User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    infp

Thanks for all of these replies - each has really got me thinking

I havent worked out how to do multiple quotes (can someone tell me?) so quotes are in bold

They love to screw around . . . so so so much.
    I recognise this as being who he is

If you want to have fun with him, then up the sarcasm and whoop him at his own Ne game by being just as quick.

I really wish I could but I can only do this when I feel safe with people - then I can be as quick

[QUOTE][/QUOTE]Prepare something to say when he crosses the line, but also prepare something to lighten the situation and show him that he doesn't have to be guarded from that point on. Something reassuring, funny, and genuine.

this is what Ive tried to do and have had some success with but I can never relax when he's around

It would take a very confident INFP with good extraversion skills to do this, and even then she would be vulnerable to being caught off guard and distracted and pressurised by having to deal with it at a moment's notice.

So well understood ragashree - I do have some good extraversion skills - I have to have in my workplace - but I have to plan carefully in terms of how I use them - this entp wit is so quick I cant keep up.

However, bronte, I wonder what your part in this is. I don't get the impression of you being very pro-active about it so far (though I could be wrong). Did you actually SAY anything to him about it. Directly? If you are seething or hurting inside but don't let anything show he is not likely to work it out for himself. If you want anything to change I really do think the best option is to be straightforward and direct with him and tell him what the problem is and when it is occuring, and that although you like him as a person you feel uncomfortable being around him when he says and does X, Y, and Z. If he really does like you and respect you I would hope he can be mature enough to at least try to work on his behaviour. If he's just looking for someone to bully and act as a passive target for his remarks, however, you might want to be a little more judgemental than is your wont as an INFP and consider that you are entitled to respect yourself, and are not obliged to be nice to anyone who is not prepared to give you it.

The thing I find most difficult is his lack of respect for others - the thing he does which really upsets me is slagging other people off - I do challenge him and tell him he's wrong about the person and thats when the piss taking starts. Once in a meeting when he was being really obnoxious and laughing at the suggestions other people made I told him he was being disrespectful and I directly challenged him - he didnt speak to me for a couple of days and then acted like everything was ok again.

Yet at times he can be very decent and his work is brilliant - I know I can learn a good deal from him and I respect his experience, his knowledge and intuitive understanding of his subjct area - I just wish I could relax a bit more around him -
    I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.
    Maya Angelou

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

For all the ENTP's out there..would it help to just speak to him privately and explain your concerns, so he realizes that she occasionally feels uncomfortable because of the jokes although she does respect and even like him?
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    For all the ENTP's out there..would it help to just speak to him privately and explain your concerns, so he realizes that she occasionally feels uncomfortable because of the jokes although she does respect and even like him?
    Most definetly. We take personal matters very seriously and do not wish to protrude on the boundaries of others, we often do it on accident with no malice intended. The golden rule does apply to ENTP's so do treat us like you wish to be treated, as in, if you would want someone to tell you that you are bothering them, then do the same for us.

I am pretty sure the person would respond appropriately, just be sure to explain your preferences and hopefully the ENTP will realize what your needs are and try to accomodate them. If you respect us, we respect you.
    Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty.

"If you go looking for something in particular, your chances of finding it are very bad, because of all the things in the world, you're only looking for one of them. If you go looking for anything at all, your chances of finding it are very good, because of all the things in the world, you're sure to find some of them."

MBTI
    ENTP

There was a similar thread that may be useful to you.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ear#post275791

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Fiver View Post
    There was a similar thread that may be useful to you.

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ear#post275791
    This is idd very useful
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”