• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Mindmates - how far will you go?

MBTI Type
ENTP
Sounds like an ENFP.
I don't like it. :ninja:

I don't know that a non-NT could be a mindmate to an NT. Not that NTs are the only smart ones, but there's a stark inefficiency to intellectual understanding between NTs and non-NTs. It's like playing Scrabble with someone who doesn't know English.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't know that a non-NT could be a mindmate to an NT. Not that NTs are the only smart ones, but there's a stark inefficiency to intellectual understanding between NTs and non-NTs. It's like playing Scrabble with someone who doesn't know English.

Bullshit. I connect very well with INFJ's, for example. Very satisfying.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't know that a non-NT could be a mindmate to an NT. Not that NTs are the only smart ones, but there's a stark inefficiency to mental stimulation between NTs and non-NTs. It's like playing scrabble with someone who doesn't know English.

Ah, but she wasn't talking about intellectual conversations. She was talking about someone knowing what you are thinking without you having to say anything. I've only experienced this with NFs and it is freaky.

Mental stimulation is entirely different, it requires a certain amount of conflict to produce something new. Without conflict it is sterile, it's just affirmation.

The trouble is, everyone seems to have a different idea of what it means.
I'm still not sure I am understanding. I'm with Delilah at this point, I think it is just a romanticized notion.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
You're implying that NF's are less intellectually inclined.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Ah, but she wasn't talking about intellectual conversations. She was talking about someone knowing what you are thinking without you having to say anything. I've only experienced this with NFs and it is freaky.

Mental stimulation is entirely different, it requires a certain amount of conflict to produce something new. Without conflict it is sterile, it's just affirmation.

The trouble is, everyone seems to have a different idea of what it means.
I'm still not sure I am understanding. I'm with Delilah at this point, I think it is just a romanticized notion.

It doesn't have to be romanticized if you've defined it in a way that you've experienced in reality. Also, since there's no dictionary definition and usage isn't that common I'm ok with people defining it different ways. Although I'd prefer they defined it in the strictly intellectual sense because otherwise I don't see as much of a distinction between it and soulmate.

MBTI Type
ENTP
You're implying that NF's are less intellectually inclined.
Well, they do tend to be. But that's not what I was saying exactly.

Put it this way, NTs and NFs don't have all the same priorities.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I think that is because it's a bunch of made up crap and voodoo. :dry:
I agree. NT supremacists invented a concept to make themselves feel special.

The idea that certain connections can only be achieved between certain types or temperaments is complete bullshit. At best, it's only self-delusion. Humans aren't discrete.

Delilah

We all got it comin' kid
MBTI Type
INTP
I'm with Delilah at this point, I think it is just a romanticized notion.

:yes:

I have had some pretty great connections with NTs and NFs, but the whole mindmate thing still completely eludes me, maybe I am just incapable of that kind of connection, but I am gonna have to call bullshit.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
I'm confused.

Why would an intellectual connection necessarily be a good thing?

Further, what is an intellectual connection -- either from a social or romantic standpoint?

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I agree. NT supremacists invented a concept to make themselves feel special.

The idea that certain connections can only be achieved through certain types or temperaments is complete bullshit. At best, it's only self-delusion. Humans aren't digital.

What's the difference between a 'mindmate' and a 'soulmate'? We're all talking about the same thing: mutual recognition, intimacy, relationship.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'd think that a mental, as opposed to a intellectual, conversation would be a good thing. More as in you can say something and not have to explain yourself because the other person understands it perfectly.

It doesn't indicate that it would even end up romantically, but it's a good feeling to run across anyone who you can just be around instead of having to feel taxed by worrying that your comments won't make sense :blush:

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
What's the difference between a 'mindmate' and a 'soulmate'? We're all talking about the same thing: mutual recognition, intimacy, relationship.
That's my point. The NTs that believe in this haven't experienced anything unique. They just want to believe they have.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I think OP's decision to use the term 'mindmate' is intended to minimize her own conflicted feelings, rather than a strict definition of the relationship between her and her mindmate.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8

Couldn't this lack of recognition instead result from a failure in creativity by the observer?

A function of creativity is the thoughtful exploration of seemingly unrelated connections. Bridging less-than-visible points towards the creation of a tangible panorama.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I think OP's decision to use the term 'mindmate' is intended to minimize her own conflicted feelings, rather than a strict definition of the relationship between her and her mindmate.
I was referring to the concept, in general. Have you read any of the thread on INTPc?

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Couldn't this lack of recognition instead result from a failure in creativity by the observer?

A function of creativity is the thoughtful exploration of seemingly unrelated connections. Bridging less-than-visible points towards the creation of a tangible panorama.

I have no clue how that relates to what I said. Please explain. I am having trouble connecting the dots.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It doesn't have to be romanticized if you've defined it in a way that you've experienced in reality. Also, since there's no dictionary definition and usage isn't that common I'm ok with people defining it different ways. Although I'd prefer they defined it in the strictly intellectual sense because otherwise I don't see as much of a distinction between it and soulmate.

Subjective experience makes it more likely to be a romanticized notion, not less.

If it is a real/consistent concept, one should be able to grasp it without experiencing it.

Just because there isn't a dictionary definition, doesn't mean we shouldn't be able to pinpoint what it is, and what makes it different (if anything) from other connections.