User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Riddles!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Liquid Laser, actually:

If door number one is the blue door, the door to freedom could be either door number one or door number two. Only door number three is impossible. To wit:

Scenario one: door one is blue and it is the path to paradise:

Freedom is not behind this door = false
    Freedom is not behind this door = true
    Freedom is not behind the blue door = false

At least one of the doors is correct and at least one is false. Criteria met.

Scenario two: door one is the blue door and door two is the path to paradise:

Freedom is not behind this door = false
    Freedom is not behind the blue door = true

Again, criteria met.

Scenario three: door one is the blue door and door three is the path to paradise:

Freedom is not behind the blue door = true

Criteria are not met. Hence, door three is impossible.

This holds true if either of the first two doors is the blue door. In short, if either of the first two doors is the blue door, the door to freedom could be either of the first two doors and the criteria would be met. However, if the blue door is either of the first two doors, door three cannot be the door to freedom.

Edit: actually, this doesn't contradict what you said at all. Apologies!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Ragashree:

Your solution is nice, if I understand correctly. I believe you mean such:

Walk up to, say, the left guard. Point to the guard on the right. Ask him, "Would the other guard say that road leads to heaven?" Here, making it evident you are asking about the road behind the guard you are not talking to. If the guard response in the affirmative, this means one of two things:

1.) He is the truth-telling guard and, as such, is telling you truthfully that the lying guard to the right, being a liar, would lie and say his road lead to heaven even though it leads to destruction (or Hell or whatever.) You should enter the road of the guard you are querying.

2.) He is the lying guard and, accordingly, is lying: the other, truth-telling guard, were you to ask him, would tell you truthfully that the road behind him leads to hell. In this case, as well, you should enter the road of the guard you are querying.

It works in the reverse. So, yeah, very nice!

Another possible solution: ask if the lying guard is the one guarding the door to paradise.

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    Heh, try telling that to an ENTP, I dare you!
    Accusing someone of being an ENTP and of doing something merely for the sake of appearing intelligent would be redundant!

OH but I kid!

...70%

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
    Ragashree:

It works in the reverse. So, yeah, very nice!

Accusing someone of being an ENTP and of doing something merely for the sake of appearing intelligent would be redundant!

OH but I kid!

...70%
    Does the ability to do all that convoluted thinking come from Ti?
    If not, which function is it?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

Riddle 2 is a classic Logic game you will find in most critical thinking/logic books.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

Adam is a man-slut (or playa for some) that has two girlfriends he likes equally. Each Saturday afternoon he visits one of them, and in hopes of not having to decide, he used his logic and knowledge of limits to infinity. Since both of them live on the same train line but in opposite directions from his train station, he simply strolls right into the station and hops on the first train to come. If the eastbound train arrives first, he visits Jackie, and if the westbound train comes first, he visits Donna. Since there is an equal number of eastbound and wesbound trains, Adam reasons that in the long run he will visit them with more or less equal frequency. After a few months, he realizes the he is visiting Jackie four times more often than he is visiting Donna. What is Adam' mistake?

(Hint, think of the P and Q values of the random walk and remember that the probability in a gaussian distribution should always equal 1).
    Last edited by G-Virus; 11-11-2008 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Got Sarah on the brain . . . thanks blackop

MBTI
    intj

Quote Originally Posted by G-Virus View Post
    After a few months, he realizes the he is visiting Jackie four times more often than he is visiting Sarah. What is Adam' mistake?

(Hint, think of the P and Q values of the random walk and remember that the probability in a gaussian distribution should always equal 1).
    Poor Donna....odd woman out. Sarah must have bigger breasts....but Jackie reminds him of his mother.

*edit* Hey, you changed the question. I thought that was the puzzle......
    "A species of perfection and fantasy"......

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Yes, Mycroft, that was it, thanks. I was a bit drunk when I first answered and altogether too lazy to type it out in more detail after doing a couple of other long posts, sorry I wasn't clearer.

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Does the ability to do all that convoluted thinking come from Ti?
    If not, which function is it?
    If you meant me (I presume you did), it was good old inferior Te, I suppose. It's quite good for solving concrete problems in combination with a healthy dose of secondary Ne (should tell you what type I am with a bit of problem solving deduction) but isn't so much use for the more abstract and theoretical kinds of reasoning such as those used in higher mathematics. At least not in my case, but then it is meant to be my inferior function if MBTI actually does what it says on the can! My understanding is that Te works better when it can focus on concrete external matters, wheras Ti seeks to build a private internal system of understanding and is comfortable with building this understanding on theories which may have no immediate practical application or association with concrete objects.

Despite my putative natural disadvantage, I really didn't have much trouble with either questions 2 or 3, though as I had had a few drinks before reading the thread I was a bit unsure about whether I was missing something. Question 1 is a horrible counter-intuitive thing, I remember, however, coming across it in a novel I read a couple of years ago called "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime" where it was solved by the protagonist, an autistic teenager. It would have been cheating to try to answer it as I remembered the original (not sure I'd have got it on my own though!). However, I simply don't know the kind of maths that seems to be needed to properly answer such a question as the one just posted above, though I can make a reasonable guess. I imagine that question will most likely be solved by an INTP, or maybe an ENTP, as they have the strongest combination of openness to the necessary theory in Ti and and Ne to do the actual mental leap necessary to solve the problem. But maybe I'll be wrong

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

Hi Rag, you don't need anything but a good set of inferior Te (J/k) to solve the above problem. I was just giving the gaussian and random walk stuff as a hint for those who took stats or quantum mechanics because they should know the answer in a heartbeat.

Really, if you can do fractions, then you have all the math skills you need.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by G-Virus View Post
    Adam is a man-slut (or playa for some) that has two girlfriends he likes equally. Each Saturday afternoon he visits one of them, and in hopes of not having to decide, he used his logic and knowledge of limits to infinity. Since both of them live on the same train line but in opposite directions from his train station, he simply strolls right into the station and hops on the first train to come. If the eastbound train arrives first, he visits Jackie, and if the westbound train comes first, he visits Donna. Since there is an equal number of eastbound and wesbound trains, Adam reasons that in the long run he will visit them with more or less equal frequency. After a few months, he realizes the he is visiting Jackie four times more often than he is visiting Donna. What is Adam' mistake?

Do the trains run nonstop 24 hours a day all days of the week?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ENTp

sure All day all the time 24/7

Just to let you guys know, this riddle involves no word play or any of that clever mumbo jumbo, what you see is what you get.