123 Last

Thread: NTP buffoonery

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Default NTP buffoonery

I think its well known that NTPs tend to be incredibly insensitive..

This other day..I've heard a story about this one ENTP philosophy professor that I know..when a stranger interrupted his class panicking about her lost purse..

He said...Uhh..I lost my gloves at the ski slope the other day...and she was furious..

Then afterwards my ENFP friend spoke to him after class...

---You lost your gloves...?

---Uhh..I guess I was just trying to empathize...

---I cant believe you said that...

And also...there is this one older INTP that I know..who said the following in this conversation...

So, he was asked, 'I heard your wife(INTJ) got a new job, how has she been doing, still working?"

--Yes, my wife is working...for a very strange company...they fire all the brightest ones first..(she was present in that conversation)

How common is this..? And I am sure most of us NTPs could easily imagine ourselves in their shoes with no sinister motives...but I wonder what other ways the lack of sensitivity impacts their lives..

Anecdotes welcome.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

When my beloved and I were engaged we split Christmas break between visiting my family and visiting his. I wanted to show him things in my home town that meant a lot to me, so I took him to my favorite park. It's thickly wooded and I spent a lot of my teen years wandering the trails with my brother and my friends.

When I was showing him the trees in this place that I love he began an enthusiastic exposition on the cool firefighting machines they have that can very efficiently mow down trees in order to fight forest fires.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    type

SSRIs make it worse.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I don't know if I can give personal anecdotes, because I only see my end which usually winds up with someone pissed at me and I don't know why.

I do know that I have an overly acute sense of humor and I often laugh at a bad situation that a person is going through because I see the irony of it. Sometimes this makes them mad, but sometimes this makes them feel better because they can laugh at the situation with me. Basically a coin toss.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Over the years I have learned when to soften the joking and humor-poking...
    .... well, most of the time. <eye roll>

(Oberon is probably still miffed at me over something that happened probably 14 years ago, after he had confided in me how attractive a particular coworker was, and then at a get-together at a friend's house, I interrupted the entire group conversation by saying very loudly, "But you said she was a looker!" -- right in front of Oberon's wife. Oh, if looks could kill...!)

It does not help that sometimes I simply make a joke about something serious, even though I'm not laughing. It's my way of being whimsical or sardonic, but some people take it a bit too straight-forwardly.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    When I was showing him the trees in this place that I love he began an enthusiastic exposition on the cool firefighting machines they have that can very efficiently mow down trees in order to fight forest fires.
    I don't get it.

You don't happen to have a link to these firefighting machines, they sound cool.
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
    Bertrand Russell

http://rayofsolar.blogspot.com/
    http://zeropointseven.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Back in college, one component of the final exam for atonal sight-singing was the solfege memorization of three songs.

HTB: ...and the third song is "Deutschland &#252;ber Alles."

ENTP PROFESSOR: (indignant, but erroneously) What kind of Nazi are you?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by darlets View Post
    I don't get it.

You don't happen to have a link to these firefighting machines, they sound cool.
    You should PM him. He still loves firefighting apparatus. I still love trees. He still doesn't care about trees and I still don't care about firefighting apparatus.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    You should PM him.

How would me PMing him help me in disrailing this thread?

I can't decide which emoticon I like better?
    or

Anyone else have an opinion?
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
    Bertrand Russell

http://rayofsolar.blogspot.com/
    http://zeropointseven.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    Back in college, one component of the final exam for atonal sight-singing was the solfege memorization of three songs.
    HTB: ...and the third song is "Deutschland
    Last edited by Bellflower; 07-19-2007 at 03:59 PM. Reason: fixed code problem
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.