• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Harmless banter vs seriously speaking your mind

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
It's such a good question. I don't understand banter and some of the things NTs say to each other set my hair on end, so they do make me nervous, too. Even with ones I know well, I never feel like I know what's really going on.
Sometimes arguments (aka "banter") is fun. You can call it harmless one-up-manship. A way of assessing and confirming intellectual competence between fellow NTs. Mutual ego stroking. (oh yes I like that term :D)

NTs and especially female NTs make me go :wubbie: everytime they open their mouth. I mean look at that, so warm and welcoming!
And I suppose to give you a hug and a kiss now? :doh:

Alpha Prime

MBTI Type
XXXX
Enneagram
XXXX
You see, what I'm looking for is (1) how do you guys 'hint' that you don't like the person and therefore would like to leave the conversation and not meet them again, and (2) how is it different from the banter you use to bond?

1: I'm gonna ignore them, in all ways. If I'm talking to you it either means I'm interested in talking to you, or nothing more interesting is going on around us, in which case I'ma leave you asap.
2: You'll just know. It depends on the context.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
I tell people, "If you're confused about whether I'm joking, that means I'm joking. If I mean it--trust me--you'll know."

Often they don't get it until they see me being serious. Then they long for the good ole days.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
yeah well, I've had the whole sarcasm at my expense-thing happen as well. You think they're just bantering and you join in and instead it turns out they don't and humiliate you in front of everyone. Makes me always check to be sure I'm not falling into a trap. Hence this thread :)

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
yeah well, I've had the whole sarcasm at my expense-thing happen as well. You think they're just bantering and you join in and instead it turns out they don't and humiliate you in front of everyone. Makes me always check to be sure I'm not falling into a trap. Hence this thread :)

I test people to find out what sort of banter they can handle. If they're sensitive, I'll pull it back a bit and treat them tenderly. If they can dish it back, I know I've spotted a keeper. :hug:

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I test people to find out what sort of banter they can handle. If they're sensitive, I'll pull it back a bit and treat them tenderly. If they can dish it back, I know I've spotted a keeper. :hug:

That's much appreciated :) Once I know you a bit better, I'll be able to take it a lot better and dish it out myself :devil:

MBTI Type
INxJ
NTs and especially female NTs make me go :wubbie: everytime they open their mouth. I mean look at that, so warm and welcoming!

:thelook:

Sometimes arguments (aka "banter") is fun. You can call it harmless one-up-manship. A way of assessing and confirming intellectual competence between fellow NTs. Mutual ego stroking. (oh yes I like that term :D)

Ah, yes. Banter ahoy.

Tiltyred

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If the people doing the bantering are both really smart and really quick, and it doesn't descend too far below the belt, it can be entertaining, but as a spectator sport. Like watching boxing, maybe. Not something I'd want to participate in, but I do like to watch.

When I'm forced to engage, though, I often don't manage any better than "Fuck you" either. Against the right foil, that's funny, too, but when I say it I'm generally just exasperated rather than going for the laugh.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah well, I've had the whole sarcasm at my expense-thing happen as well. You think they're just bantering and you join in and instead it turns out they don't and humiliate you in front of everyone.
Well now. That's just plain mean.

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
I think that banter can be used effectively to speak your mind and keep people's feelings safe... Good banter is based on humour and I think in general humour is such an effective tool all around; medical, spiritual, revealing... speaking your mind is great and releases tension and is called for but hurting someone perhaps is not... Just my thoughts as I randomly plough my way through a research paper locked in my room like Anne bleedin Frank :(