User Tag List

First 67891018 Last

Thread: NTs and God

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by KLessard View Post
    What do NTs think of God, and how do they relate to Him ?
    Three Christian-culture NTs I know admit either indifference or little understanding of what they call "religion."

Is it possible for an NT to be interested in God ?
    Well a NT is naturally inquisitive about the nature of the universe, so invariably they are always interested in how the concept of "GOD" fits into their particular schema. Personally I've been down that avenue, and currently don't necessarily believe in a personified autocratic religion, but instead view my own life, and own creation of meaning as an exercise in spirituality.

Science, truth, and evolution can all be (and are from my viewpoint) correct, but I'm still always using my own personal perceptions to determine their meaning within my world. It is in this construction of meaning that I believe spiritually to reside, as I can't help but feel an overwhelming sense of wonder everytime I gaze upon the open sea, or a power station. One can be spiritual without necessarily being religious, it's simply a matter of looking closer at what is around us in everyday life, and stopping to think about the scale, age, and uniqueness of it all.

God may or may not exist, but it doesn't mean I can't see spiritual wonder in everything.
    Good Dog Nigel

Arf, arf, he goes, a merry sight,
    Our little hairy friend,
    Arf, arf, upon the lampost bright
    Arfing round the bend.
    Nice dog! Goo boy,
    Waggie tail and beg,
    Clever Nigel, jump for joy
    Because we're putting you to sleep at three of the clock, Nigel. -John Lennon

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Three Christian-culture NTs I know admit either indifference or little understanding of what they call "religion."

I consider myself to be a fairly religious NT, although I used to be atheist. Of the religious NT's I've encountered I think what is common is that they don't "ride the fence" or believe half-heartedly. An NT is not going to attend religious services simply because that is what they've done their whole life. Instead it is important for them to work out the ideas of their faith to a greater degree than other types.

In contrast SJ's might attend religious services their whole life simply for the sake of tradition. They might not have much faith in God while doing so. An NT is going to have want to have more well defined beliefs and have their behaviour follow naturally from those beliefs.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    In contrast SJ's might attend religious services their whole life simply for the sake of tradition. They might not have much faith in God while doing so. An NT is going to have want to have more well defined beliefs and have their behaviour follow naturally from those beliefs.
    Don't know if it's just me, but whenever I see an SJ talk about God it seems to me as if they are spilling NF all over the place.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by LostInNerSpace View Post
    Don't know if it's just me, but whenever I see an SJ talk about God it seems to me as if they are spilling NF all over the place.
    I think it depends on who you talk to. There are a fair amount of SJ's who don't really see much distinction between faith and tradition. I have also encountered other SJ's though that value tradition, but understand that it is something entirely different from faith.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

I consider myself to be a fairly religious NT, although I used to be atheist.
    ...then you caught an untreatable case of middleageitis, causing you to believe that justifying whatever fairy-tales made you feel most comfortable as you stared down the barrel of the Decline was preferable to the alternative objectivity alone would have you face.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

Possible but unlikely.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    ...then you caught an untreatable case of middleageitis, causing you to believe that justifying whatever fairy-tales made you feel most comfortable as you stared down the barrel of the Decline was preferable to the alternative objectivity alone would have you face.
    Heh, well I wouldn't put it like that. I'd say I believe the Bible because it proved to me that it is true. It says that if I believe in Jesus I'll be transformed and that is exactly what happened. It's message actually works, so that makes it hard not to believe.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

you might as well believe in drugs then.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    you might as well believe in drugs then.
    Drugs are a staple of modern medicine. They obviously work too.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Heh, well I wouldn't put it like that. I'd say I believe the Bible because it proved to me that it is true. It says that if I believe in Jesus I'll be transformed and that is exactly what happened. It's message actually works, so that makes it hard not to believe.
    Well gosh, thank goodness you stumbled upon the only religion on earth that both promises to transform people's lives for the better and has adherents who will confirm it!

Well, it's settled. God clearly exists! The only other alternative is that you're simply weak-willed and needed a social and psychological support network to help you pull your own shit together... but that's just crazy-talk!

I realize, of course, that you're just going to point out that other religions can be regarded as "working" as well and that you simply chose the Christian variety, so I'll point out the obvious fact:

How good something makes you feel, how much it helps you to improve your life - has absolutely no bearing on whether or not it is true.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --