User Tag List

First 789101119 Last

Results 81 to 90 of 505

Thread: NTs and God

  1. #81
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Well gosh, thank goodness you stumbled upon the only religion on earth that both promises to transform people's lives for the better and has adherents who will confirm it!
    I never said it's the only religion that works. I only said that it works.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  2. #82
    The elder Holmes Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp
    Posts
    1,080

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I never said it's the only religion that works. I only said that it works.
    You caught me mid-edit.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

    -- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

  3. #83
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    How good something makes you feel, how much it helps you to improve your life - has absolutely no bearing on whether or not it is true.
    This is essentially why I (and most people) believe in science. It works and it's improved my quality of life. In fact whether or not something works is the most objective type of proof. Anything else is simply an attempt to elaborate on why something works.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  4. #84
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    This is essentially why I (and most people) believe in science. It works and it's improved my quality of life. In fact whether or not something works is the most objective type of proof. Anything else is simply an attempt to elaborate on why something works.
    yeah, the bible's vision of the world, cosmology, geology and so on obviously works.
    Especially when u know it's supposed to be written by the dude who created all of the forementionned things

    i'll go for the weak minded theme

    I know ppl usually go all 'i understand and respect religion' but as said previously in this post (i think) I dont.

    Respect isn't something a group, or a person is entitled to.
    It's about deserving, and I dont have much respect for those pathetic memes.

    ps: u dont BELIEVE in science, u see it works, and then if something doesnt fit, u correct it, in a quest to get closer and closer to a 1:1 interpretation of the universe. Using this approach in religion, u'd probably be left with 'take a deep breath and relax' as a way of life. (no i dont think the killings of the bible would 'work' in modern days)
    pss: no, trying to understand how things work is not BAD it's the reason why most of the things u have now DO work, but yeah, thank for reminding us that religions teach ppl not to think. Yeah, i can quote christian thinkers here.
    But hey, I always enjoy the zelot jargon.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  5. #85
    Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    yeah, the bible's vision of the world, cosmology, geology and so on obviously works.
    Especially when u know it's supposed to be written by the dude who created all of the forementionned things
    Well I'm glad you agree it works. Although worldview itself is for the most part subjective. The test is in the actual results of a worldview.

    ps: u dont BELIEVE in science, u see it works, and then if something doesnt fit, u correct it, in a quest to get closer and closer to a 1:1 interpretation of the universe. Using this approach in religion, u'd probably be left with 'take a deep breath and relax' as a way of life. (no i dont think the killings of the bible would 'work' in modern days)
    But I actually do believe in science. I trust that it will continue to make discoveries that lead to new and useful technologies. I don't merely believe what it says, but I also believe in it as a process.
    pss: no, trying to understand how things work is not BAD it's the reason why most of the things u have now DO work, but yeah, thank for reminding us that religions teach ppl not to think. Yeah, i can quote christian thinkers here.
    But hey, I always enjoy the zelot jargon.
    Is this in response to something that I've said specifically?
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

  6. #86
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Well I'm glad you agree it works. Although worldview itself is for the most part subjective. The test is in the actual results of a worldview.
    it was being ironic. "hey ppl, the earth is flat, also, the sun turns around the earth and earth is a few thousands years old'

    wow, just wow

    Is this in response to something that I've said specifically?
    look, i love life and so on, i'm not attacking u, I just say that ur kinda like a guy who heard a guy tell him he heard that unicorns existed.

    Well, unicorns are cool. Read the bible, ur god is killer of his own children.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  7. #87
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    it was being ironic. "hey ppl, the earth is flat, also, the sun turns around the earth and earth is a few thousands years old' ow, just wow
    This is where you show your own ignorance of Christianity and scripture.

    Only the religious and atheist fundamentalists read the Bible that way -- picking and choosing verses out of the context of the surrounding passages, and reading them as literal comments on science. That's a pretty narrow way to read scripture.

    I also know Laser, and he's not what you accuse him of, if you've read many of his posts. He's quite more complicated than you're making him out to be here, by just lumping him sloppily in with your particular view of religious believers.

    look, i love life and so on, i'm not attacking u, I just say that ur kinda like a guy who heard a guy tell him he heard that unicorns existed. Well, unicorns are cool. Read the bible, ur god is killer of his own children.
    Again.

    Your readings are pretty simplistic, regardless of your ultimate stance.

    And yeah, it's sort of an attack, since it's sort of a slur on his intelligence. Just like if I'd say, "Yeah, you're a lot like the nutjobs I disagree with, you know, the loopy crazy ones who can't think straight." Wouldn't you be annoyed to be categorized like that?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  8. #88
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    This is where you show your own ignorance of Christianity and scripture.

    Only the religious and atheist fundamentalists read the Bible that way -- picking and choosing verses out of the context of the surrounding passages, and reading them as literal comments on science. That's a pretty narrow way to read scripture.

    I also know Laser, and he's not what you accuse him of, if you've read many of his posts. He's quite more complicated than you're making him out to be here, by just lumping him sloppily in with your particular view of religious believers.



    Again.

    Your readings are pretty simplistic, regardless of your ultimate stance.
    yeah, and i like the way ur not stating anything relevant.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  9. #89
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    yeah, and i like the way ur not stating anything relevant.
    *rofl*

    If you really want to tangle with me on religion, get a new thread... or better yet, just read all the other posts I've made on the topic here or on INTPc over the last two years, since they go into far more detail.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  10. #90
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    *rofl*

    If you really want to tangle with me on religion, get a new thread... or better yet, just read all the other posts I've made on the topic here or on INTPc over the last two years, since they go into far more detail.
    well, we live in the here and now, so going all 'my status on some forum is so much higher than urs' isn't really the absolute argument to me.

    Look, i dont want to fight or something, but the FACT is, the bible doesn't make ANY sense, and what ppl call 'reading things wrong' is basically an ever more overly twisted interpretation of a text, yet, somehow a direct read is the wrong one.

    I'm sure that elements that by some chance seem to agree with actual facts (like, in the real world u know), would be interpreted 'as they are'.

    Religions are laughable things, made for weak people.
    I endured the whole 'i understand how u feel thing', but the fact that's there's always someone like you rushing in to save the 'poor christian with no solid argument what so ever', just proves how much of a mind plague this thing is.

    laugh and convince urself i'm just another prick.

    I dont give a fuck. Our interpretation of the world still keeps proving, everyday, that yet another 'religious' thing, has rational, scientific explanations. And yet again, zelots will tell that the next thing is god, that religion isn't to be judged by the sciences of the physical world while, god seems to (in the bible) have directs effects on this world (and therefore be a subject of study for science) .

    the list goes on.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

Similar Threads

  1. [NT] NTs and time
    By Natrushka in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-25-2010, 02:56 PM
  2. [NT] NTs and controlling thoughts
    By Varelse in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-08-2007, 02:10 PM
  3. [NT] Berens' comments on NTs and conflict
    By rivercrow in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-13-2007, 05:05 PM
  4. [NT] NTs and Concentration
    By Varelse in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-23-2007, 01:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO