User Tag List

123 Last

Default High impact on society, reality tested, and heavy use of logic and symbolic math

I posted this on the Physics Forums Career Guidance section. It's gotten 25 views and no replies. PF tends to be a lot less prone to brainstorming than here. Maybe it is more "serious." But as they say, "Some things are too important to take seriously."

So, I am cross-posting here to see if get more ideas. (Also, more people know me here)

I am looking to make a career shift.

I am looking for a career track with the following characteristics:

1) Heavy use (and need to learn) advanced mathematical concepts (especially symbolic in nature). I want to be working with equations and logic in a symbolic manner on a daily basis.

2) A career in which the theories are readily tested/testable. I may or may not want to do the testing, depending on how tedious it is. If it is tedious to test, I would rather not. If the testing is easy or fun, I like having the immediate feedback.

3) A career where the work will be of great significance to humanity. --The potential for ground breaking discoveries or inventions that move society forward.

4) A field in which people are mainly there due to their passion, curiosity, etc.

Any suggestions?

Also, what credentials would I need to obtain to enter these fields?

So far, I have:
    A B.S. in Computer Engineering
    A B.S. in Applied Discrete Mathematics
    An M.S. in Electrical Engineering
    8+ years in Integrated Circuits industry
    Last edited by ygolo; 12-13-2008 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Added criteria

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

NASA! Rocket ships!

Actually they do lots of other things there too. Especially in their accompanying complex. There's even a giant windtunnel.

<-- brainstorming

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I posted this on the Physics Forums Career Guidance section. It's gotten 25 views and no replies. PF tends to be a lot less prone to brainstorming than here. Maybe it is more "serious." But as they say, "Some things are too important to take seriously."

So, I am cross-posting here to see if get more ideas. (Also, more people know me here)

1) Heavy use (and need to learn) advanced mathematical concepts (especially symbolic in nature). I want to be working with equations and logic in a symbolic manner on a daily basis.

2) A career in which the theories are readily tested/testable. I may or may not want to do the testing, depending on how tedious it is. If it is tedious to test, I would rather not. If the testing is easy or fun, I like having the immediate feedback.

3) A career where the work will be of great significance to humanity. --The potential for ground breaking discoveries or inventions that move society forward.

Any suggestions?

So far, I have:
    From your criteria, I'd suggest robotics research and development. Both the electronical and AI field.

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    NASA! Rocket ships!

Actually they do lots of other things there too. Especially in their accompanying complex. There's even a giant windtunnel.

<-- brainstorming
    This was along the likes I was thinking about. I may go in to high-energy physics actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjur View Post
    From your criteria, I'd suggest robotics research and development. Both the electronical and AI field.
    Robotics is interesting. However, the use of symbolic math (especially advanced math) is rather limited. The tendency is for a "cookbook" approach to the use of math--which really isn't using math, but rather button pushing.

I don't mind going back to school for new credentials. Perhaps, I shouldn't have mentioned what I already have.

Thanks for the input guys. The physics forum is now up to 47 views and 0 replies.

Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INFJ

Health and public safety or environmental work/statistics (a job relating to those that would also give you the potential to analyze those statistics and make recommendations for action based upon them)? Heavy math, significant to humanity, and tested and testable mathematics.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I am not sure if you deem this to be significant to humanity (I do, given the impact its diffusion might have), but with your credentials I think you might be easily hired by the developers of the software Mathematica. The founder of the company seems to be an INTP, and I think that their general philosophy fits your requests.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by fleurdujour View Post
    Health and public safety or environmental work/statistics (a job relating to those that would also give you the potential to analyze those statistics and make recommendations for action based upon them)? Heavy math, significant to humanity, and tested and testable mathematics.
    Thanks for the input. I like the fact that people are brain storming.

I had considered this sort of activity also...as well as operations research for non-profits or health systems. There is definitely an impact to humanity assuming what I come-up with works.

However, public policy is notoriously difficult to test and measure for effectiveness (unless the effects are dramatic).

Also, the type of math tends to involve more use of software packages and spreadsheets (IOW, number crunching). Advanced math (e.g. non-commutative algebras, specialized integration techniques, topos) is not something I see much use for here.

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I am not sure if you deem this to be significant to humanity (I do, given the impact its diffusion might have), but with your credentials I think you might be easily hired by the developers of the software Mathematica. The founder of the company seems to be an INTP, and I think that their general philosophy fits your requests.
    Well, work here would definitely have the type of math I want. Working for Wolfram Research was something I considered when I just finished my B.S. in Math.

But I don't know about the reality testing or the impact on society. I'll have to see what they have available.

Thanks for the suggestion, FDG.

EDIT:Physics forum at 55 views and still 0 replies. Hooray for non-seriousness.
    Please keep trying. The ideas so far have been helpful in defining what it is I actually want.

Robot Fusion

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post

Any suggestions?

So far, I have:
    Professor?

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by evan View Post
    Professor?
    What.

Quote Originally Posted by evan View Post
    Professor?
    Hehe.

Yeah, becoming a math or physics (or even engineering and other technical fields) professor can have both heavy use of symbolic math and impact on society (through students).

I suppose reality testing could happen in independent research.

Still...

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    What.
    I would need to know what field I would profess?

Robot Fusion