User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Synarch View Post
    Sometimes the truth is that both sides have an equal claim to different aspects of the whole complexity. In which case, I would state such an argument.
    that's absolutely true too and happens quite often to me.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    I know a lot of EPs are said to like to debate, I was wondering, how do you debate?

I have a tendency to try to look for the edge and move in for the kill. I want to finalize it. Does everyone debate this way?
    I prefer to debate in order to understand the other person's perspective and to explore the ideas more thoroughly. That doesn't mean I'll never "go in for the kill", but that is not the style of debate that I prefer. It is much more enjoyable when neither side feels like they have to win.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    I guess it depends on the person, or even how they're behaving in that thread/on that day.

I'm not one to just ignore someone being obnoxious, unless I consider them to be a complete idiot. I've considered making an exception to that rule, though, for people who seem to be just trying to make an impression on an audience, and who think they can therefore get away with talking in circles, and other techniques that the casual observer of the exchange wouldn't notice, unless they really looked closely at the debate. I also lose respect for people that go back and edit their posts well after I have responded to them. ( I don't always quote people exhaustively to prevent that. )
    I try to ignore, but sometimes have to respond. Do people really edit their posts a la 1984? I do this to correct spelling errors.

As far as debating goes, I'll stick with my point for as long as possible, seeking to correct any misunderstandings. I do change my stance but only after a long drawn out debate (much to the obvious frustration of others). Nevertheless I am capable of changing.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ed111 View Post
    I try to ignore, but sometimes have to respond. Do people really edit their posts a la 1984? I do this to correct spelling errors.

As far as debating goes, I'll stick with my point for as long as possible, seeking to correct any misunderstandings. I do change my stance but only after a long drawn out debate (much to the obvious frustration of others). Nevertheless I am capable of changing.
    This is a big difference between P's and J's I guess. I tend to just spontaneously switch sides.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Darjur View Post
    This is a big difference between P's and J's I guess. I tend to just spontaneously switch sides.
    Yeah. I'll wait for a second and figure out which side is being under-represented, then I argue it to the death. Once I finish, I'll switch to another under-represented view.

It's one at a time with me, though.

MBTI
    intp

I am not a fan of debating with most people, though it seems that many take an expression of disagreement as an intention to debate. I'll only be interested in continuing it if I think I can see something new and the other person is being rational. Many enter debate, fragile ego and hurt feelings in hand, and will be driven by those needs first. I can't be bothered because they'll call day night if it suits their aim to be considered . . . at which point I lose any shred of respect for them and return their level of poop on a platter to get them out of my presence immediately. That is not so much a kill as a toss.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    INxJ

I really enjoy debate with individuals that can clearly state their points. I typically go straight for the kill when it's someone I wouldn't want to discuss with, in depth.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    I really enjoy debate with individuals that can clearly state their points. I typically go straight for the kill when it's someone I wouldn't want to discuss with, in depth.
    Same.

But sometimes I enjoy it with people who can't clearly state their points, especially if I swayed them in any way.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Same.

But sometimes I enjoy it with people who can't clearly state their points, especially if I swayed them in any way.
    Yeah sure you did aj! *snorts teh drugs*

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Yeah sure you did aj! *snorts teh drugs*
    Damnit, I must have hallucinated winning all of those debate accolades.