User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    And this was my main purpose to the thread. I was wondering whether, as an IST, I made my learning more "tangible", and I was collecting your stories to see. So far it looks like it, but maybe you guys just haven't thought to mention certain things.
    I can't speak for other NTs but I lived in my head, still do I suppose. Tangible things had very little appeal for me. I never collected things, didn't play with dolls, or build anything. Books appealed because I could escape to another place or time in my mind. I watched TV much less than my peers.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by pippi View Post
    I can't speak for other NTs but I lived in my head, still do I suppose. Tangible things had very little appeal for me. I never collected things, didn't play with dolls, or build anything. Books appealed because I could escape to another place or time in my mind. I watched TV much less than my peers.
    (In case you were sort of replying to me) To be more clear, what I meant was that I spent most of my childhood learning, reading, and thinking, but then I usually transferred that into something tangible. I wanted to "use" what I learned, get my hands on it, to a greater extent than some of you guys, from the way it sounds. Which is fine, I'm just curious.

Like for instance, I was always drawing all over the science books I got. Looking back through them, you see ink everywhere, outlining every shape on the page. I did this with maps, too, tracing everything and sometimes labeling, eventually drawing my own maps while looking at a real one beside me.

Kind of like Orangey said, I learned everything there was to know about dinosaurs, collected tons of information about them, and then I would talk with my classmates/friends about them. We would act like dinosaurs and roam the playground, and if I were pretending to be a 3-fingered dinosaur, I'd make sure I folded in my thumb and pinky.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Hahaha, I had the same crisis as a kid after discussing the book of Genesis with my grandparents at around age 7.

I also distinctly recall experiencing bouts of depression as a child, such as being overwhelmed by all the sadness in the world as I learned of it (Questions about "What is a war?" "Why are there homeless people?" "Why can't I give my squash to the starving kids in Somalia if I don't like it and they aren't picky?" etc.) and questioning the reason for growing up and living at all if all the grown ups were mucking everything up...
    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Wasn't really overwhelmed by the sadness of the world though, just one of the perks from being an NT instead of an NF I guess..
    Not necessarily, I wasn't spared the early existential angst. I was acutely sensitive to other people's pain. Terribly sensitive in every respect, actually. I had to toughen up or I wouldn't have been able to cope.
    And I had a very rich fantasy life - but I suppose all children do. When I was 4 or 5 I used to make up songs about imaginary friends and rabbits and shit. I still have it on tape. It's soooo cute.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Yeah, I never watched TV, either. I watched movies, but not TV. I always had a fascination with the death sequences in Disney movies (usually bad guys falling off an impossibly tall castle or cliff) and enjoyed dreaming of new ways to kill characters.

I've had an interest in movie deaths ever since.

MBTI
    nnnn

I was mostly extremely imaginative and narrative-oriented. My curiosity was boundless. I was constantly asking questions.

Books, creating whole stories for my dolls, wandering around the garden looking for herbs, believing I was the long-lost sister of the druid I'd just read about...I was very much in my own world as a child.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

When I was like 6 or 7 I had a mini-existential crisis about how horrifying the concept of "forever" was to me. Sometimes I would freak out in the middle of the night while picturing myself existing up in space for ever and ever.
    oh geez.
    That is exactly what happened to me.

I was around five or six, and instead of being afraid of death (which at least is a "boundary," I was afraid of "forever" and "eternity" which have no boundaries and thus cannot be understood; and I couldn't sleep and would lay there and cry... and my ISFJ mom would sit on the bed next to me unsure of what to do to make me feel better... and there was no way I could explain it to her in a way I knew she'd understand, so I was still alone.

It was bad.
    I think I never got over it.
    I just block it out of my mind right now, knowing I can't do anything about it, and I'll just have to deal with it once I get there.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    Not necessarily, I wasn't spared the early existential angst. I was acutely sensitive to other people's pain. Terribly sensitive in every respect, actually. I had to toughen up or I wouldn't have been able to cope.
    And I had a very rich fantasy life - but I suppose all children do. When I was 4 or 5 I used to make up songs about imaginary friends and rabbits and shit. I still have it on tape. It's soooo cute.
    Alright, I can see that. I've known NT's (with a lot more N than T) like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    oh geez.

I was around five or six, and instead of being afraid of death (which at least is a "boundary," I was afraid of "forever" and "eternity" which have no boundaries and thus cannot be understood; and I couldn't sleep and would lay there and cry... and my ISFJ mom would sit on the bed next to me unsure of what to do to make me feel better... and there was no way I could explain it to her in a way I knew she'd understand, so I was still alone.

It was bad.
    I just block it out of my mind right now, knowing I can't do anything about it, and I'll just have to deal with it once I get there.
    Yeah the "Oh well I'll just have to deal with it when I get there" line of reasoning is always what would eventually calm me down. The concept doesn't really bug me anymore, but this is probably because my worldview has drastically changed since then.

MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    To the INTs out there:

When you were a child (before puberty), and you were in that phase of exploring and learning so much about the world and its ideas (I assume such a phase exists for you), how did you go about it?

In what ways did you explore new ideas on your own? It's kind of a general question.
    I went against the norm based on Ti and a very personally built Ne (if that makes sense) and it was valid enough to have been true to date.

It had elements of that which now seems more like what mature ENTPs seem to be like, but the parenting aspect of Ne seemed to have made predictions either non-existent or very true. Thinking things through and presenting complete efficient solutions. This had the propensity of manifesting itself in terms of insight.

one simple example... telling people that 'that person looked at me' was a combination of two things.. cause 'I was looking at them'.. stuff like this which led 'thinking' down multiple paths etc

Don't know how much sense I made and if it helped.
    The answer must be in the attempt
    avy url : natgeocreative Photo

MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII None

I used to drive folk crazy asking questions like that.
    Not much has changed.
    exactly!
    I took stuff apart quite a bit.

School was boring.

Most kids couldn't understand what I was on about. I was in my head a lot of the time, trying to figure stuff out.
    it never ends does it?
    teachers ......
    were fed up of my questions (later on in college, a few profs too)
    The answer must be in the attempt
    avy url : natgeocreative Photo

MBTI
    INTP

When I was like 6 or 7 I had a mini-existential crisis about how horrifying the concept of "forever" was to me. Sometimes I would freak out in the middle of the night while picturing myself existing up in space for ever and ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    oh geez.

It was bad.
    ME, TOO. The concept of eternity was the scariest thing I could think of as a child, and it still freaks me out. I never could understand why people thought getting to live FOREVER in heaven was such a great thing. I couldn't wrap my brain around never, ever dying. I was the same way, too--the only way I could stop freaking out was to tell myself I would know how to deal with it when the time came.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
    My sister and I used to create mini-worlds together. I don't see that as an INT thing though, given she's not one (XSFP is my best guess but I could be wrong). Our worlds were more focused on people interactions, like setting up schools with dolls or whatever.
    Yeah, my sister and I would always just improvise this whole little world and then interact as characters in it. Sometimes we'd be the characters ourselves and sometimes our Barbie dolls would. We'd set up the whole framework of the situation, like a plot, and then just play. We'd also play characters in our favorite tv shows, like Charlie's Angels or Wonder Woman or Laverne & Shirley. Probably not an NT thing, as all my friends did that.

I remember reading lots of books, mostly non-fiction. I was kind of trying to figure out the way the world worked, gaining knowledge more than experience. I read lots of biographies, I remember--kind of like wanting to crack the code of "success," which meant just being like the cool people I admired. I know that's not a typical INTP thing--from what I can tell a lot of INTPs can't relate to having role models, but I always did.

I was a quiet kid until I knew people, and then I could talk their ears off, but then I'd be extremely embarrassed if someone pointed that out. I always wanted to know why a rule was in place, and would challenge the rule-makers if I thought the rule was stupid, despite being a pretty easygoing kid. I was argumentative and opinionated, which my mother wasn't thrilled about, but it was never rude or personal. I just felt like my opinion was as important as anyone else's. I couldn't really understand the concept of an adult's opinion being more important than mine, or that someone might not want to hear my opinion.

I would collect information about a certain subject I was interested in from an early age, as well. I loved school, but was bored with the subjects I lacked interest in. I would always try to do my schoolwork as quickly as possible so I'd have extra time to read my library book.
    Something Witty