User Tag List

First 123 Last

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

Do you have quantum mechanics courses?

If you do, you might be able to get a nanotechnology research job.
    Theoretical nanotechnology is mostly quantum and they might appreciate your electrical and programming backgrounds.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Hehe.

Yeah, becoming a math or physics (or even engineering and other technical fields) professor can have both heavy use of symbolic math and impact on society (through students).

I suppose reality testing could happen in independent research.

Still...
    It's the best position to do research and have people under you doing the busy work.

(I'm projecting somewhat, I'll admit. I've recently realized how much I would love to be a professor at a high-power school.)

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by evan View Post
    (I'm projecting somewhat, I'll admit. I've recently realized how much I would love to be a professor at a high-power school.)
    Like a technical school? They have lots of machinery.

Quote Originally Posted by A Schnitzel View Post
    Do you have quantum mechanics courses?

If you do, you might be able to get a nanotechnology research job.
    Theoretical nanotechnology is mostly quantum and they might appreciate your electrical and programming backgrounds.
    I wouldn't mind going back to school. I do have some QM courses (minor in physics), but I doubt they are enough.

Interesting idea. It's one I'll definitely consider.

Still, I am turned off a little by the hype and commercialization, but it definitely meets the three criteria I laid out.

Perhaps, I should add an other.

4) A field in which people are mainly there due to their passion, curiosity, etc.

Thanks, that further clarified what I want.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

It's the best position to do research and have people under you doing the busy work.

That does sound good for the reasons you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Like a technical school? They have lots of machinery.
    Please elaborate.

Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

That does sound good for the reasons you mentioned.
    It just seems so amazing. You have ideas, you publish papers, and then tens of thousands of undergrads cite you in their essays!

It just seems so amazing. You have ideas, you publish papers, and then tens of thousands of undergrads cite you in their essays!
    I don't think it is particularly easy, and unless the work is ground breaking, I doubt it would be tens of thousands.

Robot Fusion

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I don't think it is particularly easy, and unless the work is ground breaking, I doubt it would be tens of thousands.
    Heh, as I said, I'm projecting a bit.

I'm just thinking of it in terms of Cognitive Science. It's such a broad new field, and there really hasn't been enough time for people to really think all of these things through. There's so much work to be done that it's really just a matter of getting to it first.

There have been soooo many times I've thought of theories/arguments that seem to explain certain phenomenon better than the theories I'd learned. Almost all of those times, I'll hear the same theory I'd come up with in lecture the next day -- some of them published less than five years ago.

So yeah, I'm sure it would be a lot different in your field. More thought has been put into all of it, and there's more competition.

Heh, as I said, I'm projecting a bit.

I'm just thinking of it in terms of Cognitive Science. It's such a broad new field, and there really hasn't been enough time for people to really think all of these things through. There's so much work to be done that it's really just a matter of getting to it first.

There have been soooo many times I've thought of theories/arguments that seem to explain certain phenomenon better than the theories I'd learned. Almost all of those times, I'll hear the same theory I'd come up with in lecture the next day -- some of them published less than five years ago.

So yeah, I'm sure it would be a lot different in your field. More thought has been put into all of it, and there's more competition.
    Interesting. I hadn't considered cognitive science. It seems like there could be a lot of use of discrete math, and non-linear dynamics in that field.

Perhaps, you've picked up a competitor

What are some good programs in cognitive science, that would make use of mathematics?

Robot Fusion

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Interesting. I hadn't considered cognitive science. It seems like there could be a lot of use of discrete math, and non-linear dynamics in that field.

Perhaps, you've picked up a competitor

What are some good programs in cognitive science, that would make use of mathematics?
    Neural networks are very math-ey (lots of computer science, too). Also, there's a lot of cool categorization stuff in N-dimensional space.