.

people can say what they want, but this is why i adore these sites. few people IRL would nod and say, "yeah, i did the same thing" instead of, "yeah, soooo.... whatya say we order a pizza?"

Oberon

The Bradbury book included a couple of stories that REALLY got my attention, namely "The Fog Horn" and "A Sound of Thunder," both of which remain to this day some of the best fantasy/sci-fi stories ever written IMHO.

Regarding bug/plant/animal encyclopedias: My grandfather loved to get behind the wheel of his giant old Chrysler and just drive, and on one of his extended road trips he went to Florida. He came back with two cheaply-printed, saddle-stapled books for me: One was a compendium of all the reptiles and amphibians native to Florida, and the other was a similar book about sharks, each entry featuring a photo and a paragraph of descriptive text.

I wore those books out.