User Tag List

First 384647484950 Last

Thread: NTs and God

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    Governor Blagojovich says, "If you can't prove it, it didn't happen." See how good that works?
    My point with this post is that the position of "You can't prove that." isn't a statement of accuracy as much as it is a means of trying to stay in power in the situation.

And sometimes. Some people. "Know," even if they can't prove it, as Gov. Blagojovich found out today.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Content. Content? DigitalMethod's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ

My point with this post is that the position of "You can't prove that." isn't a statement of accuracy as much as it is a means of trying to stay in power in the situation.

And sometimes. Some people. "Know," even if they can't prove it, as Gov. Blagojovich found out today.
    Stay in power of what?
    "The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful."
    - Albert Einstein

MBTI
    INFP

Of the argument.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    And honestly, how could we ever think we COULD know everything? The most gaping weakness: We don't know what we don't know. Therefore how would we recognize there's something that we don't know, if we don't know it?
    I find the notion of "degrees of truth" to be rather anthropocentric; that something can only be "true" to the extent that mankind deems it such.

In all things, there is the truth of the matter. Man does what he can to approach the truth. He may or may not ever discover it. Yet, the truth of the matter exists and is independent of man's investigations.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

MBTI
    INTJ

Of the argument.
    I didn't know one was going on.
    But I don't see what the gain is of being in control of that.

I think the argument of the existence of god is pointless.
    It's natural, but pointless.
    "The life of the individual has meaning only insofar as it aids in making the life of every living thing nobler and more beautiful."
    - Albert Einstein

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalMethod View Post
    I think the argument of the existence of god is pointless.
    It's natural, but pointless.
    Nearly pointless, but not entirely. There are always those few who value ration enough to rethink their beliefs when their premises or logic are shown to be faulty.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Nearly pointless, but not entirely. There are always those few who value ration enough to rethink their beliefs when their premises or logic are shown to be faulty.
    Plus, I enjoy it. Perhaps eventually I'll tire of it, but as of right now, it's still enjoyable.

I find the notion of "degrees of truth" to be rather anthropocentric; that something can only be "true" to the extent that mankind deems it such.

In all things, there is the truth of the matter. Man does what he can to approach the truth. He may or may not ever discover it. Yet, the truth of the matter exists and is independent of man's investigations.
    Yup. That's true. Except, how do you know it's true? You can't. Except theoretically you can, and theoretically you can't. Paradoxical.

It often is, but in this case, people were pointing out technicalities. Technicalities with no practical benefit, but hey, since when did that ever matter when technicalities are called out?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    Yup. That's true. Except, how do you know it's true? You can't. Except theoretically you can, and theoretically you can't. Paradoxical.
    Well, even if we are plugged into a "Matrix" and everything we believe to be true is false, the truth of that matter would still exist.

We would simply be extremely unlikely ever to discover it.

MBTI
    INTJ

To prove a religion is faulty... well that rarely happens. They operate on faith. You can never tell someone what they feel is incorrect. Only that they have no proof. And this just continues.

Until there is actual proof on either side, consider me agnostic with an interest in philosophy.
    - Albert Einstein

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalMethod View Post
    To prove a religion is faulty... well that rarely happens. They operate on faith. You can never tell someone what they feel is incorrect. Only that they have no proof. And this just continues.
    You're absolutely correct, and I make no effort to engage the "faith" crowd. It's the people who claim that their religious beliefs have some basis in ration that I consider it (occasionally) worthwhile to discuss with.

If, through the course of discussion, it comes to light that his premises or logic are flawed, the genuinely rational man (or woman) will rethink his beliefs. Similarly, if there is someone out there with compelling evidence in support of a deity, I and all others like me would be very much interested in seeing it.