User Tag List

First 12345 Last

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Yeah, personal experience in watching people manipulate people.
    Have you been manipulated/manipulated others yourself though?

I'm asking because I'm thinking that perhaps, the one being manipulated may not always know it, but if that is the case, the observer judges the act.

Is the observer the best judge though, if the persons involved do not think it is manipulation?

I find Fe manipulation more subtle anyway. Te is more of overt control to me.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    Have you been manipulated/manipulated others yourself though?
    Sure, but I'm almost impervious to it now. I decipher intent, as in "what is the goal of saying this?", and if it's a discrete attempt at control, I shut 'em down, big time. I'm not nice in circumstances like that.

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

^ By what could we judge "intent"?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Well, honestly, no, I haven't ever been called manipulative. I can try to be persuasive, if I really think something is beneficial for everyone and I am completely sure that it is a better alternative than something the person is going to do. I think I am not even very good at being persuasive either, because I employ a brute-force approach - I never try to emotionally leverage the situation (which is often the most effective method - but out of my reach).

I can be manipulative with systems, though. If there's a completely legal way to get a tax break, or to get financed in a particularly cheap way, or to get a particular scolarship which is not well-know, or to solve an equation by nonstandard methods, or to do a task in a less time-expensive way, I will employ it. I think that's just efficiently allocating resources, though.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    ^ By what could we judge "intent"?
    By what? History, known inclination, demeanor, undertones, context, the list goes on. Intuition much?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
    ENTJs are not manipulative.

We can be highly persuasive if the need calls for it, but that is a far cry from 'manipulative' and all of the connotations attached.
    Add "doggedly persistent" to the above and it describes the ENTJs I've known quite well.

To be honest, I'm probably more manipulative, but I'm far less determined.

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    By what? History, known inclination, demeanor, undertones, context, the list goes on. Intuition much?
    Those are subjective measures mainly, which is what I was driving at - ergo it could appear manipulative to you, but to the person exercising it, it may not have been that way at all, just sayin'... That which we call integrity refers to our own, but what of the person being true to himself, even if it appears manipulative to others... who's the best judge of what is manipulation anyway...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I've never been called manipulative, though I think I could be if I tried. I see manipulation as dealing more with emotions than logic. If you can convince someone of something, logically, is that manipulation? That doesn't seem to be what most people are referring to when they talk about manipulation. What if you convince someone of something through appeals to emotion? That sounds a lot more like the popular definition of manipulation to me.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

the ones i know are everything but manipulative.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

MBTI
    ENTP

ENTJ are too obvious to be successfully manipulative. Their agendas are too open.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."