User Tag List

First 12345 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I did very little physical or sensoral explanation. I explored the world through books, predominately informational ones. I didn't read so many essays when I was young, and I read no fiction.

I did have a tendency to do a lot of fiddling with anything that was new to me (something I still do to a childish extent) but I never went out of my way to explore for tangible things. I just messed with whatever wound up in my lair.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    I can't really remember ever experiencing a phase of more intense questioning than normal. Maybe I did and forgot about it, I'm not sure. But what I knew of reality was very small growing up, and I took most things for granted (like most kids do, I guess). I don't think I ever really grasped the extent of things until I got into my later teens. I suppose I've just never had much of an imagination. I know, I make a poor INT.
    That's part of the point of my thread. I don't care what they say about INTs, I want to hear it from the INTs themselves. So whatever you did is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan
    I did very little physical or sensoral explanation. I explored the world through books, predominately informational ones. I didn't read so many essays when I was young, and I read no fiction.

I did have a tendency to do a lot of fiddling with anything that was new to me (something I still do to a childish extent) but I never went out of my way to explore for tangible things. I just messed with whatever wound up in my lair.
    And this was my main purpose to the thread. I was wondering whether, as an IST, I made my learning more "tangible", and I was collecting your stories to see. So far it looks like it, but maybe you guys just haven't thought to mention certain things.
    Last edited by Cimarron; 11-29-2008 at 07:29 PM. Reason: other post; specify
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs701 View Post
    I remember pondering a lot of small philosophical points when I was very young, such as:
    The color I see in the sky is blue and I call it blue because everyone says that color of the sky is blue. But when someone else looks at the sky, do they see, say, red and call it blue because everyone says that the color of the sky is blue?
    I remember, years later, hearing about how Descartes arrived at his "I think, therefore I am" conclusion and remembered that I had pondered the same kind of thing as a child.

I also couldn't wait to learn how to read. I knew that all of mankind's accumulated knowledge was written down, most of it in English, and I wanted access. Once I could read, I spent countless hours with encyclopedia volumes spread across the floor around me, as the answer to one question raised another question, which raised another, and so on.
    I'm also like that as a kid. Drove my teachers crazy with my constant questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    I had a cousin I used to visit when we were younger, and he was always--always--taking things apart. Like there was a toy pig (Babe, from the movie), with some place on its stomach that repeated phrases when you pressed it. He ripped the fluffy outside "skin" off, I think with scissors and a knife, then used a screwdriver and other things to take the plastic pieces apart, and in the end we had a metal-skeleton robot that walked around, repeating Babe phrases.
    Heh! That kind of reminds me to Toy Story. The spider robot with a doll's head. It's a common NT trait, taking things apart to figure out how it works. The ENTPs I know loves to do that. My impression of other INTs is not so much just taking things apart but dissecting it piece by piece. I'm usually less destructive as a child though. I enjoy building things more than taking them apart.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Yeah, this is me, too.

Except I read and still read trade journals, namely Cinefex, and I've been a frequenter of Internet forums for a very long time, on subjects other than MBTI and the Enneagram.

I read about things related to my passions, and also created fantasy games inspired by them.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I don't really have a strong memory of my experiences from before 4th grade...but my parents tell me that I was always reading something or other. I remember that my dad bought me a crystal radio kit, and I spent an intense few hours building it, which I remember gave me a great feeling of accomplishment. I was also obsessed with erector sets and k'nex, which were kits that came with little pieces to build stuff from. I was proud when I finally built the big, fancy ferris wheel. I would also make little things of my own, like my own robot or my own catapult.

Actually, I do remember being absolutely obsessed with different, weird things from the first grade on. I had become the class expert on whales, for instance, and I remember reading everything there was about whales and reveling in the different categorizations, and how the whales compared to each other. In the fifth grade, I became the class expert on dogs, and I had memorized the entire AKC breed book.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    InTp

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    I took stuff apart quite a bit.
    I still do this. When I buy a new gadget and the clerk tries to sell me the extended warranty, my stock reply is "No thanks, I'm going to void the warranty as soon as I get it home". And I do.

I have a natural talent for disassembly. Reassembly is a skill that I've had to learn.
    Never postpone for tomorrow that which you can blow off entirely. -Me

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    When I was like 6 or 7 I had a mini-existential crisis about how horrifying the concept of "forever" was to me. Sometimes I would freak out in the middle of the night while picturing myself existing up in space for ever and ever.
    Hahaha, I had the same crisis as a kid after discussing the book of Genesis with my grandparents at around age 7.

I also distinctly recall experiencing bouts of depression as a child, such as being overwhelmed by all the sadness in the world as I learned of it (Questions about "What is a war?" "Why are there homeless people?" "Why can't I give my squash to the starving kids in Somalia if I don't like it and they aren't picky?" etc.) and questioning the reason for growing up and living at all if all the grown ups were mucking everything up...

(Sorry for the intrusion... obviously not an NT. Just two cents being tossed in there! xD )

I also read books at a torrential rate.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

As far as toys went, I think I had a healthy obsession with legos, Lincoln logs, kinex, and some others that I forgot the name of. I spend hours building, but I never read the directions or built things how they were suppose to be built. I made a lot of houses, buildings, forts, vehicles...

I put together little scenarios in my head with dinosaurs and the lego people and action figures within the sets I created and acted them out.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Hahaha, I had the same crisis as a kid after discussing the book of Genesis with my grandparents at around age 7.

I also distinctly recall experiencing bouts of depression as a child, such as being overwhelmed by all the sadness in the world as I learned of it (Questions about "What is a war?" "Why are there homeless people?" "Why can't I give my squash to the starving kids in Somalia if I don't like it and they aren't picky?" etc.) and questioning the reason for growing up and living at all if all the grown ups were mucking everything up...

(Sorry for the intrusion... obviously not an NT. Just two cents being tossed in there! xD )

I also read books at a torrential rate.
    Yeah I think religion played a part with me too, and people telling me I was going to go to heaven and be there for eternity.

Wasn't really overwhelmed by the sadness of the world though, just one of the perks from being an NT instead of an NF I guess..

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    My parents made me do enrichment learning outside of school.
    Me too, starting from before I went to school (age 2) to around age 10 or 11. Most of it was fairly mindless though, like rote learning or arithmetic. Then my knowledge outstripped my mother's and I got more mental freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    What about working out models/systems, whether physically or mentally? Kind of like Nightning's story about the Legos...
    What sorts of models/systems do you mean? If you mean mental models of the world or how things work, that only really started to develop for me from around my mid to late teens.

My sister and I used to create mini-worlds together. I don't see that as an INT thing though, given she's not one (XSFP is my best guess but I could be wrong). Our worlds were more focused on people interactions, like setting up schools with dolls or whatever.
    Last edited by bluebell; 11-29-2008 at 08:52 PM. Reason: typo!
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.