User Tag List

First 3111213141523 Last

Results 121 to 130 of 505

Thread: NTs and God

  1. #121
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    God is a spirit, eternal, infinite, and unchanging in being, wisdom, power, justice, goodness, holiness, and truth.

    God is a higher power relative to me. God is the highest power relative to all. God is eternal; were he not, he would be created, and his creator would be higher than him. God is the only eternal; were there more than one, or if all were eternal, he would not be highest. Because not all is eternal, at least some is temporal, and that which is temporal was brought into being by God. Therefore, God is the eternal creator.

    The nature of a being is revealed by what a being does. God creates and rules in his creation; thus, to understand the natures of things created is to understand the nature of God. Man as a rational animal created in the image of God is to use his reason to make distinctions between things in order to understand and name the creation in order to make known the glory of God revealed in the creation.

    No thing is more interesting than God.

  2. #122
    desert pelican Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    717

    Default


  3. #123
    Member the soulless one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram
    6
    Socionics
    SEE
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Greed's first post fits my view. The only appeal religion has for me is the spiritual aspects that can help me develop wisdom and virtue. I used to be a practicing Christian though even then I disagreed with most mainstream perspectives.

    Now I think there is more of a chance of God existing than not. I want to be more spiritual again but I've known the scariness of religion so going back there would be a solitary pursuit.

    I was never fond of the ritualistic aspects of religion as I consider that to be primitive, but I guess it has its purpose. I still go to church with my mother and I'm trying to read scriptures again (I used to read them for different religions just to compare and contrast themes and noticed a lot of resemblances). I was very spiritual and very committed to my faith, however, and I might be like that again...well, I hope.

    Religion is mostly something that can only be reasoned philosophically, imo. Nonetheless, it has its good and bad effects.

  4. #124
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Erudur View Post
    Wow. It gets even better. Eck misuses the term "ad hominem attack" (unless he feels "non-believer" is pejorative) while launching his own ad hominem attack with terms like "freaky love" and "control."

    As an INTJ, I love the irony.
    Too bad the believing sheeps can't purchase brains on ebay. (yes, 'RLY')
    I'm tired of this non sense.

    And yes, the ad hominem thing was a private joke.

    Thanks for reminding my dog is actually smarter than you are. The studies about believers' average IQ were right... This is really sad.

    have a nice day
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  5. #125
    Senior Member Tayshaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Too bad the believing sheeps can't purchase brains on ebay. (yes, 'RLY')
    I'm tired of this non sense.

    Thanks for reminding my dog is actually smarter than you are. The studies about believers' average IQ were right... This is really sad.

    have a nice day
    As an atheist, I get angry when a theist is being proselytizing with me.

    If I were a believer, I might be upset if an a non-believer was being patronizing with me.

    Why not show you can be wise without the need of a religion - elevate over the arena of pesky insults - and avoid resorting to uninspired statements?

  6. #126
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tayshaun View Post
    As an atheist, I get angry when a theist is being proselytizing with me.

    If I were a believer, I might be upset if an a non-believer was being patronizing with me.

    Why not show you can be wise without the need of a religion - elevate over the arena of pesky insults - and avoid resorting to uninspired statements?
    Yes, a thousand times yes. But here's the issue : the religious people just end up saying some non sense and stating it as a fact or saying that whatever science and empiricism has taught us doesnt apply because their Magic Invisible Unicorn is just too cool for school. Whatever good argument you give will be 'refuted' by some non sense and (how you will go to hell if you're lucky)

    After years, I just don't see any reason to respect people that seem to think they are important enough to be some improbable god's special toys.

    I know not all 'believers' are like that, but associating with the rest just makes them as bad.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  7. #127
    Senior Member Tayshaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    I agree, but the religious people just end up saying some non sense and stating it as a fact or saying that whatever science and empiricism has taught us doesnt apply because their Magic Invisible Unicorn is just too cool for school.
    I know what you are talking about. I've met A LOT of those.

    It is impossible to have an intelligent conversation about so many topics with them. They lose some self-reliance and some of the capacity to think for themselves.

    Those - the ones cannot think for themselves - deserve to be called sheep to some extent.

    Faith and dogmaticism are two different things however, and associating them is a mistake. A Deist for example does not believe in revelation, but believes in God. Many great philosophers, scientists and writers have faith without being dogmatic about 'holy scripture' (Intelligent Design, etc.).

  8. #128
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tayshaun View Post
    I know what you are talking about. I've met A LOT of those.

    It is impossible to have an intelligent conversation about so many topics with them. They lose some self-reliance and some of the capacity to think for themselves.

    Those - the ones cannot think for themselves - deserve to be called sheep to some extent.

    Faith and dogmaticism are two different things however, and associating them is a mistake. A Deist for example does not believe in revelation, but believes in God. Many great philosophers, scientists and writers have faith without being dogmatic about 'holy scripture' (Intelligent Design, etc.).
    I agree to a certain extent. But I still think people are just too forgiving towards religion.
    About great philosophers and so on, let's pick a famous example, Descartes.
    The man tried so hard to include religion in his theories that the forementioned theories just didn't make any sense at all. One of the main reason descartes is still remembered as a philospher and not a mathematician is probably because he shares the same absurd 'intuitions' with the common people.
    When you say intelligent design do you mean they are not being dogmatic ?
    I could pretty much discard any argument given by the 'intelligent design' "scientists". And I'm no physicist nor a biologist.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  9. #129
    Senior Member Tayshaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    172

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    When you say intelligent design do you mean they are not being dogmatic ?
    I could pretty much discard any argument given by the 'intelligent design' "scientists".
    I am saying they are dogmatic and unscientific and incapable of objective empirical research.

  10. #130
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tayshaun View Post
    I am saying they are dogmatic and unscientific and incapable of objective empirical research.
    My bad, wasn't sure about the interpretation. (Or maybe I just wanted you to repeat and underline it : P )

    Anyway, thanks for reminding me an argument should be neutral. The fact that the other side isn't shouldn't be an excuse for me to become overly sided.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

Similar Threads

  1. [NT] NTs and time
    By Natrushka in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-25-2010, 02:56 PM
  2. [NT] NTs and controlling thoughts
    By Varelse in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-08-2007, 02:10 PM
  3. [NT] Berens' comments on NTs and conflict
    By rivercrow in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-13-2007, 05:05 PM
  4. [NT] NTs and Concentration
    By Varelse in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-23-2007, 01:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO