• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTPs: what do you do for a living?

G-Virus

Broud Balestinian
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Just like the title states, what do you do for a living?

Do you enjoy it, or do you wish you did something else?

If you could have/do any particular position/job by flicking a switch, what would it be?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Hehe.

Yeah, the second one.

If you could have/do any particular position/job by flicking a switch, what would it be?
Movie producer. Not director, I'll fire the damned director if he doesn't make my movie right.

JonJT

MBTI Type
INTP
Engineering student. My internships have left me wanting a bit more but since I'm so young, I'm optimistic. We'll see what happens.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
teach
it's okay
michelin-inspector

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
I am a high school chemistry teacher. People tend to overreact and think that an introvert would have a lot of trouble being in a position that demands extroversion. Actually, it is probably much better than any other job I would have. I hate working by myself. Why? Cause I hate working in general. If I am gonna have to do something for 8 hours a day, it may as well be something where I don't have the opportunity to watch the clock and get bored. Cause that's pure hell. In any job, I will not be focused unless I absolutely need to be focused.

That said, lack of boredom is not at all the only reason I enjoy being a teacher. Kids are fun, and I am fun around kids. And it is chemistry, something I can have even more fun with. Teaching also requires a great deal of creativity and spontaneity. It is challenging. Another plus? Lots of vacation and I get the whole summer off.

Why don't I like it? The thing that bugs me the most is bureaucracy. All the committees, organizations, paperwork, etc. etc. Another thing I hate about teaching is the totally rampant idealism that goes on in schools. Bleh! Come off it! Hearing people get preachy about things makes me sick. I teach at a low socio-economic status school, and they would be much better off if they weren't treated as such. Cutting them slack because of their background probably hurts them more by teaching them that they can have standards lowered for them because of their "condition."

The other thing I hate about teaching is when my students do poorly and don't do anything about it. Like when I repeatedly ask for their questions and misunderstandings, and there is dead silence... and then on the test, people do horrible. I don't get that. I would have been silent myself in that situation, but I never had trouble teaching myself the material.

Oh well. The key to surviving any job is being able to come home and forget about it, and not wonder whether or not you're in the right place.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
Pro Moto Billet / Fastway Performance; Turning the Ordinary Part into Art.

The main line of work I do is customer service and sales. Being an introvert I cringe every time the phone rings, and procrastinate on customer-things to do back-end work on the website or working on some other project (fliers, price guide, computer work)

To sum it up, it is nice but something of a stepping stone for me.

By flicking a switch to you mean you'd have all the talents necessary?
Hands down professional blues pianist/singer combo. Call me a nerd but I like the whole lonely bar player smoking a cigarette and sipping scotch between live songs.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Software Engineer / Technical Writer / Technical Artist

It's not bad, but too much impersonal detail and not enough human connection for me now. I can't focus long much of the time anymore.

- writer
- musician
- therapist
- sociologist/psychologist
- graphic artist
- spiritual director
- Haight's job (no... wait... j/k)

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What do you do for a living?

Errmmm... I have no salary. I'm a student that sponges off of my brother and his girlfriend.

In this case of college, I really dislike most of the demands it puts on me, especially in terms of scheduling and travel (not fun when you have no car). I do learn some things in some of my classes, but I think I'd often learn more if I decided to study at home. Two of my professors really amount to the best thing about college right now. So overall, I'd rather do something else.

As for being a slacker. The upside is that I obviously have more free time than I would if emplyed, but the downside is that the stagnation does start to aggravate me. I don't like being useless.

Musician.
Professor.
Game Designer.
Political analyst(I get paid for rambling about the crap I always do).
Political adviser(from running a campagin to setting up policy).
I'd like to do something humanitarian, with a lot of travel opportunities...
Or, I'd like to do something that lets me experiment on people.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
What do you do for a living?

Grad student TA.

Well, this is like purgatory before I make it into the full-fledged academic hell. Really, though, I do like the field I'm in, so I can't complain too much.

Oh, I'd like to be a photographer for something like national geographic. You get to travel and take pictures of all the cool shit you see.

Let's see...

Concept artist
3D character modeler
Art director for films
Make musical scores for films
Film critic
Aeronautical engineer
Cinematographer

Darjur

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Lab. Assistant.

I enjoy it, although I do aim to go higher on the ladder both on the research team and on the Academic prospect. Although I still need to finish my studies for that to happen.

Head of the research team and a professor with Hab. Doc. degree or the Minister of Science.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP

Web development.

It's a good life...

Film producer/director/screenwriter... making documentaries or comedic film. That or a music producer. And I'd like to be in a live electronic semi-improvisational funk/rock/psychedelic group, playing drums.

G-Virus

Broud Balestinian
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I am a high school chemistry teacher. People tend to overreact and think that an introvert would have a lot of trouble being in a position that demands extroversion. Actually, it is probably much better than any other job I would have. I hate working by myself. Why? Cause I hate working in general. If I am gonna have to do something for 8 hours a day, it may as well be something where I don't have the opportunity to watch the clock and get bored. Cause that's pure hell. In any job, I will not be focused unless I absolutely need to be focused.

That said, lack of boredom is not at all the only reason I enjoy being a teacher. Kids are fun, and I am fun around kids. And it is chemistry, something I can have even more fun with. Teaching also requires a great deal of creativity and spontaneity. It is challenging. Another plus? Lots of vacation and I get the whole summer off.

Why don't I like it? The thing that bugs me the most is bureaucracy. All the committees, organizations, paperwork, etc. etc. Another thing I hate about teaching is the totally rampant idealism that goes on in schools. Bleh! Come off it! Hearing people get preachy about things makes me sick. I teach at a low socio-economic status school, and they would be much better off if they weren't treated as such. Cutting them slack because of their background probably hurts them more by teaching them that they can have standards lowered for them because of their "condition."

The other thing I hate about teaching is when my students do poorly and don't do anything about it. Like when I repeatedly ask for their questions and misunderstandings, and there is dead silence... and then on the test, people do horrible. I don't get that. I would have been silent myself in that situation, but I never had trouble teaching myself the material.

Oh well. The key to surviving any job is being able to come home and forget about it, and not wonder whether or not you're in the right place.

Man, for the longest time I wanted to be a chemistry teacher . . . No joke. Only Issue is I hate kids that don't try, so I don't know how well I would do in this field. You have one of the coolest jobs on earth, especially with all the time off.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I'm a project leader/application developer (ie, I do programming and database work while putting up with a lot of bureaucratic crap).

I enjoy the design and building of systems. I despise the forms/bureaucracy, endless back-and-forth with people who aren't willing to listen and/or are aggressively ignorant, and getting caught between management and the client.

Other than the unlikely things, like "uber-successful professional golfer", or "major league pitcher who retired at 30 with more money than he knows what to do with", I'd say:
Author (fiction)
Wilderness Guide / River Raft Guide, etc.
Author (nonfiction)
College Professor (teaching, NOT research)

Those are the only things I can see myself really enjoying even if it's "work". If I could cherry-pick things out of my current job, it'd be up there to, actually... but the negatives drive me absolutely crazy, so I can't include it.

deleted
Get this... I'm a symphonic enthusiast/movie score composer!

Other jobs:
Graphics designer
Computer programmer
Pianist (I play a lot of instruments)
Artist
Self-Music Composer
Theorist/Effigy

track99

MBTI Type
INTP

Well, I'm a pretty successful entrepreneur. This may not seem a compatible fit for an INTP, but I am very heavy on (N) which I rate at 100%. This may explain why I tend to be very spontaneous and am always scheming for bigger goals.

I love the challenges that it presents, because of the complex problems I am sometimes faced to solve not only in business but also in my own personal self. For years, I worked on developing my E and J to an extent where I can now hold my own against natural E's and J's.

One thing I did was force myself to go into sales just to get over my introversion. I studied every book on sales I could get my hands on and over time I eventually became one of the top sales people there, due to sheer pig-headed determination. (To the shock of my sales manager, who wanted me to leave the job at first because she didn't think I was cut for the job).

Probably be a musician, or a dancer. I played classical piano when I was younger for 2 years, and if I had to do it over again, I'd have stuck with it because I LOVE music.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hehe, a thread asking INTPs about work. Change the title to INTJ and you'll get a shitload more responses :D

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
I guess you call it draftman in other places. Here in denmark its called technical designer, I draft technical installations for houses in 2d/3d in AutoCAD.

Im okay happy with it, just wish I was higher up in the hierachy when working for stupid engineers that you cant have no respect for.

I might take a higher education, probably in mechanical enginnering which really is where I want to be working ideally.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I guess you call it draftman in other places. Here in denmark its called technical designer, I draft technical installations for houses in 2d/3d in AutoCAD.

Im okay happy with it, just wish I was higher up in the hierachy when working for stupid engineers that you cant have no respect for.

I might take a higher education, probably in mechanical enginnering which really is where I want to be working ideally.
draughtsman, lol.