User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Thread: ENTP Therapist?

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Hey that's probably true. I'd like to see stats saying how much Ts compared to Fs seek therapy.
    I imagine it would be the converse if anything. T's do not seem likely to need solutions or logical approaches, they would seem to be to benefit from accessing their latent emotional states, which are likely rather undeveloped and difficult to access.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    I imagine it would be the converse if anything. T's do not seem likely to need solutions or logical approaches, they would seem to be to benefit from accessing their latent emotional states, which are likely rather undeveloped and difficult to access.
    If someone wants to get me to see something or figure out something or anything a therapist might want to do, I as a T am more likely to be related to and able to benefit from, a logical approach.

Maybe if a therapist is trying to get someone to access some repressed childhood trauma, an F would be most effective for a T.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Maybe F dominants benefit from T dominants and vice versa?
    Hmm, interestingly enough, my ex-boyfriend who is a T dominant helped me tremendously with my depression by telling me over and over again that in the end, we each have only one life to live and regardless of all the crap that may have been thrown our way, it is ultimately our responsibility to live our lives as happily and successful as we so fit.

I have also used cognitive-behavioral approaches to reason my way out of existential despair.

Maybe you benefit more from empathy than solutions.
    No, I go to therapy with the intent to vent, and to open up my feelings, (and believe it or not, this is quite difficult for me to do), and when I find a therapist I can trust enough to express my innermost fears and fucked-upness, that alone helps me a lot. Therapy, (as in going to see an actual therapist), for me, has always been about opening up and dealing with the problems that arise when I open up.

I do worry that I would lose interest, as I do with most things, however I do feel this need to be impactful and this manifests wherever I work, whether that be in helping clients make money or in helping people triumph in their own lives.
    Yeah, you wouldn't want to suddenly lose interest in a patient, :ouch:

You never kiss ass, so I know you mean it.

Maybe it is dominated by F's because it is less of a challenge for F's to deploy feeling. How do you measure the success of a therapeutic intervention?
    Hmm, this is a difficult question, will have to think about this for a bit...
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INTP

Bingo. I had a therapist who would only give me practical solutions, and would never try to get at the root of the problem. I don't think it was because he was T, though. I'm not even sure he was. The problem is that there are lots of approaches across the board, and, depending on where you study, or your personal preferences, you end up choosing a "style."

What I was really wanting my therapist to do was to know a lot about depression/dysthymia/perfectionism, and the effects any or all can have on the brain/thinking process. I wanted him to ask the right questions so I could figure out where all of it originated. I wanted him to reassure me that he'd seen all of it before and we'd get through it. I just felt like, ultimately, I knew more about psychology than he did. He basically had a Masters' in counselling, and had a few techniques that he wanted to apply to everyone.

I think the best therapists/psychologists are always talking to people, always reading up on the subject. They ideally would be flexible enough to realize that each patient is an individual, and that some benefit more from simple empathy, some from talking out their problems with no judgment, some from digging deeper into their pasts, some from practical solutions. No patient is the same.

I do think you'd make a good therapist, Synarch--you seem to be mature and care about people. With some ENTPs, I'd be worried that the patient would become sort of a science project for the therapist, but I don't think that would be a temptation with you.
    Something Witty

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I don't know if you would have this problem, Synarch, but I've imagined myself as a therapist, and it was pretty funny. I would advocate the impractical every time, because it's doing what they can't help do which screws people's lives up. For example, I would tell someone "You and your wife are just a bad match, and you'll never get along, so it's pointless to try. I don't know what you're going to do about your kids, that's your business."

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Tallulah, why did you go to a male therapist, just wondering...
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Maybe it is dominated by F's because it is less of a challenge for F's to deploy feeling. How do you measure the success of a therapeutic intervention?
    I'm in nursing school.
    We use observable behaviors, scales, and patient reports. Need to reach certain goals within certain time frames.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    If someone wants to get me to see something or figure out something or anything a therapist might want to do, I as a T am more likely to be related to and able to benefit from, a logical approach.

Maybe if a therapist is trying to get someone to access some repressed childhood trauma, an F would be most effective for a T.
    Would not the fact that you are seeking therapy bely the fact that some problems do not have logical solutions? As T's we sometimes have to accept the limits of logic in confronting the questions of life.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    No, I go to therapy with the intent to vent, and to open up my feelings, (and believe it or not, this is quite difficult for me to do), and when I find a therapist I can trust enough to express my innermost fears and fucked-upness, that alone helps me a lot. Therapy, (as in going to see an actual therapist), for me, has always been about opening up and dealing with the problems that arise when I open up.

Yeah, you wouldn't want to suddenly lose interest in a patient, :ouch:
    1. I don't like when you refer to inner fucked-upness. *stern*
    2. Yes, I am loathe to commit myself, but once I do commit to someone I will not let them down.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I think the best therapists/psychologists are always talking to people, always reading up on the subject. They ideally would be flexible enough to realize that each patient is an individual, and that some benefit more from simple empathy, some from talking out their problems with no judgment, some from digging deeper into their pasts, some from practical solutions. No patient is the same.

I do think you'd make a good therapist, Synarch--you seem to be mature and care about people. With some ENTPs, I'd be worried that the patient would become sort of a science project for the therapist, but I don't think that would be a temptation with you.
    Beautiful points! And your compliment is very sweet. Thank you.

I would honestly have to be mindful of my own motives at times.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I don't know if you would have this problem, Synarch, but I've imagined myself as a therapist, and it was pretty funny. I would advocate the impractical every time, because it's doing what they can't help do which screws people's lives up. For example, I would tell someone "You and your wife are just a bad match, and you'll never get along, so it's pointless to try. I don't know what you're going to do about your kids, that's your business."
    Jack Flak, I think that attitude is exactly what people need. To upturn the tables, so to speak. By definition, what they are doing is not working. That is a very perceptive attitude, on your part.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Jack Flak, I think that attitude is exactly what people need. To upturn the tables, so to speak. By definition, what they are doing is not working. That is a very perceptive attitude, on your part.
    Thanks. If I have a strength, that's it.