User Tag List

First 15232425262735 Last

Thread: NTs and God

MBTI
    INTJ

I read maybe the first two pages of the thread. Sorry, don't have time for the rest. Here are my direct answers to the OP's questions.

What do NTs think of God?
    He is absolutely amazing, perfect, and unfailing in his love, grace, and mercy.

How do they relate to Him ?
    I can't relate God because He is perfect and I am not. I can and do, however, love Him to the best of my ability more and more everyday.

Three Christian-culture NTs I know admit either indifference or little understanding of what they call "religion."
    When I was younger, I had a really tough time grasping the concept. I accepted Christ, but I didn't know Him. It wasn't until I actually entered a relationship with Him a year or two ago that I understood. Religion is ridiculous and corrupt. It's all about the relationship.

Is it possible for an NT to be interested in God ?
    Yes, I'm not only interested, I'm completely in love with Him.
    There are two types of people in this world, sheep and sharks. Be a shark. Sharks are winners and they don't look back 'cause they don't have necks. Necks are for sheep.

Headstrong: You're learning the ways of...me!
    INTP Friend: Yay!
    INTP Friend: Wait....NOOOOO

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who do not have it.
    -George Bernard Shaw

Wise men talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
    -Plato

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx

I do believe there is some kind of "higher power," albeit one probably much unlike the idea of God that Christianity has painted for us. My view of the topic is a bit cheap actually--for example, if the origin of the universe was proven tomorrow with 100% certainty to be of simple scientific causes, then my "God" would be science/physics. In other words, whatever it is that's responsible for this whole thing, be it scientific or something more, is what I consider to be a "higher power."

So basically I'm just an odd little agnostic, I suppose.
    MBTI: ENFJ | Enneagram: 4w5

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilen View Post
    Where the hell is a 'Hell' situated on a map ?
    Norway
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    It depends mostly on upbringing and what assumptions about the world are instilled into a person during childhood, as best I can tell.

NTs definitely have a bent towards challenging religion on intellectual grounds (rather than just purely out of rebellion). They seem less inclined to accept something just because everyone else is doing it, if they think it doesn't make sense in terms of being "provable."
    If it was dependent mostly on upbringing there would be a lot more people going to church every Sunday.

I definitely don't think challenging religion on intellectual grounds is that rare outside of NT. I mean, I have yet to see anyone saying they don't consider themselves religious simply because they didn't like their parents imposing their beliefs or because they thought church was boring.

Junior Member Magia Erebea User's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4W5

Personally I believe there is a God, the Judaic-Christian God to be exact. Do I care to go further into it then that? Not right now. But yes, I believe in God.

As for the question if I can relate to him - While I do have a bit of God-Complex I can't really say either way.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Given the way the religious community goes nuts over any vaguely-qualified talking head who will concede that the story of Noah's Ark is maybe not completely impossible, if scientifically verifiable evidence indicating the existence of a deity had come to light, I should think its existence would have been highly publicized, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, as is always my policy:

If you can post a link to a study verifying the existence of this evidence and if this evidence is indeed scientifically valid (i.e. verifiable and repeatable), you have my sincere word that I will take it into the utmost consideration.
    Thanks for the dialogue Mycroft. I enjoyed the exchange, and I enjoyed the opportunity to think about how I think about things more carefully.

I take you at your word. And to do my best not to disappoint, I'll try to find something good. BTW, I found your blog (On: the error inherent to introverted judging functions) very interesting. Your writing style strikes me as very similar to G. K. Chesterton's.
    Last edited by Erudur; 01-06-2009 at 05:33 PM.

Aspiring Troens Ridder KLessard's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Headstrong View Post
    I read maybe the first two pages of the thread. Sorry, don't have time for the rest. Here are my direct answers to the OP's questions.

What do NTs think of God?
    He is absolutely amazing, perfect, and unfailing in his love, grace, and mercy.

How do they relate to Him ?
    I can't relate God because He is perfect and I am not. I can and do, however, love Him to the best of my ability more and more everyday.

Three Christian-culture NTs I know admit either indifference or little understanding of what they call "religion."
    When I was younger, I had a really tough time grasping the concept. I accepted Christ, but I didn't know Him. It wasn't until I actually entered a relationship with Him a year or two ago that I understood. Religion is ridiculous and corrupt. It's all about the relationship.

Is it possible for an NT to be interested in God ?
    Yes, I'm not only interested, I'm completely in love with Him.
    Thanks brother.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by KLessard View Post
    Thanks brother.
    That's sister to you.
    There are two types of people in this world, sheep and sharks. Be a shark. Sharks are winners and they don't look back 'cause they don't have necks. Necks are for sheep.

Headstrong: You're learning the ways of...me!
    INTP Friend: Yay!
    INTP Friend: Wait....NOOOOO

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who do not have it.
    -George Bernard Shaw

Wise men talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
    -Plato

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    In line with my point. EVERYBODY knows unicorns don't exist.
    Maybe on second thought, not...
    'Unicorn' Deer Found in Italy : Discovery News : Discovery Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Originally Posted by Anja
    How many people write volumes about why unicorns don't exist? Read volumes to support their argument? Post volumes to prove it to others? Get testy about it?

If wars were being fought over which version of unicorns to believe in and people were flying airplanes into buildings in the name of unicorns, you can bet there would be a good number of books on the subject.
    This is a valid point, but then it also suggests that the opposition to God might not be as objective as the disbelief in unicorns. Just like people have subjectively used God for bad purposes; people in reaction then don't want him to exist, and thus will bend the evidence against him.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    This is a valid point, but then it also suggests that the opposition to God might not be as objective as the disbelief in unicorns. Just like people have subjectively used God for bad purposes; people in reaction then don't want him to exist, and thus will bend the evidence against him.
    Yes, I tend not to lump notions of "God" in the same category as unicorns, that seems a bit sloppy intellectually. There's enough evidence and reason to entertain the possibility of deity, since the answer of origin is still ambiguous and highly relevant to life; meanwhile, there's not even real ambiguity about whether unicorns existed en masse, nor would it ever matter to in terms of the human race developing into what it is now.

My questions, skimming through this:
    - What does it mean, practically speaking, to be "in a relationship with God?"
    - What does it mean, practically speaking, to be "in love with God?"

Those are highly anthropomorphic terms that are thrown around as if they have relevance, but they don't really say anything concrete or definable. They also are fairly "new" on the event horizon of religion, which leads them to seem more like a filter for westernized culture, rather than any sort of universal standard that would have been relevant for every human being who has existed.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft