User Tag List

123 Last

ThatGirl

Default Debating or for the kill?

I know a lot of EPs are said to like to debate, I was wondering, how do you debate?

I have a tendency to try to look for the edge and move in for the kill. I want to finalize it. Does everyone debate this way?

MBTI
    XNXP

I guess it depends on the person, or even how they're behaving in that thread/on that day.

I'm not one to just ignore someone being obnoxious, unless I consider them to be a complete idiot. I've considered making an exception to that rule, though, for people who seem to be just trying to make an impression on an audience, and who think they can therefore get away with talking in circles, and other techniques that the casual observer of the exchange wouldn't notice, unless they really looked closely at the debate. I also lose respect for people that go back and edit their posts well after I have responded to them. ( I don't always quote people exhaustively to prevent that. )
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

why would I want to kill them???
    doing that would not allow me to debate them again....

MBTI
    ENTP

Debate or kill, depending on which is more interesting i lean toward.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

if going in for the kill means they are left convinced that i'm right...then yes...i'll go for that...i don't like to argue but if i'm going to i intend to win.

eta: actually...with most people the point really is just to understand each others perspective but if i'm sure i'm right i won't back down....but i may just decide to agree to disagree.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

ThatGirl

no you can post here no specifications.

Actually after a recent conversation I have observed i only go in for the kill if I am not getting anything out of it, quality banter wise, I will just keep reorganizing, refining, and presenting ideas to narrow perspectives into desired catagories.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Eh, I really don't like it, and it's usually pointless, especially if there's no audience, like two people at lunch. But if I'm actually trying to illustrate something, I tend to use innocent sounding traps like "Well you agree about x and y, right?" A lot of people will ignore that their position is irrational though, and say something like "You just don't get it, blah."

MBTI
    ENTP

I don't really have a specific way that I go about debating, I just argue based off what seems like solid reasoning / common sense to me, while throwing in some humor randomly.

I never "go in for the kill". I always make sure it ends on friendly terms, unless the other person came at me with the intent to make me look bad. If that's the case then I try and make sure the other party leaves with as much of their image / reputation destroyed as possible.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I go for the kill only if I need the time or I don't get any pleasure from debating with that one person.

If I consider the debate worthwhile, I won't end until I have to.

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I love debating! And that is debating, not arguing.

Some people can't tell the difference between them. You are challenging their views and they doooont like it so they take it as an attack. The only time I will initiate a debate with someone like that is when they have stated something ludicrously untrue as fact. Then, I am afraid, I have to appear pedantic. That is when I will go in for the kill.

Other than that sharing ideas with someone is great, especially if they are open minded. It is interesting what other people/types will come out with, such as what we will agree and disagree on. It's all good.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump