• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] face recognition

R

Riva

i have good memory, but when it comes to recognizing people's faces i have a HUGE issue.I JUST CANT REMEMBER PEOPLE'S FACES. sometimes i can remember what they said when they remind me where i have met them before and who they are but have a problem remembering how they look like(the face i mean)

does anyone else have that issue?

AFTER EDITING

do you think its a left brain right brain issue.

right brained people hardly forget visual images ryt? is it?

Last edited:

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
If they have particularly nondescript features, maybe. But in general, no, I can remember people's faces.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
i have good memory, but when it comes to recognizing people's faces i have a HUGE issue.I JUST CANT REMEMBER PEOPLE'S FACES. sometimes i can remember what they said when they remind me where i have met them before and who they are but have a problem remembering how they look like(the face i mean)

does anyone else have that issue?
I have learned to recognize one of my neighbours. It is strange.
It took eight years. And it was hard work.

Maybe it is not his face I recognize. Maybe it is his bone structure, clothes, way of walking.
Nope. Now that I come to think of it I do not recognize his face at all.
I fooled myself.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Mmm, I have serious trouble remembering names, but I remember faces in great detail.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I remember faces but often not who they are.

Ishida

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'll remember faces, but not names. There is usually no need to anyway.

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I'm actually worse with names, especially last names. I once knew a friend for over a year before I knew her last name. Eventually I had to ask.

G

garbage

Eventually I had to ask.

"Le's compare drivers license pictures! I bet mine's more goofy! Hahaha!" *sneaks peek at last name* :D

I've got a horrible, horrible memory overall, but, like most everyone who's replied here, I remember faces much easier than names or other details. I've developed some systems to help me out in that respect, though.

People definitely pay attention to the sound of their own names, especially after first meeting and initial impressions. If you can remember them, you've just given off a pretty good impression of yourself in their eyes.. that you've taken a genuine interest in them as a person just through remembering their name. That, and most everybody says that they have trouble remembering names (intuitives? :)), so you remembering theirs must be significant to them.

I heard a story once of a woman whose significant other shaved his facial hair while in the bathroom and she absolutely could not recognize him afterward. I guess that's prosopagnosia in a nutshell.

Siegfried

MBTI Type
?
"Le's compare drivers license pictures! I bet mine's more goofy! Hahaha!" *sneaks peek at last name* :D

I've got a horrible, horrible memory overall, but, like most everyone who's replied here, I remember faces much easier than names or other details. I've developed some systems to help me out in that respect, though.

People definitely pay attention to the sound of their own names, especially after first meeting and initial impressions. If you can remember them, you've just given off a pretty good impression of yourself in their eyes.. that you've taken a genuine interest in them as a person just through remembering their name. That, and most everybody says that they have trouble remembering names (intuitives? :)), so you remembering theirs must be significant to them.

I heard a story once of a woman whose significant other shaved his facial hair while in the bathroom and she absolutely could not recognize him afterward. I guess that's prosopagnosia in a nutshell.

It does? I'm actually very good at remembering names, especially of those I like but I thought it'd be too shocking, if I display how good my interpersonal memory is too early, initially look for an outward verification excuse, leave showing genuine interest to later. I hadn't thought about it that way. :D

SoAndSo

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w?
I can remember faces and where and when I met someone in great detail but when it comes to names, I draw a blank. It's like when they introduce themselves, the Charlie Brown teacher takes over the conversation for a split second.

R

Riva

thank you Edahn, but i am sure i don't have Prosopagnosia. .hehe. i happen to be a BRANIAC. a show off too.

oh i didnt mention it, if i am BAD at recognizing faces i am WORST at remembering names...

oh and there is another thing.. i dont remember faces of GIRLS in particular.. especially when they change their hair styles. and when they tie it behind their head.( i still dont have Prosopagnosia)

i am a dude. and i am straight.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Why exactly do you absolutely NOT have prosopagnosia?

It is perhaps the (general) absence of facial hair that makes it difficult for you to remember girls' faces?:whistling:

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I have to make a very conscious effort to enter people's faces into memory. For names I use those silly mnemonic tricks you hear and/or read about.

R

Riva

my gosh, i just proved myself that i do have prosopagnosia. lol

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Mmm, I have serious trouble remembering names, but I remember faces in great detail.
I'm much the same; sometimes names slip by me, especially when making first acquaintance.

Faces, on the other hand, are weirdly indelible in my mind. In person, I can recognize someone years later -- even if I only knew them as a child. Sometimes the deeper instances of perspicacity take time, or even reference, to sort out; the initial sensation is similar to déjà vu.

foodeater

MBTI Type
PINT
I have to see someone many times before I remember their face. I confuse siblings a lot too, until I learn the small things that make them different. I don't remember names unless the person stands out to me, and I don't remember faces unless they have unique features. I see people around that I think I know but I'm not sure, so I pretend I didn't see them and figure they'll come up to me if they notice... and I don't use names very often, just in case I get them wrong.

After I construct an image of them in my mind though they're locked in, I'll remember them for a long time.

MBTI Type
INxJ
I don't even really notice what faces really look like until owner of aforementioned face, says something interesting or insightful. It's like people can't become part of my physical world, until I register them in my mind.