• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTP Therapist?

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
When I do my periodic life course correction I think about different careers. Lately, I have been looking at being a therapist (or an attorney). The thing I like about being a therapist is helping people overcome and optimize as people, to get what they want and need out of life. I am aloof enough not to get too involved personally, analytical enough with enough emotional intelligence to wade into chthonic emotional waters, and I am very interested in people.

Do you think ENTP's could make successful therapists? Do you know of any?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
hmm...from what i know so far which honestly...isn't a lot...but i think you would be amazing...i think i would be amazing if i were more logic based then emotion based so yeah...i think so...helpful?? haha

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
God, when I think of IRL or board ENTPs, I want to say a big fat no on the therapist bit.

pippi

MBTI Type
xxxx
When I saw this thread I thought you were making a joke. I guess that's as much of an answer to your question as anything.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Depends on if they can keep their Ne on a leash, I'd say ;)

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
God when I think of IRL or board ENTPs, I want to say a big fat no.

Well, yes.

hmm...from what i know so far which honestly...isn't a lot...but i think you would be amazing...i think i would be amazing if i were more logic based then emotion based so yeah...i think so...helpful?? haha

Very helpful and thank you.

When I saw this thread I thought you were making a joke. I guess that's as much of an answer to your question as anything.

You're a big softie.

Depends on if they can keep their Ne on a leash, I'd say ;)

Explain please!

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Explain please!

Well, from what I gather, you guys are like us, but then with T. Now, I know I can sometimes already be incredibly blunt when my Ne goes crazy, coz I start bouncing of ideas without putting them through my Fi filter. I can imagine that as a therapist you need to be..sensitive to the emotions and thoughts of your patient. And from what I've heard ENTPs are known for being abrupt and blunt occasionally. So, I'd say as long as you think twice and reformulate before you speak, you'll be fine :)

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i agree with that too...i know i can be too blunt also but i think it's my way too strong empathy that would keep me from being a great therapist....but if you can read people the same way...make the connections and express it effectively w/o being too involved. i think you would be great.

pippi

MBTI Type
xxxx
Well, from what I gather, you guys are like us, but then with T. Now, I know I can sometimes already be incredibly blunt when my Ne goes crazy, coz I start bouncing of ideas without putting them through my Fi filter. I can imagine that as a therapist you need to be..sensitive to the emotions and thoughts of your patient. And from what I've heard ENTPs are known for being abrupt and blunt occasionally. So, I'd say as long as you think twice and reformulate before you speak, you'll be fine :)

Excellent advice for all dominant Ne users. I tried to explain last week what out of control Ne feels like when it is directed at me and you are correct, it really needs to be filtered through Ti or Fi to be of any use to someone else.

G

garbage

My first successful therapist was ENFP, but he was very, very logically-minded. I know his more logical approach worked very well for me, at least! Maybe there's such a niche for ENTP therapists. I think it could work for you, but I'm not sure if you'd be able to reach all of your clients right away. You might think about specializing in certain problems or on certain personalities.

Even as an ENTJ, I'm seen as the "go-to" guy for friends and acquaintances who are going through rough patches in their lives. I've led group therapy sessions and want to bring the best out of people. This is obviously not the same thing as taking on therapy as a career, but it tells me to not allow my type to tell me what I can and cannot do.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
psyche, along with sociology, is one of the majors that i lack one semester in getting. it's the easiest topic i've ever studied and get As without even trying, which i attribute to my studying it for fun (both by books and real life experience) since i was a child before even taking the classes. i enjoy it for many reasons. the puzzles, the helping, the actual encouragement to be objective, everything.

just because i don't go around giving advice on these forums does NOT mean that i don't enjoy that type of thing. it's that i can't stand giving unsolicited advice. that's the big difference. however, even here and at INTPc, i've given plenty of it when asked, even many times talking people through their problems over AIM and yahoo. i just don't advertise that i'm like that.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Excellent advice for all dominant Ne users. I tried to explain last week what out of control Ne feels like when it is directed at me and you are correct, it really needs to be filtered through Ti or Fi to be of any use to someone else.

Grin, I know, it can be overwhelming. I dunno if it helps, but it's not meant to be a personal attack, it's just passion running wild. Stop us, tell us to back up and run that by you again. That's usually enough to stop the surge of energy that has gotten away from us.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I have been to *many* therapists, as well as psychiatrists.

And the *only* therapists who I have ever had *any* success with whatsoever, have been Fs.

I am of the opinion that a therapist should be a well-balanced F.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
I have been to *many* therapists, as well as psychiatrists.

And the *only* therapists who I have ever had *any* success with whatsoever, have been Fs.

I am of the opinion that a therapist should be a well-balanced F.

what's the difference between a well-balanced F and a well-balanced T?

pippi

MBTI Type
xxxx
Grin, I know, it can be overwhelming. I dunno if it helps, but it's not meant to be a personal attack, it's just passion running wild. Stop us, tell us to back up and run that by you again. That's usually enough to stop the surge of energy that has gotten away from us.
Nah, I just tune out, imagine myself strangling them, and wait for them to wind down so there can be a rational discussion.

In the interest of equality, with out of control Te I do much the same thing, but I imagine slapping them instead of strangling. :devil:

I just had this discussion with Javo, spooky

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i just don't advertise that i'm like that.

Umm...

EDIT. I wouldn't want an ENTP therapist, I don't know if they could put their ego aside sufficiently or if they would be empathic enough. Also, what happens when they get bored with you and/or the job?

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been to six therapists when I was having bad anxiety for a few years. Only one who worked for me was a T, I think. He had logical solutions to my problems that I still use every day. And my anxiety is under control, now. I couldn't stand just sitting in those offices with fuzzy-wuzzy F's talking about my problems. I talk about my problems all day to my friends. I need soulutions damnit not more reflection!!!

So yea, I think it could work.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I think that a therapist should be empathetic, and perhaps I think this because I am an F, I dunno.

But, I have WORKED my T therapists/psychotherapists/psychiatrists, deeming them unable to understand me and my problems, and hence incompetent, then fucking with them for a bit to then move on.

I have had three therapists who have actually helped me a lot, all Fs, and incredibly empathetic, I could not hide my problems with them, nor did I want to, they felt me and where I was coming from, they listened, truly listened, and helped.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
That one is still inevitably an F, and the other is still inevitably a T.

how do you know?

do you know something about me that i don't?

I've been to six therapists when I was having bad anxiety for a few years. Only one who worked for me was a T, I think. He had logical solutions to my problems that I still use every day. And my anxiety is under control, now. I couldn't stand just sitting in those offices with fuzzy-wuzzy F's talking about my problems. I talk about my problems all day to my friends. I need soulutions damnit not more reflection!!!

So yea, I think it could work.

i agree. "different strokes for different folks" means there is no reason why a T can't succeed in this field.