123 Last

MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII None

Default ENTPs - courses/subjects in HS & college, & preferred professions

I have finally consistently typed a 13 y/o guy as an ENTP. He has to select select courses/subjects for the next year which will set the direction for his future choices of courses etc in HS and of course college. Given what ENTPs might have a greater interest in and propensity towards and that its best to have one's hobby be one's profession, I wanted to ask what everyone recommends esp. ENTPs.

One line of reasoning says to have science subjects (Physiscs + Chem or Bio), maths for sure and pre cal or HS calculus, economics, maybe accounting too. Its pretty much an open field so I'll appreciate any input.
    The answer must be in the attempt
    avy url : natgeocreative Photo

MBTI
    ENTP

I loved almost everything. I think all ENTs think any form of learning is fun. I really enjoyed and excelled in history and civics, math, photography, chem, english and mock trial. If the school has a Mock Trial team he will most likely love it. If he has a decent coach, it will help produce a good work ethic and it will foster his debating and reasoning skills. It also is very helpful in getting into good schools; on my team five went to Berkeley, two went to UCLA, two went to UCSD, four went to UCDavis, one went to Reeds and one went to Stanford.

I hated, hated, HATED spanish. I studied it for 3 years, and struggled the whole time, but a fellow ENT took it for all for and went onto AP. The only other classes I had trouble with were Bio and Anatomy; too much petty memorization.

I want to be an attorney.

Most people don't really develop a solid personality until 15-16, so he might change a bit.

Ne > Ni > Ti > Fi > Te> Fe > Se > Si

MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII None

Bougal, tks

His elder sib is in law school.

anatomy = memorization = sucks. but otherwise Bio + math is a great combo as is Econ + math a natural one.

As for work ethic, lazy guys? redundant?

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Only science. You've obviously read the online descriptions, or you wouldn't know how to type him. You should know.
    All ENTPs love science and nothing else.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII None

I've had him take various tests repeatedly over the past few months to be sure of his type and in science is his core interest. Add math & calculus to that and then theres the diversity element. That combo is what makes for a broader, diverse and yet relevant base which takes care of future maturity and interest aspects.

Having a 13 y/o decide such stuff is tricky as it is.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

I'd say if a type should have no clear preference for anything, it'd be the ENTPs. And ESPECIALLY when they are so young like 13 years old, since ENTPs usually mature later than other types.

IMHO, deciding what you will do so early on is simply ridiculous. There's so much to discover, so much to make or to observe. ENTPs are usually talented at anything they like, they have amongst the widest range of possible interests. This also explains why they can get bored easily, and can't really choose a profession, even when they are adults.

Anyway, I'd say that any profession that is not repetitive (never!), that allows a good freedom at work, as well as a developped creative side is a possible choice. And that is not necessarily science!
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    I'd say if a type should have no clear preference for anything, it'd be the ENTPs. And ESPECIALLY when they are so young like 13th years old, since ENTPs usually mature later than other types.
    agree with you for the most, and he has shown clear & consistent signs of this
    IMHO, deciding what you will do so early on is simply ridiculous. There's so much to discover, so much to make or to observe. ENTPs are usually talented at anything they like, they have amongst the widest range of possible interests. This also explains why they can get bored easily, and can't really choose a profession, even when they are adults.
    having to make the decision isn't his choice. his school needs him to do so. regardless of that though I was asking what might be the broad enough base to cover at least the more likely bases.
    Anyway, I'd say that any profession that is not repetitive (never!), that allows a good freedom at work, as well as a developped creative side is a possible choice. And that is not necessarily science!
    he can do sketches too so yes science isn't the steel framework he is or should be caged in.

the more suggestions and input I can get, the better I can help/advise him.
    & tks

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

The dominant function of the ENTP is extroverted Intuition.

Intuition is a perceiving function, therefore is concerned with perceiving the external environment.

An extroverted function it derives its inspiration from the external world. Because of this, it easily interacts with the external world. Intuition is also abstract by definition.

Therefore the Extroverted Intuitive naturally excells at interacting with the environment by virtue of abstract perceptions. This is most notable in discussions of ideas that rely on the use of imagination. Because imagination is aimed at the external world, ideas must be about practical affairs.

The ENTP is also analytical by nature because Introverted Thinking is his auxiliary function. Thus the ENTP is most interested in Intuitively perceiving environments that are easily seen as impersonal and systematic.

For this reason Political Science tends to be an ideal enterprise for the ENTP. Complex business do as well, as both require one to intuitively grasp how complex impersonal enteprises tend to function.

Journalism, Sociology and Anthropology are also fitting as they require interaction with the external world and grasping complex patterns observed in one's environment, however because these activities are deeply concerned with the human element, they are more fitting for the ENFP than for the ENTP, yet nonetheless should be satisfactory for the agenda of Extroverted Intuition for the same reason as Political Science and complex businesses are.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    Snip
    Excellent Post.
    Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty.

"If you go looking for something in particular, your chances of finding it are very bad, because of all the things in the world, you're only looking for one of them. If you go looking for anything at all, your chances of finding it are very good, because of all the things in the world, you're sure to find some of them."

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Kaizer View Post
    I have finally consistently typed a 13 y/o guy as an ENTP. He has to select select courses/subjects for the next year which will set the direction for his future choices of courses etc in HS and of course college. Given what ENTPs might have a greater interest in and propensity towards and that its best to have one's hobby be one's profession, I wanted to ask what everyone recommends esp. ENTPs.

One line of reasoning says to have science subjects (Physiscs + Chem or Bio), maths for sure and pre cal or HS calculus, economics, maybe accounting too. Its pretty much an open field so I'll appreciate any input.
    I can do well in any subject you throw me in, but I seem to excell in the biological sciences. I also enjoy interacting with people on a daily basis, so I am applying to medical school right now. My Bachelors was in Biochemistry, but to be honest with you, 13 is way too young to be pushed towards anything. Let the guy have fun and try everything out. ENTP's are usually jack of all trades and masters of almost none.
    Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty.

"If you go looking for something in particular, your chances of finding it are very bad, because of all the things in the world, you're only looking for one of them. If you go looking for anything at all, your chances of finding it are very good, because of all the things in the world, you're sure to find some of them."