First 123412 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Well, in my early youth, I had the typical Aspie trait of lining things up and an obsession with unusual objects -- such as speakers, ceiling fans, and sink drains. I remember a couple of times, my dad bought me some car speakers just because I thought they were cool. I got a cardboard box and cut holes into it to put in and wire up the speakers so I kinda made my own stereo system out of a cardboard box.

I think my first passion was movies. I used to go to the movies every weekend with my grandmother -- they were usually really bad comedies (like Ernest movies) -- and then I engaged in creative play by myself inventing and acting out my own stories. Often, this worried my parents, who often withheld my privileges to watch violent movies, because my mind was quite violent.

I also used to get my name written on the board in school for not paying attention and staring off into space. But my life long passion was always movies. And I used to also play 8-bit Nintendo games, particularly Zelda, and then I designed my own maps for the underworld levels. When I got a Sega Genesis, I did the same thing, designing my own levels for the Sonic the Hedgehog games.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ladypinkington View Post
    Have you ever had a defining momment that defined you as an NT?

For example, was there any book or conversation that really sparked your imagination like no other?
    Books. Finding books and realizing I got lost in them and that it wasn't something that happened to everyone.

Playing with words. FMWarner had 'hone', Cerpin_Taxt had 'damn' and when I was six or seven I had "phoque". For those of you who don't speak French, it is pronounced f-u-k and it means "seal".

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Lol, this does remind me of a time in the 5th grade when I had to correct the teacher on a math problem. The question was "If a quarter is one inch in diameter, and you lay quarters flat on the ground with the edges touching each other and forming a straight line for a distance of one mile then how much money is there?" The teacher said it was $158.40. I said no it's $15,840. You can't possibly have an answer ending in $.40 when dealing with quarters. The class then started joking that she should sit down, and I should stand up and teach the class.

Looking back I think that must have been an embarrasing moment for the teacher, but luckily she had already liked me a lot before that, so I think that made it easier for her to get over. Go go ENTP l33t skeelz!
    When I was in the second grade, Mrs. Glover (my teacher) asked for someone in the class to name an animal. I raised my hand.

"Brontosaurus!" I said proudly.

She gave me a look like she'd found a bug in her soup. "Well, if you can spell it, I'll write it on the board," she finally replied.

So I spelled it for her.

She didn't like me much after that.

MBTI
    INTJ

JJJ, it seems your guess was pretty good. I'll share one of my moments.

I corrected many teachers many times, but one episode stands out: Correcting a teacher in middle school for pronouncing the word artisan ar-TEE-sian (note the i). She refused to check the dictionary, angrily mandated that her pronunciation was accurate and forced the class to say it that way for the rest of the year.

Obviously, her reaction wasn't professional, but looking back on it, I can understand why I got her back up: I was a complacently arrogant priss with no diplomatic or even strategic (!) priorities whatsoever. Nice new teacher already feeling insecure? Perhaps her teaching would suffer a setback from having her authority challenged just now? Who cares, all that's important is being right and showing off!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by oberon67 View Post
    When I was in the second grade, Mrs. Glover (my teacher) asked for someone in the class to name an animal. I raised my hand.

"Brontosaurus!" I said proudly.
    Too bad they don't really exist: They are actually just apatosauruses.

[NT info war! Slap! Your turn! ]
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Oberon

The first time I saw Spock on a rerun of Star Trek (the original series). Spock was my hero. He was strong, he always knew the answer, and he never let anyone get to him.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Too bad they don't really exist: They are actually just apatosauruses.

[NT info war! Slap! Your turn! ]
    I'm aware of that now, but at the time they were brontosaurii who didn't yet know that they were actually apatosaurii.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by oberon67 View Post
    I'm aware of that now, but at the time they were brontosaurii who didn't yet know that they were actually apatosaurii.
    I'm an Imnotasauri for teasing you anyway. (The pluralization correction is only worth half a point. Why do I know this? Because I am setting the rules. Ha!)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    The very first time they correct a teacher for something other than pronunciation of their own name.

My guess.
    I suppose that shows I'm not an NT. There were plenty of times i could have corrected teachers growing up, but i never did. I especially remember my algebra teacher made so many mistakes. It took him quite a while to figure things out on the board. I'd see the solution very quickly and then drift off into my own thoughts. It never occurred to me to correct him because he seemed to be just slightly ahead of the rest of the class. I just figured it was an environment in which i didn't really belong, took my little scraps of info, and spent most of my time in my own little world. Correcting him didn't seem that productive to me since he needed it quite often. In the bigger picture, it was a problem beyond my sphere of control.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    I suppose that shows I'm not an NT. There were plenty of times i could have corrected teachers growing up, but i never did.
    I am reminded of Keirsey's claim that demonstrating competence is key for NTs whereas NFs pursue authenticity. I'm sure the more gratuitous of my corrections must have elicited cringing from my NF classmates who probably caught the same error but couldn't care less about getting credit for it.