User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

Default INTPs: what do you do for a living?

Just like the title states, what do you do for a living?

Do you enjoy it, or do you wish you did something else?

If you could have/do any particular position/job by flicking a switch, what would it be?
    Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty.

"If you go looking for something in particular, your chances of finding it are very bad, because of all the things in the world, you're only looking for one of them. If you go looking for anything at all, your chances of finding it are very good, because of all the things in the world, you're sure to find some of them."

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by G-Virus View Post
    Hehe.

Yeah, the second one.

If you could have/do any particular position/job by flicking a switch, what would it be?
    Movie producer. Not director, I'll fire the damned director if he doesn't make my movie right.

MBTI
    INTP

Engineering student. My internships have left me wanting a bit more but since I'm so young, I'm optimistic. We'll see what happens.

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

teach
    it's okay
    michelin-inspector
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

MBTI
    INTP

I am a high school chemistry teacher. People tend to overreact and think that an introvert would have a lot of trouble being in a position that demands extroversion. Actually, it is probably much better than any other job I would have. I hate working by myself. Why? Cause I hate working in general. If I am gonna have to do something for 8 hours a day, it may as well be something where I don't have the opportunity to watch the clock and get bored. Cause that's pure hell. In any job, I will not be focused unless I absolutely need to be focused.

That said, lack of boredom is not at all the only reason I enjoy being a teacher. Kids are fun, and I am fun around kids. And it is chemistry, something I can have even more fun with. Teaching also requires a great deal of creativity and spontaneity. It is challenging. Another plus? Lots of vacation and I get the whole summer off.

Why don't I like it? The thing that bugs me the most is bureaucracy. All the committees, organizations, paperwork, etc. etc. Another thing I hate about teaching is the totally rampant idealism that goes on in schools. Bleh! Come off it! Hearing people get preachy about things makes me sick. I teach at a low socio-economic status school, and they would be much better off if they weren't treated as such. Cutting them slack because of their background probably hurts them more by teaching them that they can have standards lowered for them because of their "condition."

The other thing I hate about teaching is when my students do poorly and don't do anything about it. Like when I repeatedly ask for their questions and misunderstandings, and there is dead silence... and then on the test, people do horrible. I don't get that. I would have been silent myself in that situation, but I never had trouble teaching myself the material.

Oh well. The key to surviving any job is being able to come home and forget about it, and not wonder whether or not you're in the right place.

MBTI
    IsTP

Pro Moto Billet / Fastway Performance; Turning the Ordinary Part into Art.

The main line of work I do is customer service and sales. Being an introvert I cringe every time the phone rings, and procrastinate on customer-things to do back-end work on the website or working on some other project (fliers, price guide, computer work)

To sum it up, it is nice but something of a stepping stone for me.

By flicking a switch to you mean you'd have all the talents necessary?
    Hands down professional blues pianist/singer combo. Call me a nerd but I like the whole lonely bar player smoking a cigarette and sipping scotch between live songs.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Software Engineer / Technical Writer / Technical Artist

It's not bad, but too much impersonal detail and not enough human connection for me now. I can't focus long much of the time anymore.

- writer
    - musician
    - therapist
    - sociologist/psychologist
    - graphic artist
    - spiritual director
    - Haight's job (no... wait... j/k)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

What do you do for a living?

Errmmm... I have no salary. I'm a student that sponges off of my brother and his girlfriend.

In this case of college, I really dislike most of the demands it puts on me, especially in terms of scheduling and travel (not fun when you have no car). I do learn some things in some of my classes, but I think I'd often learn more if I decided to study at home. Two of my professors really amount to the best thing about college right now. So overall, I'd rather do something else.

As for being a slacker. The upside is that I obviously have more free time than I would if emplyed, but the downside is that the stagnation does start to aggravate me. I don't like being useless.

Musician.
    Professor.
    Game Designer.
    Political analyst(I get paid for rambling about the crap I always do).
    Political adviser(from running a campagin to setting up policy).
    I'd like to do something humanitarian, with a lot of travel opportunities...
    Or, I'd like to do something that lets me experiment on people.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

What do you do for a living?

Grad student TA.

Well, this is like purgatory before I make it into the full-fledged academic hell. Really, though, I do like the field I'm in, so I can't complain too much.

Oh, I'd like to be a photographer for something like national geographic. You get to travel and take pictures of all the cool shit you see.

Let's see...

Concept artist
    3D character modeler
    Art director for films
    Make musical scores for films
    Film critic
    Aeronautical engineer
    Cinematographer
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Lab. Assistant.

I enjoy it, although I do aim to go higher on the ladder both on the research team and on the Academic prospect. Although I still need to finish my studies for that to happen.

Head of the research team and a professor with Hab. Doc. degree or the Minister of Science.