• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Harmless banter vs seriously speaking your mind

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So how is one to tell them apart with NT's? I mean, when you know someone already, then it usually isn't that hard to tell, but when you've just met them and they make a potentially hurtful comment, it can be hard. What are the telltale signs that we shouldn't take it serious, and when do you actually mean it? Or, do you use those remarks to test the waters yourself? Help us poor confused NF's understand... :huh: *goes hide*

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
From NTJ perspective there is no rules since there will probably be some strategy behind it. It all depend on the goals.

As for NTPs in most case it is just a harmless joke as far as I know.

Actually in some cases it can be both.

My advice is: don't take things too personaly no matter what.

norepinephrine

MBTI Type
INTP
So how is one to tell them apart with NT's? I mean, when you know someone already, then it usually isn't that hard to tell, but when you've just met them and they make a potentially hurtful comment, it can be hard. What are the telltale signs that we shouldn't take it serious, and when do you actually mean it? Or, do you use those remarks to test the waters yourself? Help us poor confused NF's understand... :huh: *goes hide*

If I've just met a person, it's highly unlikely I would make a hurtful remark that was meant to be serious. It's much more likely to be an offhand humorous comment that unfortunately hit too close to home for the listener.

While I, unless said listener chooses to brain me with an iron skillet, remain blissfully oblivious.

Trust me, I'm not usually picking up enough on the nuances of a conversation to do it on purpose.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What about if you've been talking to this person for a while now, still first conversation and s/he has a certain attitude, twitch, whatever, that bugs you. You see, what I'm looking for is how do you guys 'hint' that you don't like the person and therefore would like to leave the conversation and not meet them again, and how is it different from the banter you use to bond?

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
What about if you've been talking to this person for a while now, still first conversation and s/he has a certain attitude, twitch, whatever, that bugs you. You see, what I'm looking for is how do you guys 'hint' that you don't like the person and therefore would like to leave the conversation and not meet them again, and how is it different from the banter you use to bond?

I usually just don't give them back the energy they are giving me. Or I'll try to focus my attention on someone or something else. But sometimes if someone is annoying me, and I'm stuck with them in whatever situation it is, I'll playfully mess with them, but I do that with people I like as well. If I don't like them, it will probably be harsher and more negative.

So, it's usually harmless, I guess.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

There is no real way of telling that, since NTs especially introverted ones are not interested in subtlety of communication and things like bodylanguage in most cases.

When I talk to someone I think about strenght of their argument and a way how to destroy their agrument if it looks wrong from my perspective.

norepinephrine

MBTI Type
INTP

Backing away slowly while waving at invisible people on the other side of the room?

Seriously, I would disconnect - in body language by turning slightly away from head on, in conversation by giving shorter, curter replies. My eyes would be scanning the room looking for something more interesting. But I still don't see myself making an unkind comment.

I only mess with people I like. It's an investment of energy I'm unlikely to waste on someone I don't plan to interact with again.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
that's one of the things i like so much about intp's because i pretty much always feel like they are half joking or being silly like me...or it's just a silly observation not laced with an emotional undercurrent you know.

and they're adept in the art of being feisty w/o being hurtful...some people try but they just come off like an ass...you know?

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Assume it's banter, especially from an NTP. :)

In person, I use nonverbals to make my intent clear. Online, I use smilies, but those aren't as clear. With online friends, not being able to see their nonverbals is frustrating, like trying to write without using any vowels.

If I'm still bantering, engaging in dialogue, or engaging in a friendly debate with someone, I probably still like them. :D

Sometimes an NT's edge (attitude) is the shell covering a vulnerability or desire to avoid being vulnerable. It often becomes more apparent just before it is removed.

With NT's, I don't think you could go wrong by going straight to the point and asking why they have adopted a certain pattern of interaction.

T

ThatGirl

I actually don't realize something may be considered hurtful until someone let's me know they have been hurt. At which point if they just start yelling at me they are going to be in for a rude awakening but if they give me the benifit of the doubt and ask me to clarify, I will explain what I meant and make a mental note.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
Assume everything is banter unless it's repeated with increasing intensity per exchange.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Assume everything is banter unless it's repeated with increasing intensity per exchange.

It can be, but in many cases this can only mean that the person enjoys exchange of an arguments in some cases it can even be invitation for a small dabate on the subject. What isn't exactly in "I don't like to spend time with you" category.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
"many a true word is spoken in jest"

Can you explain why someone you don't know has the power to hurt you?
Irritate, maybe, but hurt? Why?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
"many a true word is spoken in jest"

Can you explain why someone you don't know has the power to hurt you?
Irritate, maybe, but hurt? Why?

I guess coz I give everyone the benefit of the doubt and easily trust people. I let people in easily. And I mean well. It hurts when those intentions are rejected, I guess. Makes me automatically go: 'What did I do wrong?'

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
It's difficult and sometimes costly to make assumptions of others' intentions. I usually act upon the words, not what I think is under them. This gives people the respect they are due of not misrepresenting themselves. In other words, unless something is blatantly an awkward attempt at humor, I will take it at face value the first time. The old "say what you mean; mean what you say" stuff.

If their judgement is poor and they are saying things which they don't mean or which don't truly reflect their character, then they are the ones with the problem. If their timing at humor, potentially hurtful though it may be, is off time will tell whether they mean harm or not.

To address Blue, I think people who deliberately mean harm or make a habit to attempt to poke at someone's tender spots, are acting out of unhealed past hurts. And as you intimate, it indirectly has nothing to do with you.

Why does it hurt coming from a stranger? For the same reason they are doing it - something in our past is unhealed and it has just been engaged.

In a sense it is two children acting out something from their pasts. If we keep it in the present it can sometimes be untangled without even addressing the issues.

For instance: "Your sense of humor, or your comment, stings." will let the other person know we've gotten entangled. Keeping the observation in the present, free of judgement and clean of junk helps.

What the person responds will help you to understand whether it was intentional or not.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I guess coz I give everyone the benefit of the doubt and easily trust people. I let people in easily. And I mean well. It hurts when those intentions are rejected, I guess. Makes me automatically go: 'What did I do wrong?'

Being too open and friendly can a serious turn off for an NT.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
Harmless banter?

I don't engage in that sort. I'm much too caustic and serious, every word spoken is meant to penetrate defenses. No matter how well guarded. My intentions often belie my childish nature, especially in "intimate, or personal" matters. Be forewarned I am obviously very perverted. :dry:

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Yeah. I can see how that would suck.
There are advantages to being a heartless nincompoop. ;)

NTs tend to be sticks and stones kinda people. We're irreverent and perverse. We'll insult you in jest or in earnest - but we mean no harm, as a rule. We're only ever really nice to people we can't stand. Like SJs.