First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Please don't hate me. (because I'm beautiful?)

Sigh.
    I can't hate you, you just brought in a new ball of string for me to chase, =^.^=

Oberon

If I was going to use that avatar, I should have named myself "Reepicheep."

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    I can't hate you, you just brought in a new ball of string for me to chase, =^.^=
    And Jennifer's beautiful, too. Just ask her mother.

Quote Originally Posted by oberon67
    Was Windows NT really NT?
    Windows 4 iNtuitive?

Ha... hahaha... haha... hahahahaha*falls over*

hahahahahahahaheeeeeee.... hahahahahahaha...

*gasp*

hahahahahahaha...*passes out*

[edit]
    That was funny enough on its own, but then I found this article from March, 1993
    Windows 4.0? Rumors are that version 4 will be much, much easier to use than any incarnation of version 3 (3.0, 3.1, or 3.2, if there is one). Apparently, you won't have to figure out the system of files and subdirectories--you'll simply be able to request a document with an easy-to-use query system to get the document from the database (your hard disk). Then the system will find it for you and figure out what program to start running, and up will pop your document. Farewell, File Manager. I for one won't be sorry to see it go.
    Now that sounds "NT" (in both senses of the term), too bad it took until Vista (Feb, 2007) to manage something that works somewhat like this.

Oberon

Yes, well, as far as Vista goes, they can have my Windows XP when they pry it out of my cold, dead fingers. As it stands now, I'd entertain notions of switching to a flavor of Linux before going to Vista.

I like Vista, the enhancements to the various sub-systems are fantastic, and it only gets better once they back-port the kernel changes from Server 2008 to Vista with SP1.

It just needs some third party tools to disable/remove a few portions of the "WOW".

Vista problems aside (UAC is a joke), XP now feels clunky and weak to me.

What are you looking at in terms of Linux? I have messed with various distributions over the years but nothing fit me very well.

(I suspect some of this may end up split from the thread. <_<)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I'm waiting for a few of the bugs to be picked out of Vista before I get carried away with it.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Ashi, K? View Post
    I like Vista, the enhancements to the various sub-systems are fantastic, and it only gets better once they back-port the kernel changes from Server 2008 to Vista with SP1.

It just needs some third party tools to disable/remove a few portions of the "WOW".

Vista problems aside (UAC is a joke), XP now feels clunky and weak to me.

What are you looking at in terms of Linux? I have messed with various distributions over the years but nothing fit me very well.

(I suspect some of this may end up split from the thread. <_<)
    Well, Ashi, I'm not a programmer nor a power-user. I need my computer to run a few applications and support web browsing and e-mail. From that perspective, XP Pro provides everything I need...when I plug something into the USB port, it's working shortly thereafter. Other than that the OS stays out of my way.

I'm not really a Microsoft fan, but I find that Windows XP Pro is functional and stable, probably the best OS in that regard since Win98, and is easier for those of us who want our computer to be a kind of appliance. It delivers that kind of performance without the huge memory and disk footprint of Vista. Plus, it doesn't call the mothership at regular intervals, having mined your data.

Quote Originally Posted by oberon67 View Post
    Well, Ashi, I'm not a programmer nor a power-user.
    I'm also not either of those, I don't even care about the applications, I just need to manipulate my data (ridiculous amounts of images and documents).

I use OSX, and I was just making conversation since you brought up Linux.

Vista stays in a virtual machine, no phoning home allowed.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Sniff. I miss Windows 3.1.

Not.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft