• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Mindmates - how far will you go?

pippi

MBTI Type
xxxx
Then, why even ask me? I am not reading through it. Besides I hate INTPc. Much of smug mugs.

Clearly you are not involved in this discussion because you actually want to learn about the concept. Now I regret trying to answer your questions.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Clearly you are not involved in this discussion because you actually want to learn about the concept. Now I regret trying to answer your questions.

I hope we are friends and that we communicate from here on out with respect and mutual understanding.

Edited: Received a warning for insults.

Last edited:

Poser

Fe, rusted.
MBTI Type
INTP
Couldn't this lack of recognition instead result from a failure in creativity by the observer?

A function of creativity is the thoughtful exploration of seemingly unrelated connections. Bridging less-than-visible points towards the creation of a tangible panorama.

So maybe the connection is the same for all temperments but the NT (who is unable to convey their emotions into adequate words) would describe it as a mindmate whereas the NF would describe it as a soulmate?

Delilah

We all got it comin' kid
MBTI Type
INTP
So maybe the connection is the same for all temperments but the NT (who is unable to convey their emotions into adequate words) would describe it as a mindmate whereas the NF would describe it as a soulmate?

That's as near as I can figure it, but since I don't believe in soulmates, how can I buy into something that is essentially the same thing?

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
the NT (who is unable to convey their emotions into adequate words)

I would be hesitant about making statements like that, because it implies that there's something internal and constant in NTs that prevents them from expressing their feelings. It might be the case that it doesn't come natural to some people to express themselves in words, but it's something you can develop if you practice learning to identify what you're going through, have the guts to communicate it, and learn the right words to convey your feelings so the other person is receptive.

Last edited:

Chemgrl82

MBTI Type
eNTj
Enneagram
8w7
I think that they all fill the same type of needs in each temperament. While mindmates and soulmates can appear similiar, it seems that they may focus on different aspects of the relationship. While I think that there is a very thin line between these two, they can be distinguishable in certain dynamic relationships. I get the impression that soulmates is more of an all-encompassing thing, fulfilling each area of a persons life, including emotional health and nurturing. Mindmates can be more centralized around each other's psyche. Just because you're comparing apples to apples doesn't always make them interchangeable, imho.

I don't think we're too quick to compare a mindmate to a playmate or a helpmate, because the needs met there are a bit more distinguishable.

Poser

Fe, rusted.
MBTI Type
INTP
I would be hesitant about making statements like that, because it implies that there's something internal and constant in NTs that prevents them from expressing their feelings. It might be the case that it doesn't come natural to some people to express themselves in words, but it's something you can develop if you practice learning to identify what you're going through, have the guts to communicate it, and learn the right words to convey your feelings so the other person is receptive.

But don't all NT's have weak (tertiary or inferior) feeling functions? I would think that it wouldn't come natural for most NT's to express their feelings or even be distrustful of them. Of course, with work, someone could develop it. That is why the term mindmate might click with an NT because of the time they spend in their own minds.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
But don't all NT's have weak (tertiary or inferior) feeling functions? I would think that it wouldn't come natural for most NT's to express their feelings or even be distrustful of them. Of course, with work, someone could develop it. That is why the term mindmate might click with an NT because of the time they spend in their own minds.

Right. My point was that even if it doesn't come naturally (meaning, it's not already there), it's not something you're stuck with. It's one of the problems I see in MBTI: people thinking that their type excuses them or makes it impossible for them to develop the weak parts of their personality. No such thing, it's just harder.

Poser

Fe, rusted.
MBTI Type
INTP
Right. My point was that even if it doesn't come naturally (meaning, it's not already there), it's not something you're stuck with. It's one of the problems I see in MBTI: people thinking that their type excuses them or makes it impossible for them to develop the weak parts of their personality. No such thing, it's just harder.

Agree completely. But if you were to try to express something as vague as connection to a group of people you would use the language they are strongest in. That is why I am thinking that maybe mindmate wasn't intended to define something different but rather define the same thing differently for different people.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Mindmates stems from an intellectual connection that begets an emotional/intimate connection.

When it happened to me, I didn't know what it was, so I freaked out and got all secretive about it. Which only made my wife suspicious and led to all sorts of unnecessary drama for several years. Later it settled into a good friendship and no one is threatened anymore by its nature.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Mindmates stems from an intellectual connection that begets an emotional/intimate connection.

When it happened to me, I didn't know what it was, so I freaked out and got all secretive about it. Which only made my wife suspicious and led to all sorts of unnecessary drama for several years. Later it settled into a good friendship and no one is threatened anymore by its nature.
she herd u liek mudkips?

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
Couldn't this lack of recognition instead result from a failure in creativity by the observer?

:yes:

It's the same on the mm thread on INTPc. Those who've experienced it get it. Some of those who haven't experienced it can't imagine what it would be like and therefore conclude it's BS. *shrug*

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

It's the same on the mm thread on INTPc. Those who've experienced it get it. Some of those who haven't experienced it can't imagine what it would be like and therefore conclude it's BS. *shrug*

I don't think that was what Night was saying.
Was it?
I seem to be in a world of incomprehensibility today.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Those who've experienced it get it. Some of those who haven't experienced it can't imagine what it would be like and therefore conclude it's BS. *shrug*

Do they get it though? There are several different definitions here. I don't think everyone is talking about the same thing. That's why I was pressing for a common definition - seems there isn't one. Ergo, there is no such thing.

Delilah

We all got it comin' kid
MBTI Type
INTP

It reminds me of a theist trying to explain to an atheist how they "know" god exists.
Some people will never believe it until they see it themselves. I'm one of them, I would like to, it sounds cool, but I don't.

Funny thing though, even if it were to happen to me, I would probably need someone to tell me because I wouldn't see it.

/dunce

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Do they get it though? There are several different definitions here. I don't think everyone is talking about the same thing. That's why I was pressing for a common definition - seems there isn't one. Ergo, there is no such thing.

Yeah, there may be some over-intellectualization going on for what could be a relatively simple phenomenon.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It reminds me of a theist trying to explain to an atheist how they "know" god exists.
Some people will never believe it until they see it themselves. I'm one of them, I would like to, it sounds cool, but I don't.

Funny thing though, even if it were to happen to me, I would probably need someone to tell me because I wouldn't see it.

/dunce

You don't have to see/feel God's existence to understand the concept of God though.

People are just being lazy/ineffective at explaining this concept.