User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Thread: ENTP Therapist?

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    MIGHT NOT HAND YOU A TISSUE WHILE YOU CRY?!?!?!

EW, FUCKING, EW!!!
    what are you 'ewing' about? the not getting a tissue or the crying?
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    I imagine there would be tissues on the table next to you in my imaginary office. But, I would watch impassively as you reached for one yourself.
    When I cry in the company of someone else, that is a big fucking deal, and it is indicative of my feeling both incredibly emotional and vulnerable, and for this emotional vulnerability to be met with impassivity, wow, just wow.

My father, (INTP), had a tendency to treat tears/crying with impassivity and there are no words in the English language that could begin to express the feelings that such impassivity evoked in me.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENTP

When I cry in the company of someone else, that is a big fucking deal, and it is indicative of my feeling both incredibly emotional and vulnerable, and for this emotional vulnerability to be met with impassivity, wow, just wow.

My father, (INTP), had a tendency to treat tears/crying with impassivity and there are no words in the English language that could begin to express the feelings that such impassivity evoked in me.
    Unfortunately, impassivity does not equal disregard. It represents boundaries of professionalism. Maybe the fact that you would see it in a negative light means something about your expectations when you open up.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I figure most therapists who have been around long enough will know when crying people might benefit from a tissue or at least some kind of appropriate response.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Very nice. I would like to hear what you do.
    Professionally, I'm in litigation. I go to court now and then, but mostly do research and writing, which requires strategizing. It also requires meticulous attention to detail, which I sometimes am motivated to do, other times much less.

Outside of my profession, I've been practicing meditation for a while and studying Zen. That syncs up better with a helping profession like psychology, since you are cultivating compassion, empathy, and self-intimacy in meditation. This is just my opinion, of course. There are Zen masters who would probably say that profession is irrelevant if it's conducted mindfully. I personally think that the qualities you cultivate in your career should be qualities you are trying to cultivate as a human being. Otherwise you're fighting yourself and/or splitting off into 2 personalities, one for career, one for your personal life. Easier when they coincide.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    what are you 'ewing' about? the not getting a tissue or the crying?
    I am ewing at the response to the

Unfortunately, impassivity does not equal disregard. It represents boundaries of professionalism. Maybe the fact that you would see it in a negative light means something about your expectations when you open up.
    Hmm,

Listen, I cannot speak for anyone else here, but for me, personally, I do not open myself up easily to others, and further allow myself to open up to such an extent that I actually am able to feel comfortable enough to cry.

I have probably cried somewhere around 10 to 20 times in therapy out of something like 150 sessions.

When I cry, that means A LOT, and for my crying to be met with professional distance, is just not my cup of tea.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENTP

Listen, I cannot speak for anyone else here, but for me, personally, I do not open myself up easily to others, and further allow myself to open up to such an extent that I actually am able to feel comfortable enough to cry.

I have probably cried somewhere around 10 to 20 times in therapy out of something like 150 sessions.

When I cry, that means A LOT, and for my crying to be met with professional distance, is just not my cup of tea.
    What if I gave you a big ass hug instead?

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Professionally, I'm in litigation. I go to court now and then, but mostly do research and writing, which requires strategizing. It also requires meticulous attention to detail, which I sometimes am motivated to do, other times much less.

Outside of my profession, I've been practicing meditation for a while and studying Zen. That syncs up better with a helping profession like psychology, since you are cultivating compassion, empathy, and self-intimacy in meditation. This is just my opinion, of course. There are Zen masters who would probably say that profession is irrelevant if it's conducted mindfully. I personally think that the qualities you cultivate in your career should be qualities you are trying to cultivate as a human being. Otherwise you're fighting yourself and/or splitting off into 2 personalities, one for career, one for your personal life. Easier when they coincide.
    I need to pick your brain.

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I am ewing at the response to the
    if it makes you feel any better, CC, i'd assume that anyone who has come to the point in their life that they feel they need therapy, is vulnerable enough to cry, so i'd have tissues ready and would do my best to make sure they knew it was encouraged (and especially not frowned upon) if it helped.

that would just make sense (is logical) in my book.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    if it makes you feel any better, CC, i'd assume that anyone who has come to the point in their life that they feel they need therapy, is vulnerable enough to cry, so i'd have tissues ready and would do my best to make sure they knew it was encouraged (and especially not frowned upon) if it helped.

that would just make sense (is logical) in my book.
    Me, too. And I'd make sure that they felt comfortable enough in my presence to know that I was empathetic, even as I tried to maintain enough objectivity to give them insight. I know from past experience that absolute stoicism from your therapist when you're already feeling vulnerable makes you want to take your vulnerablilty somewhere else.

In other words, folks, hand them a freaking tissue.
    Something Witty