User Tag List

First 123 Last

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by G-Virus View Post
    Just like the title states, what do you do for a living?
    Web development.

Do you enjoy it, or do you wish you did something else?
    It's a good life...

If you could have/do any particular position/job by flicking a switch, what would it be?
    Film producer/director/screenwriter... making documentaries or comedic film. That or a music producer. And I'd like to be in a live electronic semi-improvisational funk/rock/psychedelic group, playing drums.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by zago View Post
    I am a high school chemistry teacher. People tend to overreact and think that an introvert would have a lot of trouble being in a position that demands extroversion. Actually, it is probably much better than any other job I would have. I hate working by myself. Why? Cause I hate working in general. If I am gonna have to do something for 8 hours a day, it may as well be something where I don't have the opportunity to watch the clock and get bored. Cause that's pure hell. In any job, I will not be focused unless I absolutely need to be focused.

That said, lack of boredom is not at all the only reason I enjoy being a teacher. Kids are fun, and I am fun around kids. And it is chemistry, something I can have even more fun with. Teaching also requires a great deal of creativity and spontaneity. It is challenging. Another plus? Lots of vacation and I get the whole summer off.

Why don't I like it? The thing that bugs me the most is bureaucracy. All the committees, organizations, paperwork, etc. etc. Another thing I hate about teaching is the totally rampant idealism that goes on in schools. Bleh! Come off it! Hearing people get preachy about things makes me sick. I teach at a low socio-economic status school, and they would be much better off if they weren't treated as such. Cutting them slack because of their background probably hurts them more by teaching them that they can have standards lowered for them because of their "condition."

The other thing I hate about teaching is when my students do poorly and don't do anything about it. Like when I repeatedly ask for their questions and misunderstandings, and there is dead silence... and then on the test, people do horrible. I don't get that. I would have been silent myself in that situation, but I never had trouble teaching myself the material.

Oh well. The key to surviving any job is being able to come home and forget about it, and not wonder whether or not you're in the right place.
    Man, for the longest time I wanted to be a chemistry teacher . . . No joke. Only Issue is I hate kids that don't try, so I don't know how well I would do in this field. You have one of the coolest jobs on earth, especially with all the time off.
    Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty.

"If you go looking for something in particular, your chances of finding it are very bad, because of all the things in the world, you're only looking for one of them. If you go looking for anything at all, your chances of finding it are very good, because of all the things in the world, you're sure to find some of them."

MBTI
    INtP

I'm a project leader/application developer (ie, I do programming and database work while putting up with a lot of bureaucratic crap).

I enjoy the design and building of systems. I despise the forms/bureaucracy, endless back-and-forth with people who aren't willing to listen and/or are aggressively ignorant, and getting caught between management and the client.

If you could have/do any particular position/job by flicking a switch, what would it be?
    Other than the unlikely things, like "uber-successful professional golfer", or "major league pitcher who retired at 30 with more money than he knows what to do with", I'd say:
    Author (fiction)
    Wilderness Guide / River Raft Guide, etc.
    Author (nonfiction)
    College Professor (teaching, NOT research)

Those are the only things I can see myself really enjoying even if it's "work". If I could cherry-pick things out of my current job, it'd be up there to, actually... but the negatives drive me absolutely crazy, so I can't include it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

deleted

Get this... I'm a symphonic enthusiast/movie score composer!

Other jobs:
    Graphics designer
    Computer programmer
    Pianist (I play a lot of instruments)
    Artist
    Self-Music Composer
    Theorist/Effigy

MBTI
    INTP

Well, I'm a pretty successful entrepreneur. This may not seem a compatible fit for an INTP, but I am very heavy on (N) which I rate at 100%. This may explain why I tend to be very spontaneous and am always scheming for bigger goals.

I love the challenges that it presents, because of the complex problems I am sometimes faced to solve not only in business but also in my own personal self. For years, I worked on developing my E and J to an extent where I can now hold my own against natural E's and J's.

One thing I did was force myself to go into sales just to get over my introversion. I studied every book on sales I could get my hands on and over time I eventually became one of the top sales people there, due to sheer pig-headed determination. (To the shock of my sales manager, who wanted me to leave the job at first because she didn't think I was cut for the job).

Probably be a musician, or a dancer. I played classical piano when I was younger for 2 years, and if I had to do it over again, I'd have stuck with it because I LOVE music.

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Hehe, a thread asking INTPs about work. Change the title to INTJ and you'll get a shitload more responses

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

I guess you call it draftman in other places. Here in denmark its called technical designer, I draft technical installations for houses in 2d/3d in AutoCAD.

Im okay happy with it, just wish I was higher up in the hierachy when working for stupid engineers that you cant have no respect for.

I might take a higher education, probably in mechanical enginnering which really is where I want to be working ideally.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by slowriot View Post
    I guess you call it draftman in other places. Here in denmark its called technical designer, I draft technical installations for houses in 2d/3d in AutoCAD.

Im okay happy with it, just wish I was higher up in the hierachy when working for stupid engineers that you cant have no respect for.

I might take a higher education, probably in mechanical enginnering which really is where I want to be working ideally.
    draughtsman, lol.

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    draughtsman, lol.
    lol thanks

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by slowriot View Post
    lol thanks
    I don't think you read me properly, I was just equating draftsman to draught, as in beer.