User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

What's true is that no one likes a smart ass.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    People who habitually make what will inevitably prove be poor decisions in the long run for the sake of momentary satisfaction do so because they are not smart.
    While correlated, impulse control is not the same as intelligence. Most poor decisions come from impulse control and emotional issues, not intelligence.

The question here is - do you find it necessary to show that you are smart all the time, or are you able to adapt to social situations or behave appropriately dependent on the situation? Do you hold yourself to certain 'smart standards' and refuse to relax them?

Having social anxiety to start with, I doubt I can really answer the OP properly. But I do have friends that are on both sides of the spectrum at equal intelligence. And that goes for making poor decisions as well.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    People who habitually make what will inevitably prove be poor decisions in the long run for the sake of momentary satisfaction do so because they are not smart.
    This is true, but the opposite is also true. People who spend so much time contemplating the future that they can't enjoy the moment are also not smart.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ed111 View Post
    What's true is that no one likes a smart ass.
    Depends, I know a lot of people who I would call smart asses and I don't really see them having all that many problems in life due to it.

On the other hand, it probably depends on what your definition of a smart-ass is.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I would call your problem "lack of social skills" rather than "excessive intelligence".
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I would call your problem "lack of social skills" rather than "excessive intelligence".
    Indeed.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    INxJ

I would start by looking at why you'd pretend to like something you didn't, especially for the sake of fitting in. That has Fe written all over it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I never said that intelligence was the cause of this behavior, this is an example of a misinterpretation of my post...whenever the word intelligence comes up people start linning up on the barricades and it obstructs real objective analysis. I stated in my follow-up post that intelligence is to be held fixed. Therefore, if you want to debate intelligence do so in another thread because it would be missing the main point of this one. Here, we are assuming a definitive value so that we can analyze the other variables that affect how the politics of intelligence plays out in real time. While intelligence is one phenomena, how you behave around others in response to your perception of your own intelligence is really what I'm after. It's very straightforward.

Second, the person who said that one of my examples was a function of pure Fe is not thinking critically. If my aunt's feelings were essential in my calculus why would I have ignored her which infuriated her? Such an analysis is overly simplistic. One of the great limitations of Myers-Briggs theory is the tendency to form binary dualisms; it's either black or white; you're either part of the orient or occident; you're either a thinker or a feeler. In many cases, these dichotomizing fictions collide with personality realities.

But one of the underlying purposes of this thread is to get a discussion going wherein some of these critical issues are thought through from multiple perspectives. In reading the responses, we may each learn more and tweak our systems to be more efficient. I appreciate the feedback given so far..keep it up.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Provoker View Post
    Second, the person who said that one of my examples was a function of pure Fe is not thinking critically.
    I didn't say pure Fe. Just that your action of pretending to seem more human, reeked of it. Last half being Fi. See below.

Quote Originally Posted by Provoker View Post
    I found myself working hard to laugh and smile when I thought it was borderline retarded. Obviously, I do this to fit in and appear more human and easy-going. But after, when I am contemplating by myself I feel a sense of disgust for having compromised who and what I really am just for others.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    While correlated, impulse control is not the same as intelligence. Most poor decisions come from impulse control and emotional issues, not intelligence.
    True, of course, but I was responding to the general sentiment, here explicitly stated by Liquid Laser, that, gosh, it's just a matter of personal taste - just because the decision in question fails to take into account obvious facts and fails to arrive at the obvious conclusion can't have anything to do with intelligence!

On a broader level, though, this conversation is merely symptomatic of the overall atmosphere we've arrived at on this message board where it's become taboo to point out that, hey, some people are just stupid and some types are markedly overrepresented among stupid people.