• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Debating or for the kill?

T

ThatGirl

I know a lot of EPs are said to like to debate, I was wondering, how do you debate?

I have a tendency to try to look for the edge and move in for the kill. I want to finalize it. Does everyone debate this way?

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
I guess it depends on the person, or even how they're behaving in that thread/on that day.

I'm not one to just ignore someone being obnoxious, unless I consider them to be a complete idiot. I've considered making an exception to that rule, though, for people who seem to be just trying to make an impression on an audience, and who think they can therefore get away with talking in circles, and other techniques that the casual observer of the exchange wouldn't notice, unless they really looked closely at the debate. I also lose respect for people that go back and edit their posts well after I have responded to them. ( I don't always quote people exhaustively to prevent that. )

ArchitectofFate

MBTI Type
ENTP
why would I want to kill them???
doing that would not allow me to debate them again....

blanclait

MBTI Type
ENTP
Debate or kill, depending on which is more interesting i lean toward.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
if going in for the kill means they are left convinced that i'm right...then yes...i'll go for that...i don't like to argue but if i'm going to i intend to win. :D

eta: actually...with most people the point really is just to understand each others perspective but if i'm sure i'm right i won't back down....but i may just decide to agree to disagree.

T

ThatGirl

no you can post here no specifications.

Actually after a recent conversation I have observed i only go in for the kill if I am not getting anything out of it, quality banter wise, I will just keep reorganizing, refining, and presenting ideas to narrow perspectives into desired catagories.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Eh, I really don't like it, and it's usually pointless, especially if there's no audience, like two people at lunch. But if I'm actually trying to illustrate something, I tend to use innocent sounding traps like "Well you agree about x and y, right?" A lot of people will ignore that their position is irrational though, and say something like "You just don't get it, blah."

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't really have a specific way that I go about debating, I just argue based off what seems like solid reasoning / common sense to me, while throwing in some humor randomly.

I never "go in for the kill". I always make sure it ends on friendly terms, unless the other person came at me with the intent to make me look bad. If that's the case then I try and make sure the other party leaves with as much of their image / reputation destroyed as possible.

Darjur

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I go for the kill only if I need the time or I don't get any pleasure from debating with that one person.

If I consider the debate worthwhile, I won't end until I have to.

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I love debating! And that is debating, not arguing.

Some people can't tell the difference between them. You are challenging their views and they doooont like it so they take it as an attack. :yes: The only time I will initiate a debate with someone like that is when they have stated something ludicrously untrue as fact. Then, I am afraid, I have to appear pedantic. That is when I will go in for the kill.

Other than that sharing ideas with someone is great, especially if they are open minded. It is interesting what other people/types will come out with, such as what we will agree and disagree on. It's all good.

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
If its recreational I will go for debate and if not I will go for the kill.

An INTP girl and I would take a subject and pick a side with the flip of a coin. The objective would be to provide the most logical and valid arguments to win the case. It was not only fun but interesting. I found myself knowing certain topics far more after having argued them this way.

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If its recreational I will go for debate and if not I will go for the kill.

An INTP girl and I would take a subject and pick a side with the flip of a coin. The objective would be to provide the most logical and valid arguments to win the case. It was not only fun but interesting. I found myself knowing certain topics far more after having argued them this way.

Now THATS entertainment! :yes:

redacted

I know a lot of EPs are said to like to debate, I was wondering, how do you debate?

I have a tendency to try to look for the edge and move in for the kill. I want to finalize it. Does everyone debate this way?

Heh, you know I debate for the kill...

That conversation the other day was hilariousness.

T

ThatGirl

I think there are times when someone says something that you can just step back and look and see the entire whole of the conversation at which point it is almost exhillerating to go for the kill in an effiecient head spinning manner.

Other times I think you may be in shock of what others are saying so your steering their thoughts in order to reveal more information and gain knowledge of all side of their argument.

Other times yet you may be trying to persuade someone or find common ground for differences of opinion. the missing link so to speak.

All the above are fun.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP

I debate by uncovering the heart of the matter. The Truth.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Sometimes the truth is that both sides have an equal claim to different aspects of the whole complexity. In which case, I would state such an argument.

LucrativeSid

If it's about something that doesn't really matter, it's a normal debate. If my own ego is involved, I aim to destroy.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Kill if I think that they're a dangerous idiot... sometimes

the rest of the time it's debate- I'm more interested in playing with ideas and asking questions than flat out killing my plaything (the other person). If I kill, the argument will be over and I'll get bored.

I hate being bored :(