User Tag List

123 Last

Default Are ENTJs manipulative?

Your gut feelings, please. Are ENTJs more manipulative than any other type?

I'm ENTJ (moderately weak E, very strong N) and have been accused of being manipulative a handful of times in my life - but I wasn't consciously trying to manipulate anyone.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

What do you mean by manipulative? Convincing? Yes.

Other types are quite manipulative too. I've been called extremely manipulative.

Define manipulative and I'll probably give a more satisfying answer.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I think being smart is often misconstrued as trying to manipulate. In other words, "I'm so sorry I'm not an idiot and don't let everyone take advantage of me without question!"

But people can be manipulative, so who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by evan View Post
    What do you mean by manipulative? Convincing? Yes.

Other types are quite manipulative too. I've been called extremely manipulative.

Define manipulative and I'll probably give a more satisfying answer.
    I always thought of "manipulative" as having a negative connotation, kind of the ability to get someone to do something s/he will probably regret later which s/he wouldn't normally do without your urging. Essentially controlling others for ulterior motives.

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

I find that all NJs are manipulative to some extent.

The problem is that being manipulative by itself is often given a negative connotation when in fact you can use it for good or evil. For example you might not get a lot of good things done in an organization if you just said you wanted them done. People might get offended and the idea would get squashed before it even got off the ground. On the other hand if you say the right things to the right people and make it seem like they came up with the idea, it might happen before you know it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by theplacesyoullgo View Post
    I always thought of "manipulative" as having a negative connotation, kind of the ability to get someone to do something s/he will probably regret later which s/he wouldn't normally do without your urging. Essentially controlling others for ulterior motives.
    Extroverted judgers in general do this, since they implement their introverted perception.

Sometimes the introverted perception falls in line with what's good for the group, sometimes not.

Fe is just as manipulative as Te, though, if not more.

Extroverted perceivers are manipulative, too, but it would be explained slightly differently.

Again (I feel like I'm always giving this answer), MBTI isn't a very good tool for talking about stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by evan View Post
    Again (I feel like I'm always giving this answer), MBTI isn't a very good tool for talking about stuff like this.
    I get the answer to these types of questions is always going to be that all/most types are X, they just express it in different ways. Was just looking for some general opinions.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Overall, the ENTJs I know are considered by most people to be more manipulative on average than other types.

But that's my perception of other people's perceptions on average; I don't actually feel that way. Plus, I don't know enough ENTJs to make a good statistical sample.

I'm ENTJ (moderately weak E, very strong N) and have been accused of being manipulative a handful of times in my life - but I wasn't consciously trying to manipulate anyone.
    if people accuse you of being manipulative, then you didn't manipulate anyone at all

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

My guess is that ENTJs are, on average, more manipulative than IxTx types and INFPs, about equal with other IxFx types, and less manipulative than ExTP and ExFx types.

All types are manipulative to some degree, of course.