User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: ENTP Therapist?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

i have a friend who is an ENTP and he would be a phenomenal therapist if he was interested in it
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    I have been to *many* therapists, as well as psychiatrists.

And the *only* therapists who I have ever had *any* success with whatsoever, have been Fs..

But, I have WORKED my T therapists/psychotherapists/psychiatrists, deeming them unable to understand me and my problems, and hence incompetent, then fucking with them for a bit to then move on.
    Not surprising. I could see this happening.

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    Umm...

EDIT. I wouldn't want an ENTP therapist, I don't know if they could put their ego aside sufficiently or if they would be empathic enough. Also, what happens when they get bored with you and/or the job?
    and the selective/dismissive "listening"
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    psyche, along with sociology, is one of the majors that i lack one semester in getting. it's the easiest topic i've ever studied and get As without even trying, which i attribute to my studying it for fun (both by books and real life experience) since i was a child before even taking the classes. i enjoy it for many reasons. the puzzles, the helping, the actual encouragement to be objective, everything.

just because i don't go around giving advice on these forums does NOT mean that i don't enjoy that type of thing. it's that i can't stand giving unsolicited advice. that's the big difference. however, even here and at INTPc, i've given plenty of it when asked, even many times talking people through their problems over AIM and yahoo. i just don't advertise that i'm like that.
    God forbid we see anything but biting sarcasm from you.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by pippi View Post
    Nah, I just tune out, imagine myself strangling them, and wait for them to wind down so there can be a rational discussion.

In the interest of equality, with out of control Te I do much the same thing, but I imagine slapping them instead of strangling.
    Always with the slapping and strangulation from you. I detect a pattern.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I think the best therapists tend to be fairly balanced when it comes to T/F, with the profession moderately favoring F characteristics.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    I've been to six therapists when I was having bad anxiety for a few years. Only one who worked for me was a T, I think. He had logical solutions to my problems that I still use every day. And my anxiety is under control, now. I couldn't stand just sitting in those offices with fuzzy-wuzzy F's talking about my problems. I talk about my problems all day to my friends. I need soulutions damnit not more reflection!!!

So yea, I think it could work.
    Maybe F dominants benefit from T dominants and vice versa?

I have had three therapists who have actually helped me a lot, all Fs, and incredibly empathetic, I could not hide my problems with them, nor did I want to, they felt me and where I was coming from, they listened, truly listened, and helped.
    Maybe you benefit more from empathy than solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    In the end, what makes a good therapist is interest. They care about the lives of their patients and they try their best to help. The rest is simply a matter of experience. And interest provides the drive to obtain the experience... to look beyond the surface.

The question shouldn't be about whether Ts will make a good therapist. The question should have been on how interested you are in becoming one. Why do you want to be one and how much effort are you willing to put in to succeed.
    Your point is well-taken. All success requires sufficient interest, which I would call passion.

I do worry that I would lose interest, as I do with most things, however I do feel this need to be impactful and this manifests wherever I work, whether that be in helping clients make money or in helping people triumph in their own lives.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    I'm an attorney right now and am applying to psych grad school for next year. Probably a phd in clinical psych. Also, I'm probably ENTPish.

I think it would make a great career for someone who is ENTP, for the reasons digest stated: solving problems, mapping circumstances, mapping psychic "forces" or patterns, helping others, being objective, and being creative in problem solving (probably my favorite part). The major differences, imo, between law and psychology are:

* law have fewer opportunities to experience beauty
    * litigation in inherently adversarial, which is fun, but imo doesn't promote well being; so, while you are helping YOUR CLIENT, you are doing it at someone else's expense
    * transactional work (drawing up agreements) can be boring
    * law can be very tedious; procedure plays a major major rule, more than justice
    * law will pay better, but your quality of life will suffer
    * with psychology, you have more opportunity to study yourself and the nature of people; with law, you are studying situations and frameworks
    * there is less opportunity for connection in law
    Very nice. I would like to hear what you do.

For what it is worth, I do think that Synarch and Edahn could easily make great therapists.

And I don't say that to kiss ass, I say that because I mean it.
    You never kiss ass, so I know you mean it.

I do think that the field of therapy is dominated by Fs and for good reason.

Although, in the same breath I would say that there are plenty of Ts who would also make both lovely and effective therapists.
    Maybe it is dominated by F's because it is less of a challenge for F's to deploy feeling. How do you measure the success of a therapeutic intervention?

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I think the best therapists tend to be fairly balanced when it comes to T/F, with the profession moderately favoring F characteristics.
    hmm. if it's true that most likely a T would prefer a T, and an F would prefer an F, then maybe (IF what you say is true) it favors Fs because more Fs would go to therapy.

(note that i didn't say "need" it, i said, "would go".)
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

MBTI
    xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Always with the slapping and strangulation from you. I detect a pattern.
    Perhaps I need therapy for that Freud.

/end thread derail

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    hmm. if it's true that most likely a T would prefer a T, and an F would prefer an F, then maybe (IF what you say is true) it favors Fs because more Fs would go to therapy.

(note that i didn't say "need" it, i said, "would go".)
    Hey that's probably true. I'd like to see stats saying how much Ts compared to Fs seek therapy.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by pippi View Post
    Perhaps I need therapy for that Freud.

/end thread derail
    You need something, but I don't generally refer to it as 'therapy'.