User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Thread: ENTP Therapist?

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    I'm in nursing school.
    We use observable behaviors, scales, and patient reports. Need to reach certain goals within certain time frames.
    Interesting. I do wonder how goal setting works in the context of psychological counseling. If I ever did go to therapy, I know I would ask for such a plan, rather than just a time every week for me to unload on someone.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Hey that's probably true. I'd like to see stats saying how much Ts compared to Fs seek therapy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    I imagine it would be the converse if anything. T's do not seem likely to need solutions or logical approaches, they would seem to be to benefit from accessing their latent emotional states, which are likely rather undeveloped and difficult to access.
    just because a T may need therapy, doesn't mean they'd seek it out. many Ts are much more apt to try to solve it on their own or at least be convinced that they could if they gave it enough of an attempt. and, speaking only of myself, i'd want a therapist who would first listen, so i'd know they care enough to get all of the necessary information, but then give advice. preferably more than one option, so that i could decide which would work better for me.

If someone wants to get me to see something or figure out something or anything a therapist might want to do, I as a T am more likely to be related to and able to benefit from, a logical approach.

Maybe if a therapist is trying to get someone to access some repressed childhood trauma, an F would be most effective for a T.
    i agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Bingo. I had a therapist who would only give me practical solutions, and would never try to get at the root of the problem. I don't think it was because he was T, though. I'm not even sure he was. The problem is that there are lots of approaches across the board, and, depending on where you study, or your personal preferences, you end up choosing a "style."
    absolutely. i, for one, would be obsessed with getting to the root of the problem (the real 'truth' is paramount to finding the real answer). that is always on the top of my list when approaching things, including people asking for advice.

I do think you'd make a good therapist, Synarch--you seem to be mature and care about people. With some ENTPs, I'd be worried that the patient would become sort of a science project for the therapist, but I don't think that would be a temptation with you.
    i really don't think a large percentage of any type would go to all of the trouble of getting into the field if that's how they viewed others.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Interesting. I do wonder how goal setting works in the context of psychological counseling. If I ever did go to therapy, I know I would ask for such a plan, rather than just a time every week for me to unload on someone.
    Absolutely. Well lets say you were tearful 3X this week related to your depression. Your goal may be to be only 2X next week, 1X the week after, and be tear-free the next week. I don't know if that's how it works for counseling, but thats how nurses would go about it.
    Goals =good.
    Aimless talking = bad.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Would not the fact that you are seeking therapy bely the fact that some problems do not have logical solutions? As T's we sometimes have to accept the limits of logic in confronting the questions of life.
    I don't think that because someone is a T, they have all the logical answers out there concerning their psyche, and have some kind of total logical understanding out their world, so I think T style communication could do a lot to help.

Do you have an example of a problem a T could have that wouldn't require logical help and solution?

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I don't think that because someone is a T, they have all the logical answers out there concerning their psyche, and have some kind of total logical understanding out their world, so I think T style communication could do a lot to help.
    Not as a rule, no. What some do understand though is that most people in a professional occupation, which includes therapists, aren't exceptionally good at what they do. If you can find and afford the top 1%, wonderful, but otherwise you're probably better off making a decent friend.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Not as a rule, no. What some do understand though is that most people in a professional occupation, which includes therapists, aren't exceptionally good at what they do. If you can find and afford the top 1%, wonderful, but otherwise you're probably better off making a decent friend.
    psh. my friends come to me, and too many others, for advice way too often for me to go to them for any real answers.

a hug? sure, but answers? no. clarification? no. new insight? no. objectivity? no.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ

Cerebral Artery

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    psh. my friends come to me, and too many others, for advice way too often for me to go to them for any real answers. a hug? sure, but answers? no.
    Well I give my friends answers. What surprises the hell out of me is that they sometimes actually listen to them, and improve their situations.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Well I give my friends answers. What surprises the hell out of me is that they sometimes actually listen to them, and improve their situations.
    that surprises me too.

zing!
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ

Cerebral Artery

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    Tallulah, why did you go to a male therapist, just wondering...
    I was referred to him, and I lived in a small town at the time, so there weren't a lot of choices. I don't know that I would have preferred a female therapist over a male, though. As long as they're competent and compassionate, it doesn't matter so much to me.

Do you have an example of a problem a T could have that wouldn't require logical help and solution?
    Would not the fact that you are seeking therapy bely the fact that some problems do not have logical solutions? As T's we sometimes have to accept the limits of logic in confronting the questions of life.
    YES. Especially when it's a chemical thing that's happening in your brain, and you have tried every logical thing you can think of to snap yourself out of it, and you realize it's not something you can just "logic away." Therapy is useful to me because it provides an outside perspective when I can't trust what my brain is telling me. If you haven't experienced clinical depression or anxiety, you feel like there's nothing in the world that couldn't be fixed by logic. If you have experienced those things, you realize that you're not bulletproof, and there are some things that can't be fixed by more thinking. In fact, overthinking is usually the problem.

Jack Flak, I think that attitude is exactly what people need. To upturn the tables, so to speak. By definition, what they are doing is not working. That is a very perceptive attitude, on your part.
    Jack's approach might work with some people. That'd be one of the things you'd have to intuit. I know it would just make me angry. Not anger-as-motivator, just angry at this yahoo who thinks he can manipulate me into wanting to prove him wrong by fixing my life. I'd see through that immediately.

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    just because a T may need therapy, doesn't mean they'd seek it out. many Ts are much more apt to try to solve it on their own or at least be convinced that they could if they gave it enough of an attempt. and, speaking only of myself, i'd want a therapist who would first listen, so i'd know they care enough to get all of the necessary information, but then give advice. preferably more than one option, so that i could decide which would work better for me.
    Absolutely. I want to know that this person is taking my case as an individual case, and has cared enough to get the facts before tailoring an approach to me.

Quote Originally Posted by digest
    i really don't think a large percentage of any type would go to all of the trouble of getting into the field if that's how they viewed others.
    No, and I really didn't mean to imply that. Just a tendency I've noticed through board interaction with a few ENTPs. Other types would have things they'd have to watch, too, but Syn was asking if an ENTP would make a good therapist, so I answered it that way.
    Something Witty

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    YES. Especially when it's a chemical thing that's happening in your brain, and you have tried every logical thing you can think of to snap yourself out of it, and you realize it's not something you can just "logic away." Therapy is useful to me because it provides an outside perspective when I can't trust what my brain is telling me. If you haven't experienced clinical depression or anxiety, you feel like there's nothing in the world that couldn't be fixed by logic. If you have experienced those things, you realize that you're not bulletproof, and there are some things that can't be fixed by more thinking. In fact, overthinking is usually the problem.
    While you are being provided with that outside perspective, aren't you thinking?