User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: ENTP Therapist?

MBTI
    ENTP

Default ENTP Therapist?

When I do my periodic life course correction I think about different careers. Lately, I have been looking at being a therapist (or an attorney). The thing I like about being a therapist is helping people overcome and optimize as people, to get what they want and need out of life. I am aloof enough not to get too involved personally, analytical enough with enough emotional intelligence to wade into chthonic emotional waters, and I am very interested in people.

Do you think ENTP's could make successful therapists? Do you know of any?
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

hmm...from what i know so far which honestly...isn't a lot...but i think you would be amazing...i think i would be amazing if i were more logic based then emotion based so yeah...i think so...helpful?? haha
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    intp

God, when I think of IRL or board ENTPs, I want to say a big fat no on the therapist bit.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    xxxx

When I saw this thread I thought you were making a joke. I guess that's as much of an answer to your question as anything.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Depends on if they can keep their Ne on a leash, I'd say
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by InaF3157 View Post
    God when I think of IRL or board ENTPs, I want to say a big fat no.
    Well, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by erinavery View Post
    hmm...from what i know so far which honestly...isn't a lot...but i think you would be amazing...i think i would be amazing if i were more logic based then emotion based so yeah...i think so...helpful?? haha
    Very helpful and thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by pippi View Post
    When I saw this thread I thought you were making a joke. I guess that's as much of an answer to your question as anything.
    You're a big softie.

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Depends on if they can keep their Ne on a leash, I'd say
    Explain please!
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Explain please!
    Well, from what I gather, you guys are like us, but then with T. Now, I know I can sometimes already be incredibly blunt when my Ne goes crazy, coz I start bouncing of ideas without putting them through my Fi filter. I can imagine that as a therapist you need to be..sensitive to the emotions and thoughts of your patient. And from what I've heard ENTPs are known for being abrupt and blunt occasionally. So, I'd say as long as you think twice and reformulate before you speak, you'll be fine
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

i agree with that too...i know i can be too blunt also but i think it's my way too strong empathy that would keep me from being a great therapist....but if you can read people the same way...make the connections and express it effectively w/o being too involved. i think you would be great.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Well, from what I gather, you guys are like us, but then with T. Now, I know I can sometimes already be incredibly blunt when my Ne goes crazy, coz I start bouncing of ideas without putting them through my Fi filter. I can imagine that as a therapist you need to be..sensitive to the emotions and thoughts of your patient. And from what I've heard ENTPs are known for being abrupt and blunt occasionally. So, I'd say as long as you think twice and reformulate before you speak, you'll be fine
    Excellent advice for all dominant Ne users. I tried to explain last week what out of control Ne feels like when it is directed at me and you are correct, it really needs to be filtered through Ti or Fi to be of any use to someone else.

garbage

My first successful therapist was ENFP, but he was very, very logically-minded. I know his more logical approach worked very well for me, at least! Maybe there's such a niche for ENTP therapists. I think it could work for you, but I'm not sure if you'd be able to reach all of your clients right away. You might think about specializing in certain problems or on certain personalities.

Even as an ENTJ, I'm seen as the "go-to" guy for friends and acquaintances who are going through rough patches in their lives. I've led group therapy sessions and want to bring the best out of people. This is obviously not the same thing as taking on therapy as a career, but it tells me to not allow my type to tell me what I can and cannot do.