User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Thread: ENTP Therapist?

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Tallulah, I have done some research on this.

A.) It would be to your advantage to get involved with a therapist who understands the problems often attributed to gifted females. We are a different breed with different needs.

B.) When people are depressed, they often lack the ability to synthesize information while they are still, (and much to their further detriment), able to analyze information.

C.) My thoughts: A good therapeutic approach allows us to see and understand new approaches and perspectives to employ in order to combat whatever it is that is ailing us.

D.) I have suffered through both major depression and dysthymia as well, and there are several books that have helped me a shit ton.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    No, and I really didn't mean to imply that. Just a tendency I've noticed through board interaction with a few ENTPs. Other types would have things they'd have to watch, too, but Syn was asking if an ENTP would make a good therapist, so I answered it that way.

NTs, in general, can get very obsessed with a problem/topic, and Entps are no different. what is different, is what subjects interest them. for some (maybe even many), 'people' are what they find fascinating, the mind is fascinating, and having to constantly research is also fascinating, then add all of that to getting to apply what they know (and continue to learn) is an unending supply of blessed interesting mystery.

and, doing what one loves to do with the default being that you've helped someone with something they couldn't do alone as the payoff can be beyond fulfilling.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    Umm...

EDIT. I wouldn't want an ENTP therapist, I don't know if they could put their ego aside sufficiently or if they would be empathic enough. Also, what happens when they get bored with you and/or the job?
    when i said that i don't advertise it, i meant that i don't advertise it characteristically by going around giving unsolicited advice to people (to me, that's extremely egocentric and insulting) or by starting threads saying i'm open to giving it (same reasons).

what i did in my post was simply attempt to clarify, you.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ

Cerebral Artery

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    While you are being provided with that outside perspective, aren't you thinking?
    Yes, but you are also finally dealing with the emotional aspect of whatever might be causing your situation. For me, personally, therapy has been a place where I can realign what I'm thinking with what is actually probably closer to reality, as well as a place where I can figure out what some of my vague, bottled-up feelings really are. I'm not saying you don't use logic. I'm just saying a logic-based therapist that did not acknowledge the emotional end of things would not be very useful to me at all. Nor would one who merely offered up a scientific chart of how the brain works, or gave me a breathing exercise to do.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Tallulah, I have done some research on this.

A.) It would be to your advantage to get involved with a therapist who understands the problems often attributed to gifted females. We are a different breed with different needs.

B.) When people are depressed, they often lack the ability to synthesize information while they are still, (and much to their further detriment), able to analyze information.

C.) My thoughts: A good therapeutic approach allows us to see and understand new approaches and perspectives to employ in order to combat whatever it is that is ailing us.

D.) I have suffered through both major depression and dysthymia as well, and there are several books that have helped me a shit ton.
    Good thoughts, CC! And yes, I definitely relate to B a lot. I can analyze the heck out of things till the cows come home. You can wake me up in the middle of the night and tell me to analyze something, and I'm on it. But sometimes the constant analysis is what gets me into trouble. We can't always analyze ourselves, because it's nearly impossible to be objective about ourselves, and people aren't systems. The things that are my strengths, academically, as an INTP, can sometimes work against me when I try to apply them to myself. And when you just have a lot of information coming at you, you can intellectually understand it, but you can't always take it and internalize/process it so that it can be of any benefit. I can logically know that what I'm thinking is screwed up, and it can still seem right. That's when I need an outside person that I trust to help me get back on track.

I'd love to know which books helped you, if you can remember the titles.

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post

NTs, in general, can get very obsessed with a problem/topic, and Entps are no different. what is different, is what subjects interest them. for some (maybe even many), 'people' are what they find fascinating, the mind is fascinating, and having to constantly research, then getting to apply what they know (and continue to learn) is an unending supply of blessed interesting mystery.

and, doing what one loves to do with the default being that you've helped someone with something they couldn't do alone as the payoff can be beyond fulfilling.
    Very true! I think being a therapist would be very rewarding for the reasons you described. I think where I'd get frustrated is knowing that I'd listened, and given them the tools to get better, etc., and realizing that some were choosing to wallow in their screwed-up-edness.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    ENTP

I think where I'd get frustrated is knowing that I'd listened, and given them the tools to get better, etc., and realizing that some were choosing to wallow in their screwed-up-edness.
    That's when you tell them, "I can't help you if you want to keep doing the same shit and expecting a different result."
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ENTP

I think an ENTP would be a great therapist, analytical but removed. Might not hand you the tissue while you cry, but likely to come up with an accurate assessment. Also, a lot of "Fs" who go into therapy, especially the SFs, have weak analytic skills.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

MIGHT NOT HAND YOU A TISSUE WHILE YOU CRY?!?!?!

EW, FUCKING, EW!!!
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    ENTP

EW, FUCKING, EW!!!
    I imagine there would be tissues on the table next to you in my imaginary office. But, I would watch impassively as you reached for one yourself.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ENTP

I think where I'd get frustrated is knowing that I'd listened, and given them the tools to get better, etc., and realizing that some were choosing to wallow in their screwed-up-edness.
    heh. that happens IRL enough for me to know it would happen whether i was getting paid or not, and being a therapist, at least i'd get paid.

not only that, but the ones that i helped would make up for the ones that i finally decided didn't really want help. that said, it'd take a LOT for me to come to that conclusion, but hey, once i did, then at least i could tell myself that i helped them by allowing them to continue to wallow.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ

Cerebral Artery

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

EW, FUCKING, EW!!!
    At least they'd make them available. That's not something I would think of.