• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJ on I'm a celebrity

ed111

MBTI Type
INTJ
Anyone who's watching the UK show I'm a celebrity get me out of here, will know that one of the contestants is Martina Navratilova (who is an INTJ).

It's been quite interesting for me to watch how's she's behaving within the group. I feel that it mirrors my own behaviour in such a situation.

To begin with she stayed in the background, was polite to everyone and generally observed the other contestants.

However, now she appears to have been manipulated into becoming confrontational with one of the other celebrities. She seems to feel that one of the other camp members has behaved badly and that resources (i.e. sleeping on the bus) have been acquired unjustly. She is getting herself so angry that now she feels she has no alternative but to have an argument.

Other group members have commented how they wouldn't like to be on the wrong side of her.

However, the issue was not of her making, but it looks like she's the one that is going to deal with it.

I couldn't help thinking that I've been in this exact situation before and haven't realised it until it's too late.

So, my question to other INTJs is, have you ever been manipulated into taking on a cause? Are you aware of this kind of manipulation, if so, how do you deal with it? Which types do you think are best at manipulating us? And for anyone else watching the show, have you managed to type any of the other contestants?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I get the gist of what you're saying but I don't understand how she was manipulated into it exactly.
In what way was she manipulated.
Are you saying everyone else neglected to confront the issue?
Did they know she would step in if they didn't?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I know I have taken on a cause before when others would not, but I am not sure I have ever felt manipulated to do so.
I am quite sensitive to manipulation by others, and I despise it when others try to manipulate me.

ed111

MBTI Type
INTJ
I get the gist of what you're saying but I don't understand how she was manipulated into it exactly.
In what way was she manipulated.
Are you saying everyone else neglected to confront the issue?
Did they know she would step in if they didn't?

I think she was made to believe that the issue was important. One particular group member repeatedly moaned about the sleeping arrangements.

When it was clear that no one was going to confront the issue, Martina made it her business to deal with it. They probably knew that she would step in if they didn't (and they probably never intended to).

What she should have done was realised that the tension was being deliberately increased, and should have distanced herself from it, as it had nothing to do with her.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Hmm. Maybe it depends on a person's enneagram. I am the type of INTJ who will step in and help someone, even if it's not my fight, especially if I believe someone is being bullied.
Perhaps she saw herself as someone who was capable of relieving the tension.
Perhaps tension bothers her, as it does me, and allowing it to continue was not an option?

In answer to the OP, I don't think I can recall any time when I was manipulated into becoming confrontational, though I can recall many times in my life when I have handled confrontation, even though I don't particularly care for it. If I was manipulated, I guess I didn't know it.

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I think she was made to believe that the issue was important. One particular group member repeatedly moaned about the sleeping arrangements.

When it was clear that no one was going to confront the issue, Martina made it her business to deal with it. They probably knew that she would step in if they didn't (and they probably never intended to).

What she should have done was realised that the tension was being deliberately increased, and should have distanced herself from it, as it had nothing to do with her.

Given that the upside to my extreme stubbornness is that nobody can make me believe anything, I can't say I relate.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Given that the upside to my extreme stubbornness is that nobody can make me believe anything, I can't say I relate.
tee-hee :smile:
I can relate to that!

Kristiana

MBTI Type
INTJ
I've had ExxJ types try to manipulate me.... it doesn't tend to work very well because my PTSD comes out, I freak out or break down on them, and they get scared :)

ed111

MBTI Type
INTJ
Someone manipulated an INTJ? :laugh:

If someone knows that you are the type of person that will confront people about an issue, then they can use you to front their own grievances and stay in the background themselves. It can be very subtle, for example mentioning something in passing and hoping you get hooked.

You may not realise that this is happening unless it's pointed out to you by someone else, or you may notice that the original instigator keeps quiet during a meeting whilst you take all the flak.